• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Workbench Ideas

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
I had to disassemble my current workbench. It was a computer desk with the bow press, and bow vise mounted directly to the desktop, and the shelving part of the desk where the flimsy cardboard backing was there was a section of pegboard. So what i have to work with is some wood, a 24x48 section of pegboard, shelving brackets, a 2 tier wire shelf, a LCA green bow press, an Apple Archery bow vise. I have the winch and stuff to set up a draw board, but dont have the right setup for it right now.

I have an idea in my head(crude picture below), and I think it will work, but I also wanted some ideas from people that have set up their own workbenches and things they have found that works and doesnt work.

Looks good... just think you'd have more workspace without that LCA press hogging up all that real estate... I'd do the neighborly thing and head over from Wisco to assist with the removal and "disposal", just let me know .

Looks like a nice plan though.

My first reloading bench, I made too deep... I think 5'x3'. My current bench is only 18" deep. Everything in comfortable arm's reach. My benchtop is 1 layer of 3/4" birch ply over 2 layers of 5/8" OSB, and I have a grid of 3/8" T-nuts, like @CZMark describes, for holding loading presses and a vice and whatever else I want secured in place. I've also seen T-track used; a more heavy-duty option would be conduit track.

Your diagram shows the pegboard hung vertically... I'd put it horizontally, maybe with a shelf above it, and some LED under-cabinet lights on the bottom of the shelf.

Going from a re-purposed computer desk, you're probably not using it for anything heavy-duty. If that's all you're going to use it for, then fine, but if you might need to use it for something a bit more forceful you might want to step up the weight capacity. It's better to under-use and over-built workbench than the reverse. If you've got the lumber I'd build it out wood instead of wire shelving. Alternately, if you're spending money, the Gorilla Rack shelving from the Big Orange Box makes great workbenches, and it's what I made my reloading bench out of. I made it when I was renting and needed something I could easily disassemble; now that I'm a homeowner if I were to start over it would be either site-built out of lumber, or cabinets and countertop salvaged from Facebook or Craigslist or whatever.

I mounted my LCA press on 2x4s so that I can move it off the bench to have more room when it isn't needed.

The 2x4s provide a base so that the press won't tip over while in use.

My bench has a plywood top. I installed threaded inserts to mount my bow press, reloaders and other assorted gear. With the inserts, I can easily bolt and secure, or unbolt and remove items as needed.

I got the inserts at the local hardware store, this is what I'm talking about: https://www.amazon.com/Flanged-Thre...663550753&s=industrial&sr=1-11&ts_id=16410701
I did the same exact thing. Press can come on and off in a second. I also made it to accept my crappie jig tieing vice to the same holes. FYIW I hate peg board. I put up 3/4 ply wood. I screw whatever I want directly to it or you can get fancy and make a French cleat system.

I bit the bullet and bought the legs or stand that fits with the EZ Green press, then I move it out and away from my bench so I can also use the draw board feature. It doesn't clog my bench up so I can do other work on it. and it is still light enough to move around my work room and out of the way when I want it to be. I also added a BAP vise to one side of the EZ Green so all the bow stuff is on the EZ green and not my actual work bench.

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 67
0A290F1A-11A3-4575-BEC4-ADA484C881CA.jpegThis is what I used. Reinforced where my reload press bolts down and used j bolts to hold bow press legs. Plenty or storage for archery and reloading other than the multiple 8# kegs of RL 23&26 under the table on a shelf I added.

edit: Its a 6’ Craftsman work bench with the drawer stack from Lowes.

It depends on what you want to do on a work bench, as to how big or small it can be and still do what you want.
This is a Black & Decker Workmate. I built a reloading bench topper for it, out of oak, from Menards. The base is 3/4" and the rest is 1/2". I used 1/2" carriage bolts to fasten it to the B&D Workmate, through the already existing holes in the deck. :)
This system allows me to collapse it and transport it to someone's house, if need to show them how to reload. It also, serves as an easier way to store it, until it's needed. It sure is nice to bring it inside the house to reload in the winter months, instead of trying to stay warm in the garage. :cool:
Reloading Bench.jpg

Searched this thread out when my wife pointed out if taken over “her” laundry table in the basement and I didn’t want her to start throwing things on the floor. Some good ideas and input here. I picked one up from Harbor Freight today. I’m not skilled enough or unhappy with my archery spot enough to need or desire a press at this point in my life but it’s a great spot to do basic things I know how to do for archery, gun cleaning, work on fishing gear, and knife sharpening. Going to incorporate inserts like @CZMark mentioned, I think that’s a great idea and will keep it cleaner. I just put it together today but that light sure helps 40 year old eyes. Son wants to keep his bow on the bottom shelf so he can go shoot anytime he wants and have easy access to his bow, arrows, and release and that’s fine with me.644DED39-46EE-4C2D-B9C9-8DE115E82F15.jpeg

I bit the bullet and bought the legs or stand that fits with the EZ Green press, then I move it out and away from my bench so I can also use the draw board feature. It doesn't clog my bench up so I can do other work on it. and it is still light enough to move around my work room and out of the way when I want it to be. I also added a BAP vise to one side of the EZ Green so all the bow stuff is on the EZ green and not my actual work bench.
I second this. The bow press tends to be a need it when you need it, maybe for a day or two, then you don't need it again for a couple of weeks or more. I was going to put my press on the bench, then I looked at DIY stands and just bit the bullet as well. Super glad I did, as when I am not using the press, it's out of the way.

I’ve had many bow benches but the one thing that I did first and that I’ve never changed is I mounted my bow press on a wheeled cart. I like to roll it out when I need it and have the ability to walk 360 degrees around it. It makes life easier when you don’t have fight to see over the string/cables and you can easily reach whatever you need to reach. Another thing I did was mount my draw board on the backside of the cart so everything is right there.

You’re right, I have the rifle rest mounted on a lazy Suzan so you spin rifle for cleaning or bore sighting out the door.

Anyone have any examples of a “murphy” style bench?

limited space in shed so having things up and out of way when not in use is #1 for me.

Anyone have any examples of a “murphy” style bench?

limited space in shed so having things up and out of way when not in use is #1 for me.
Depending on the size needed and what you're doing with it I've used a couple of different approaches.

One is a scrap 2x6 with reloading (or other) tools bolted to it, and clamped to a surface. That works well. Actually, a lot of handloaders build portable reloading benches they can bring to the range so they can do their load development right there. So, a Google Images search for "portable reloading bench" might give you some ideas, even if you're not a handloader.

One is a Black & Decker (or knockoff) Workmate. Menards, Harbor Freight, Big Lots, etc have their own store brand versions for like $30 or so.

Another approach is a work surface that you can set on folding sawhorses. I got 2 sets of folding plastic sawhorses from Menards that have pockets to fit 2" dimensional lumber; I usually put 2x3s in them, but 2x2s would work just as well. You could screw a plywood top down on top of that, with spots for a vice or whatever tools you want. I made a chop saw station like this that worked out great, leaned it up against the wall of my garage when it wasn't in use. If you have an old closed door you could use that as a benchtop as long as you're mindful of how badly you abuse it.

Personally I don't like the idea of a folding workbench that's attached to the wall. If I need it folding, I need to be able to move it.

Back