• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Working on Revising my Climbing System

GeoFish

SH Member
Two years ago I used the double versa aider climbing system with 3 mini sticks. This put me in a position of having to have a TP tree. I want to hunt deer, not trees. Also as I get a little older I find I need to make some changes. I realized that if I have a situation while climbing a aider would be involved.

Goals: Safety, Quiet, Easy. In addition, if I use a aider I want it close to the ground. I want to use my hands as I climb ( holding on to a stick, something solid). I also want to use my tether once I am on my first stick. Never having more then 1 step distance of slack in the tether. Once my feet leave the ground I want to hang as few items as possible. Packability is important to me. And as light as possible is on the list.
After trying various sticks, steps combinations and just about every type of aider, I think I have settled on a system that meets all these goals. Two Shikar sticks and two LWCG 3 step sticks.
Two Shikar sticks with a one step aider on each, aiders are optional.
These can be hung with both feet on the ground. Top of second stick is 7.5 feet high if I use both aiders. Climb up on first stick. Hang stick 3, a long LWCG 3 step stick. Climb up on stick 2, hang stick 4. Gets me 12 steps high, about 15 feet. Set platform at 16 feet.
Weight is about 8lbs 2oz, more then I want but I can make it work.

Screenshot_20230909_093533_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230909_093131_Gallery.jpg

I’ve thought that hanging the 1 step aider off the top steps might work better

that way, when climbing down, you can pull the aider up to your foot instead of fishing for it

that’s something I like about my 1 step carry as you go aider, no stepping down into the void trying to get my toes in a moving target

aider off top steps might also decrease the chance of a kick out, but I’m less sure there (just doing a mind physics sim)

I don’t like multi step aiders or aiders that girth hitch around your foot

that way, when climbing down, you can pull the aider up to your foot instead of fishing for it

that’s something I like about my 1 step carry as you go aider, no stepping down into the void trying to get my toes in a moving target

aider off top steps might also decrease the chance of a kick out, but I’m less sure there (just doing a mind physics sim)

Also, if the aider blows to the side and gets hung up on bark/branch, then you can more easily grab it off the top steps and free it and position it correctly

One reason I gave up on a versa aider, hung off the Shikar top adjustment knob, is having to bend down hooking it to the stick when I climb down. Also those type of aiders tend to twist on me making it harder to get my foot in them. I also want to eliminate side pressure.

Back