• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Will Ozone weaken tethers and bridges?

Chickenhawk

I've read a post before that garments in a tote loaded with ozone will loose some elasticity. Not sure, I've never done this before. Anyone have any experience with ozone weakening tethers or bridges??

I have no experience with tethers and ropes but I do with clothes. I have had the elastic waist bands in long underwear, a pair of first lite kabab pants that had elastic in the back panel ,suspenders on Sitka fanatic pants and some stretchy hats all ruined by ozone.

I still use ozone on my gear but am very selective what goes in the bag and for how long. The first lite pants I didn’t even realize they had elastic / rubber in the waist band. Once the rubber breaks down a bit it off gases like crazy. Like burnt rubber smell.

Some companies like Sitka actually replaced the suspenders for free even though it was no fault of theirs. I would be careful.

I don't know for sure but I would not put my ropes in with ozone. I put mine in a scent free bag and I leave it at that.

I know the tethrd guys put their gear through a lifetime equivalent ozone test and their gear passed with flying colors.

Your question got me thinking. If it breaks down elastic, what does it do to your lungs?
Nothing good ! At least from the articles I looked up and read.

Everyone has to make their own risk assessment, but I have no concerns of ozone on my saddle, bridge or tether.
I've been using O3 in totes to treat gear for over 10 years and I've see no degradation of anything other than elastic and rubber, and even at that, the damage has been very minimal. It could be because of how I use O3?? IDK.
Everything I treat does not get stored in O3, the O3 is only used for short treatment times to deodorize and once the cycle is ran, all gear containing rubber/elastic is allowed to off-gas, and then stored in tubs or bags to protect from contamination.
The other garments that don't contain rubber/elastic may or may not be allowed off-gas. Some of my clothes remains in an O3 environment for more extended periods and I believe, if O3 was harmful to non-rubber gear, I would be seeing major damage. A lot of my clothes have been repeatedly treated for more than 10 years with no signs of damage.
Rubber boots are another issue. O3 does reduce the life of boots. Not horribly IMO, but it does shorten their life. I still treat boots as I feel boots are one of the main odor producers. I'm willing to buy a new pair of rubber boots every 3 years if it means reducing odor. It's a small price to pay.

But O3 treatments on life supporting gear is an assessment that each and everyone has to make for themselves.

Your question got me thinking. If it breaks down elastic, what does it do to your lungs?
Nothing good ! At least from the articles I looked up and read.
When using ozone machines you are not supposed to be in a confined space with the unit. I use one in my car . I put it on for 30 minutes the night before I hunt and I wait for about an hour after the unit is shut off before I load my gear in the car. You are right you don't want you to breathe alot of ozone.

Last edited:
Used my ozone generator in the car once on the drive to the property I hunt. Got a real bad headache. Now I crack a window.

I'm glad you guys are saying this. One watches these hunting shows with guys sitting in their blinds ozone machine running by their head. I always think ,thats nice the windows are open,but if your hunting right the winds in your face anyways. So it's blowing that ozone back at you.
Some times whats done for commercial reasons ,shouldn't be done in real life. IMO

I'm glad you guys are saying this. One watches these hunting shows with guys sitting in their blinds ozone machine running by their head. I always think ,thats nice the windows are open,but if your hunting right the winds in your face anyways. So it's blowing that ozone back at you.
Some times whats done for commercial reasons ,shouldn't be done in real life. IMO
I think the OP was referring to NON FIELD use of O3. He was asking about treating gear, not about running O3 generators in the field.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Another ozone tip is DO NOT use it with anything wet. It will react with the water molecules to form hydrogen peroxide, which will bleach and do other damage to clothes and gear in that scenario.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think the OP was referring to NON FIELD use of O3. He was asking about treating gear, not about running O3 generators in the field.

If you or the original poster feels I derailed his post I apologize it really wasn't my intent.
This said though, I did think it important to impress the importance of not only gear issues but important possible health ones as well. People are generally visual learners, not all we see is accurate. Lots of us hunter watch these hunts with guys in small blinds with ozonics just over there shoulders.

If you or the original poster feels I derailed his post I apologize it really wasn't my intent.
This said though, I did think it important to impress the importance of not only gear issues but important possible health ones as well. People are generally visual learners, not all we see is accurate. Lots of us hunter watch these hunts with guys in small blinds with ozonics just over there shoulders.
Oh no, I didn't think you were derailing. I think that anytime O3 is discussed that exposure to it should be mentioned. I was just stressing (not yelling) that the OP was referring to gear treatment.

Wow, really appreciate all the info. Also didn't know about the water and Hydrogen peroxide thing! I just went through my first season of saddle hunting. I'm just a freak about what has me tied to a tree.
Some time I may put a piece of rope or tether that is wet under a lot of ozone, then stress it with my truck or hydraulic Jack to see what happens....just curious

Back