• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge Stepp Rope Length

donnieballgame

I'm looking at adding a set of WE stepps to my climbing methods for next year and I was curious what folks thought about rope length. My initial thought was to get the 8 foot ropes so I can tackle bigger trees but maybe that won't happen enough for the extra weight/bulk. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm looking at adding a set of WE stepps to my climbing methods for next year and I was curious what folks thought about rope length. My initial thought was to get the 8 foot ropes so I can tackle bigger trees but maybe that won't happen enough for the extra weight/bulk. Thoughts?

I have the 6' ropes and I like to hunt pretty big trees. It can be frustrating when you find the perfect tree only to find out your ropes are 2" to short to tie the knot. However, I don't think that I would carry an entire set with 8' ropes because it would add a lot of extra bulk. If you like to hunt big trees I would consider getting 8' ropes on the bottom 2 or 3 steps, if you typically hunt trees that you can easily reach around the 6' ropes will be fine.

Donnie I have the standard length. There was only one tree I couldn’t climb last year that I wanted to. The lone wolf straps wouldn’t go around it either. They lacked by about the same amount to give you an idea of what the standard rope will fit. Using the new way to tie the knot the extra length wouldn’t bother you much. I’m considering adding a five step aider to my pack and using it when I need extra height or when the base of the tree is huge but tapers down quickly.

I agree with GCTerpfan - more the exception - but I ran into it a couple of times where the best tree was forked at the base and really wide. I picked up bolts and an EZKut to help solve that issue. You wouldn't SRT in that scenario?

I've went down on tree size since I started saddle hunting, but there is always a chance that the perfect tree is big. 6ft is probably good enough 90% of the time. You could always make a couple 8ft amsteel ropes to keep in your bag just incase. I'm really glad i made the change to all amsteel ropes. They pack so much better. With the slip knot I've been using, I think it would have been better to make them 8ft, because the slip knot uses a little more rope to tie.

I've went down on tree size since I started saddle hunting, but there is always a chance that the perfect tree is big. 6ft is probably good enough 90% of the time.
I hunt big trees all the time but I find that big trees are better for presets. If you are going mobile the bigger the trees get the harder they are.

I like the 6' ropes and had no problem with tree size. If I scout ahead and the trees are to big then when I want to hunt the bigger trees I would just use my lonewolf sticks.

I had the same thought and went with the 8 footers. If I were to do it over again I would stick with the 6 foot ropes. They're plenty long for most of the trees I climb. I have been considering shortening all but two of my ropes leaving me a couple to get around trees with big bases.

Awesome thanks for the feedback fellas, I might get a few 8' and the rest 6', seems like a good compromise.

I will use srt for presets, this will be for run and gun, but I hate being limited to what tree I can hunt.

what do you guys do with the excess rope while climbing? Just let it dangle? I feel like it draws extra attention to the tree once you're set up but then again climbing sticks do too

I take the tag end and tuck it into where the rope meets the tree. It stays tucked in pretty good.

what do you guys do with the excess rope while climbing? Just let it dangle? I feel like it draws extra attention to the tree once you're set up but then again climbing sticks do too
I take the tag end back under the stepp and tuck it between the rope and the tree. If the tag end is too short then I just pinch it in the knot side. The small loop formed flaps less in the wind than the loose tag end.

Back