• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why not just wear base layers

Huntorbhunted

As the title says why not just wear a base layer? Instead of spending all the $s on expensive outer garments. Could keep your regular outer garments in a tote and put them on when you get out of the truck. Just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My scent loc outer jump suit has a home in a clean plastic bag in my truck. I put it on when get out of my truck and put it back in it's bag before I get in my truck. I am new to scent loc this year. I just thought it can't hurt.

As the title says why not just wear a base layer? Instead of spending all the $s on expensive outer garments. Could keep your regular outer garments in a tote and put them on when you get out of the truck. Just wondering.

You can do that without a doubt. A lot of guys do. However, if not mistaken the base layers do not have as much concentrated carbon per square in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That's exactly what I have done for years. Finally broke down and bought a new base layer when ScentLok had a sale.

In theory, the outermost layer is most effective. The thinking goes it encapsulates the body and all the rest of your layers.

I use the base layer setup myself. It is cheaper and more versatile. When you are in your saddle it becomes the outmost layer anyways. Your scent control is only as good as your saddle, pack, ropes, straps and all the rest of your "outer" gear. It's a package deal.

I wash all my stuff in scent lock and keep it in a tub or a scent lock bag but my best scent control is accessing and hunting on the right wind, I spend alot of time making sure I have really good access points. Then I wear first lite base layers and layer them as required for the temperature.

Did a diy scent control tote with an amazon ozone generator, and have scent control base layers and outer wear (after years of clearance racks and Christmas’s.) the tote is big enough to handle pack, saddle and all the goodies. Fair warning - ozone is hard on synthetics.

I know ozone is hell on rubber but I have not seen any info that it is bad for all synthetics. Have you had any problems with your gear?

I haven’t yet. But any plastic type matetial is degraded by ozone. To my understanding that is why I have to replace our rescue ropes every 10 years, used or not. It’s the variable we can’t control.

I haven’t yet. But any plastic type matetial is degraded by ozone. To my understanding that is why I have to replace our rescue ropes every 10 years, used or not. It’s the variable we can’t control.
I have some experience with ozone from my work history. I know first hand that it eats rubber fast but there are plastic parts that survived for years in a high ozone environment. Maybe they were special material? I don't know but there are some synthetics that can handle it. I wonder how our saddle materials are rated for ozone? Time for a little research.

I did exactly that this year and saw a lot of deer up close both on the ground and in the saddle. I also started using a cheapo ozone unit in my cooler I use for my clothes and putting my clothes on in the field which I believe helped a lot too. I can't say 100% if the carbon base layers were the determining factor or the other precautions I took but I did see a lot of deer really close. I still play the wind as well. End of year specials on outer garments are about the same cost as the base layers so there's also that option.

I do both. I wear baselayers and throw what I call riding clothes on over the top that I only wear in my truck when I'm driving to my spot. When I get to my spot those come off. I hike in to my spot and as I cool off and get cold I then put my outer upper layers on. I wear the scentlok base layers because that is the only layer I'll have on for the majority of the time I'm hunting, or at least for the first few hours so I want all the help I can.

Back