• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild edge vs Climbing Sticks

pblclandbow

Undecided what route I want to use in my saddle setup this year. Which do you guys prefer and why?

Way to much fiddle factor with the wild edge for me. If you don’t plan on using Knaider/Swaider/aider of some sort it’s double attachments you need to make on the tree. Also, the wild edge loosen up on some trees if you are not careful. Tried climbing a softer bark tree once and had a few sink in and kick out on me.

I would recommend climbing sticks over the wei any day of the week.

I think that it depends on your style. I like compact, tight simple setups. Both are great options for this, but I went with the WEsteps for two simple reasons: they're more compact, and they have no moving parts.
The steps are not better or worse, it's just a matter of your style preference and your tolerances!

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I made the switch to Wild edge stepps last year and it was worth the learning curve. I only use 4 stepps and just the swaider to get to hunting height and the packing up and carrying is 100 percent better! Before I was using 4 of the 17in Leverage sticks

I use both. If I am not sure of my destination, I prefer to carry the steps. I use "The Cain Method" for climbing. The learning curve with the sticks is much shorter. Stock sticks are kind of bulky to carry, compared to WE Stepps.

I personally felt that dealing with 3 lines on the tree was simpler than 5 or 6. So I modified my Helium’s to cut weight and profile and added and aider to get even higher than I could previously. I use a button and the setup is FAST.
9b1f0e07651d9714b738872c44f46054.jpg
5d538e650273d8022c280edd9f047f9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a ton of threads on here related to this topic of you want more in depth info. I personally have modified lone wolfs and love them. I have on occasion found spots where I thought a step maybe better. I have debated going in with my 4 sticks and 2 WE steps for more versatility. Specifically where the tree you want has a bit of a gnarly shape to it. Not owning any steps I have no experience to know if the extra versatility is really a thing or just in my mind. They could double as a platform as well.

I never have used WEI and rarely use sticks but when I do I have modded some sticks by shortening them down and adding an aider. I don't think I would like all the tying and camming for the WEI, but to each his/her own.

Anyone who like using sticks more that WEI steps send me a PM and I'll take your temptation to return to the stepps away from you. Right now I only have (2x) steps and used them as a platform. Love them for this. I am (was) a very loyal LW sticks fan until I moved to Tampa and have to hunt public land in Florida. Having hunted in NC, SC, OK, VA, OH and a couple other states there is nothing like the catch-me vines and underbrush of these Florida swamps.

I'm thinking of selling my 34" ATA bow for a shorter one because my current bow is maybe too long...

On a serious note, the marginally longer time spent installing some WEI steps will be more than worth the effort of getting back to where the deer live in a predictably quiet manner.

Undecided what route I want to use in my saddle setup this year. Which do you guys prefer and why?
The Wild Edge (Jim Stepp) steps are the most compact lite weight climbing method. There is a little learning curve to them but I like the fact I have no noticable weight on my back. When you carry sticks you have to take precautions to reduce noise from rubbing on brush and tree branches. Lots of exposed metal to accidentally make unwanted noise. Its personal preference, but I can tell you that when the WE steps go on sale here they are sold in minutes...Well common sense would tell you guys must like them. My advise, go to a saddlehunter rendezvous and try out every climbing method and ask plenty of questions. Seasoned saddlehunters who attends these events are there to help you out
Good Luck
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life

I tried the WE steps and just couldn’t get comfortable with them. Had issues getting them to always cam properly. The modified Hawk Helium’s are my go to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought stepps from Jim about 10 years ago or so. Used them very little early on due to fiddle factor. When I switched to saddle hunting, fitting everything in a backpack became an imperative. I tried the stepps out again, and find them easy as pie now. I’ve used sticks exactly once in the last 3 seasons.

I use bolts a fair amount now, but if I’m not using them, it’s 4-8 stepps depending on how I’m climbing and what saddle I’m using.

I can’t stand packing sticks as much as other folks can’t stand camming stepps.

Buy both used, use them alternating for a season. You’ll know what’s best for you at end of a season, maybe two. Then sell the loser and you’re out 20.00 for shipping.

I use the single stick climbing method 95% of the time using a shortened Hawk Helium with a short aider attached to the bottom standoff. I like the fact that the shortened stick is light, packs in my pack and doesn't rattle on the brush as I walk through. For me and the areas I'm hunting this method is the easiest, generally most versatile method to climb most any tree from 6" to 2' in diameter even if I have to go around limbs.

Edit: If I'm not single sticking I'm using the WE Stepps using a modified Cain's method to increase the spacing without needing a long aider.

I use the single stick climbing method 95% of the time using a shortened Hawk Helium with a short aider attached to the bottom standoff. I like the fact that the shortened stick is light, packs in my pack and doesn't rattle on the brush as I walk through. For me and the areas I'm hunting this method is the easiest, generally most versatile method to climb most any tree from 6" to 2' in diameter even if I have to go around limbs.

Edit: If I'm not single sticking I'm using the WE Stepps using a modified Cain's method to increase the spacing without needing a long aider.
Another benefit. Less metal to handle and pack up and carry and very fast and easy to attach

Back