• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why linemans loops?

always89y

Vendor Rep
SH Member
I did a search to see if this has been discussed much earlier, but I have t admit, my search engine skills are lacking.

So, my question is, why dedicated linemans loops? It seems that on a lot of the saddles I have seen, the linemans loops come out right at the bridge loops, typically a bit further back. Some are right in the middle of the bridge loops. Why cant one just use the bridge loops while climbing for the linemans rope? One person I talked to said "so that you can transition from the linemans to the tether". I think you can do it just fine from the same loops.

It seems the linemans loops on a typical saddle are just additional weight, and another potential failure point. Thoughts?

Not an expert, but I believe you want linemans loops right on your hips, and usually you want bridge loops a bit lower and with more mobility, where you want linemans loops pretty fixed in position.

When I was using a mantis, for srt/drt I tried using my linemans belt in linemans loops as a shortened bridge, this was unreasonably uncomfortable, so i tied one side of linemans belt into my bridge loops, worked fine, and then I tried to use linemans belt, still in bridge loops to climb with WE steps and etrier, didnt work nearly as well, when I leaned back it didnt feel nearly as secure as it does in linemans loops.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Clutter is one of safety’s worst nightmares. So is slack. Using your bridge loops for more than your bridge introduces both clutter and slack into your system. Depending on your bridge material, it may even introduce carabiner clashing which is not ideal or super safe.

They are not an absolute requirement, you can use bridge loops for both. With that said, dedicated linesman loops are much more practical due to the wider fixed position. Climbing on sticks or WE steps, especially with knaider/swaider combos, requires extra leg lift and movements, and a bridge loop attachment tends to get in the way more than dedicated loops.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Back