• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why?

Jaredsmeltzer

Why do you guys use platforms. Doesn’t that take away from being able to swing around the tree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you guys use platforms. Doesn’t that take away from being able to swing around the tree?

That’s a good question, one I have wondered about myself. It’s been years since I hunted out of a Treesuit and what attracted me was being able to move around the tree on a ring of steps. But with the lack of good steps available these days the platform made out of treestand parts seems viable.

That’s a good question, one I have wondered about myself. It’s been years since I hunted out of a Treesuit and what attracted me was being able to move around the tree on a ring of steps. But with the lack of good steps available these days the platform made out of treestand parts seems viable.

I would like to find a good ring of steps

I use a ring of steps, I've looked at all the different platforms on here and I haven't tried it because of weight and size. My favorite part of saddle hunting is how small and compact I can go in. If I use climbing sticks and a platform I'm not far off treestand weight. I'm interested if anyone has any other benefits that may make it worth it but I do really like my ameristeps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use a ring of steps, I've looked at all the different platforms on here and I haven't tried it because of weight and size. My favorite part of saddle hunting is how small and compact I can go in. If I use climbing sticks and a platform I'm not far off treestand weight. I'm interested if anyone has any other benefits that may make it worth it but I do really like my ameristeps.

I’m looking for a ring of steps. Any suggestions? Or build my own?

I found some ameristeps and did 5 with a ratchet strap and I love it. Goes up quick, it's light and I can shoot 360 around the tree easy.

I could not find Ameristeps that were not crazy expensive, so I bought 6 Bullman steps and use a ratchet strap that Boudreaux links to in his youtube video setting them up. I have not sat with them yet to see how they feel on my feet, but have set them up on a tree, and that ratchet gets them snug and sturdy!

The idea behind the platform is that it gets you further out away from the tree so you can shoot around it easier without having to walk around the tree. You are not standing on it like a locon, you are leaning off the edges. But the bigger the tree the harder it will be to shoot around so you may need a step on each side. I started with ameristeps, next year I jumped on the platform bandwagon, the next year went back to ameristeps. I didn’t like the length and bulk of the platform which isn’t much different than a strap of 5 ameristeps but it is. You actually can get more shots off from a platform with less movement but it’s not that much more depending on tree size. Its just a personal thing and finding what you are comfortable with and a system of carrying and installing that you get use to.
I just got wild edge stepps to try. It looks like that may be my climbing and platform option for this year. It’s all about building a system personally for you. Only way to know what’s best for you is to play with different options. I’m always learning.

I want to see the new platform being developed by guys on this site. Last year I used ameristeps 90% of the time. I did not want to carry a platform. I can see the advantage of a platform if you are hunting low . I may use it more where I am hunting low on small trees.... less movement to take a shot. Hunting high, I can move around a tree and use it for cover and get away with more movement.

I want less weight, less stuff, less bulk and some comfort so I can hunt all day and walk farther than most hunters. If I could get one of those 2 pound platforms that Ernie was selling or if the guys on this site make one, it will fit what I want and be closer to ameristeps in weight and bulk.

Those Klemz style platforms that fit in a pack look great.

There is no right answer to this question. Some guys really like the Ameristeps and screw in ring-of-steps. I do. I use them for preset stands.

I use the platforms when I'm mobile. I feel like it's easier/quieter to setup on the tree. I also tend to hunt smaller trees when I'm mobile and the platform works really well on trees 16" diameter or less. You don't have to move as much to make certain shots.

Also, not all platform styles are created equal. I had one of the XOP styles and I ended up selling it. It was too big and bulky for me at about 4lbs and not very packable. The Klemz style that I'm using now is pretty much unbeatable. It's less than 3lbs, and it packs easily.

The only way to really know is to try. Luckily, the resale market is pretty good for most of these things.

Check out the Saddle Hunter map and see if there's someone near you that would let you try it out.

I use a set of 5 or 6 ameristep on a ratchet strap as a platform. I also was going to try WildEdge steps as a platform. The reason I don't use a one of the seat platforms that a lot of guys use I like to be able to walk around the tree. The nice thing in the old treesuit was you could hold on to the belt and turn around for a shot.

Personally, I've only just got into hunting from a saddle. Coming from a lifetime of using treestands, the platform it is a lot more "relatable". Sort of a hybrid treestand option and I like that at this point. I wouldn't mind if my platform were even a bit larger. I built a "Klemz" style platform and it is a major reduction in bulk from my treestand and packs up really nice. I am ok with packing in some some stuff for comfort and effectiveness, some of the stuff I see is a proverbial race to zero to cut as much weight as possible, seems silly to me personally but that's why it's great saddle hunting is so customizable. From my perspective the platform style is what sold me on saddle hunting, I never would have bought a Kestrel if not for realizing that option was out there.

My goal is to shoot 360 with as little movement as possible and thus far practicing, I can shoot 360 from all the trees I've tried in my yard. In some cases I have one foot one the platform and the other just kind of cradle the tree with my leg and still have stability to shoot. When I set up my saddle to "sit" it's just too much movement to get in shooting position, in my estimation. Just my opinions as a new guy to this. Will probably change over time but that's where I'm at right now.

Easier on the feet is the main reason for me. This lead to longer times on stand.

You guys are probably sick of me posting this but here it goes....

20180130_171911.jpg 20180201_165643.jpg

I have been beating the crap out of them for a few weeks and they are holding up great. I have another fifteen of them stuck in customs right now because the seller mis-coded them as stents, a medical device, which would require a bunch of hurdles to be cleared before they release them. I told them they can open the box and look if they like. Hopefully they are here soon. I find them very comfortable and they are very light. I will have four sets set up as permanents, one set will be used for mobile. I may buy more.

You guys are probably sick of me posting this but here it goes....

View attachment 4172 View attachment 4173

I have been beating the crap out of them for a few weeks and they are holding up great. I have another fifteen of them stuck in customs right now because the seller mis-coded them as stents, a medical device, which would require a bunch of hurdles to be cleared before they release them. I told them they can open the box and look if they like. Hopefully they are here soon. I find them very comfortable and they are very light. I will have four sets set up as permanents, one set will be used for mobile. I may buy more.

I got 6 of them, but after checking out Bowell's Bullman platform at MI Outdoorama I'm leaning more that direction. Have you found a good way to silence them yet?

I tried strap on ameri steps but struggled with foot fatigue. (I am a leaner) Got a platform and haven't looked back. It is a bit more of a pain to pack but the comfort is much better. I also think it is less movement at the time for a shot. I also have found it easier to get set up in a really thick tree where you are wedging in between branches so to speak. Had one sit last year where the only tree to set up in was a rough old bull pine. Spent the evening standing sideways on my platform due to all the limbs in my way. Saw 9 deer that night but none I wanted to shoot. Would have been tough to set up there with steps.
But this is just my personal preference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know most of you seem to be using traditional or compound bows based on other posts and I definitely see the benefits of platforms for those. For anyone using an xbow, is there any preference or significant difference between a platform or ring of steps?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back