• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wind Indicator Feather

BowhunterXC

While I was cutting, trimming, etc. with my turkey flight feathers, I ran across some of the tail feathers that I'd saved. I thought they sure are pretty, but not strong as flight feathers for use on arrows. :) Then I remembered seeing "wind indicator" feathers tied to a traditional bow, for simple wind direction.

I cut near the tip end of the tail feather, but left a piece of the stem to tie on a piece of sinew to attach to my bow. I made one for my recurve and one for my longbow. :cool: Simple creation, looks good and they'll serve me well, while hunting.
Wind Feather 2.jpg

i think a downy feather would be better on a lightweight thread,,
but a full feather does look cool drifting around in a breeze.
they always got twisted up on my string, so i quit putting them on my bows.

Love it.

Best thing I've found for an on-bow windicator is a bit of filament they use for tying the body of fly fishing flies. Can't remember the name of the suit but I bought a roll of it and it works great. Let me know if anybody needs some and I'll mail you some. I don't actually fly fish so the rest of the roll is available.

I'm in agreement with you guys on the milk weed and I've been using it for about 3 years. :)
As cool as the feather looks, appearances aren't everything. :rolleyes:
The functionality of a frayed piece of yarn would work better, last longer and tend to give a better reading on actual wind direction. :cool:

Best thing I've found for an on-bow windicator is a bit of filament they use for tying the body of fly fishing flies. Can't remember the name of the suit but I bought a roll of it and it works great. Let me know if anybody needs some and I'll mail you some. I don't actually fly fish so the rest of the roll is available.

I use Antron Yarn. Comes in any color you want, available at your local fly shop or on line. I put it on my bows like this:

Attachments

• IMG_0099.jpeg
    IMG_0099.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 36
Us southern hunters just have to look at the thermacell smoke......hahahaha
West coast hunters just look at the smoke too......whats à thermacell
Some feathers will just spin, making it hard to quickly read the wind.
Yes. i had humming birds react to it like a bug.typicaly just look at the spider webs on my bow from walking through the brush.

I vote Milkweed, let's you know the wind direction as well what the thermals are doing.
Though milkweed serves a different purpose than having something on your bow…. Milkweed is is good for understanding where your scent is going and how air currents move through a region. A wind detector on the bow is a quick reference used to understand how the wind is going to impact your arrow. It’s nice to be able to account for windage in a split second in the full draw position.

Though milkweed serves a different purpose than having something on your bow…. Milkweed is is good for understanding where your scent is going and how air currents move through a region. A wind detector on the bow is a quick reference used to understand how the wind is going to impact your arrow. It’s nice to be able to account for windage in a split second in the full draw position.

At that point, I'm not thinking about anything but the shot. At stickbow ranges, windage is typically a non factor.

Back