• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wool

Bowtie747

SH Member
Been seeing some threads about wool. How about a thread for places to get it. Any experiences you have had with that certain brand. I’d like to find more companies that make products like Asbell wool? Or base layers. Thanks

Happen to know if black Ovis is 100% wool? Any experience with em their stuff
It’s ok not first lite but not bad and for the price it’s doesn’t kill your account to try it. I’d also say watch eBay for companies like core 4 element and other old merino makers

This is copied from part of a post I just did in another thread. If you already saw this I apologize however I talk about specific items from brands and if I didn't buy them direct where I did buy them.

I like Amazon merino.tech lightweight t-shirts, they give you a free pair of socks which are a looser weave and not the best however they come with the shirts. I also like their underwear. Mostly washed in regular wash dry cycles

I initially wore minus33 base layers however I found over time they do not hold up if washing and drying in regular cycles. I do not have shrinking issues however they develop runs.

Firstlite has very durable base layers which I use regular wash and dry cycles. You have to be careful with their obsidian pants as they shrink if you run them in regular wash and dry cycles.

BlackOvis mid weight hoody very durable washing and drying in regular cycles.

I have a couple Kuiu Zip T hunting shirts and they are super comfortable however I am not quite sure how durable their Nuyarn is when using regular wash and dry cycles

I have had good luck with Amazon Zealwood athletic ankle socks washing them in regular wash and dry cycles

I have mostly Darn tough socks from light weight to expedition weight and everything in between.

I also like the amazon meriwool 250 gram base layer bottoms, very durable regular wash and dry cycles. I am going to try some of their other stuff.

I have a couple pieces of black Ovis. It’s a little coarser wool a doesn’t wash up as nice as some other brands I’ve had. I’ve also had some smart wool and minis 33.

The best value I have found by far is Meriwool. It’s 100% wool. I have 2 sets that I not only wear hunting but wear 2-3 days per week all winter long. One set is 4 years old and the other 2 yrs old now and both are still in great shape.

Filson wool is second to none.
LL Bean Maine line used to be pretty good.
Cabelas Wooltimate line, if you can find pieces. It’s discontinued now but occasionally will pop up on eBay and other sites.

If you are looking for outerwear Johnson Woolen Mills in VT make great outerwear.

The green check is the original camo

I have an Asbell wool pathfinder jacket ( I believe that is the proper name). It keeps you warm and dry. The only con is that it's heavy.

Being a bit of a cheapskate I stick with Big Bill and Field & Forest. Forest green and grey, bibs and cargo pants. I think a jacket or anorak is in my future, I really like the looks of Asbell's stuff.

I have a couple pieces of black Ovis. It’s a little coarser wool a doesn’t wash up as nice as some other brands I’ve had. I’ve also had some smart wool and minis 33.

The best value I have found by far is Meriwool. It’s 100% wool. I have 2 sets that I not only wear hunting but wear 2-3 days per week all winter long. One set is 4 years old and the other 2 yrs old now and both are still in great shape.
Are you able to compare the Meriwool to First lite?

Are you able to compare the Meriwool to First lite?

I’ve never owned FL but I’ve handled it. I personally don’t see enough of a difference to make me spend the extra money. I know the FL base layers have some nylon and spandex so they may very well last a little longer but, it’s twice the price.

First lite is good stuff. Don't get it unless its on sale though.

For wool outerwear I've been eying sleeping Indian. 100% US made and seems to be hugh quality

Back