• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wooden platform

Fairchild#17

I decided to make a wooden leaner/sitter combo platform to attach to the top of my stick. I’ll remove my top step on the lone wolf and attach it with two bolts
I made it out of 3/4 oak, but I might try a second one from clear pine or poplar to try to shave some ounces. This one comes in at 2.6lb and it’s solid as a rock with the full length gussets.
15 degree angle on the leaner section.
Held together with 2.5" "uber grade" GRK screws. I was going to take it apart and glue it if I was satisfied with it, but I'm not sure I need to. It's solid.
Hopefully I’ll get a chance to climb with it and stand in it in the next few day.
Not sure if I’ll need to add traction to it or not.

I might also make a second one as a stand alone platform. Just fasten a second board perpendicular to the back of the platform. Add 2 tree cleats to the the back of it and probably a versa button above and below the platform.
saddle platform 2.jpgsaddle platform 3.jpgsaddle platform 4.jpgsaddle platform.jpg

If you like it, you could shave some weight by cutting through the support ribs and top with a holesaw. Maybe something doorknob sized on the sides and a pattern of 1” holes on the top? Might help with traction too.

I thought about that.
I'll probably leave the gusset solid because it's a pretty important piece (maybe a few small holes just for looks), but the standing/leaning platform could loose some meat without compromising it's integrity.
I might notch the edges as well like you see on the metal platforms for boot grippers. Or possibly a row of hex head screws on the edge like studding a tire?

Just brain storming. So far this platform has cost me nothing other than some scrap laying around from jobs.

I think your gonna want more lean on the angled piece after a while. Try it like you got it though. you can always take more off down the road. Im building one very similar from aluminum

as far as rigging it to the tree look how the "scout solo" grips and straps down.

Back