• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Would this machine be any good

mike7tcu

I was asking family member about sewing and she has this old singer. I would like to try to use it to add cinch straps to my pack and or other small dyi projects. It’s missing the plug and foot petal but seems to be an available part. Would this machine be worth tinkering with? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
7234bc035e182aae4db17b3e805811fe.jpg

Last edited:
Should there be a pic? I do not see one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I was asking family member about sewing and she has this old singer. I would like to try to use it to add cinch straps to my pack and or other small dyi projects. It’s missing the plug and foot petal but seems to be an available part. Would this machine be worth tinkering with? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
7234bc035e182aae4db17b3e805811fe.jpg
Nice, a Singer 15-91. That is my preferred machine. What is the serial number?

As long as it has reverse it should be strong enough, grab some leds and tape em to it for some light because they make a big difference. I have a pfaff 18 and it's a tank and has adjustable dogs.

Singer 15. Made in 1951.

Here is the one I have.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I’m going to go get it and bring it home. My wife is going to think in off my rocker lol.
My wife asks me to sew her shirts and pants. It is good practice for when I sew more important things. She is happy.

Just use good needles big enough for the thread, (#69) bonded nylon thread for anything weight bearing .

Okay cool I’ll order some. I don’t really plane on doing anything weight bearing tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is V69 thread. It works well with a size 18 needle. I use it for pants and socks and everything non weight bearing.

This is V69 thread. It works well with a size 18 needle. I use it for pants and socks and everything non weight bearing.
So that is v69 but not bonded nylon?

They both have about the same strength. Nylon stretches more but polyester is more UV resistant as in sunlight damage. I always use polyester.
Okay thanks I’m looking forward to tinkering with it.

Okay thanks I’m looking forward to tinkering with it.
You can sew by hand just turning the wheel for practice. You will have to help the machine on heavy material from time to time even with power. I have been collecting and testing sewing machines and have 4 industrial machines, too many domestic machines and the Singer 15-91 is still my pick for best overall. Lucky you to have found one your first try. I should have stopped with my 15 but I would never have known how they compare.

You can sew by hand just turning the wheel for practice. You will have to help the machine on heavy material from time to time even with power. I have been collecting and testing sewing machines and have 4 industrial machines, too many domestic machines and the Singer 15-91 is still my pick for best overall. Lucky you to have found one your first try. I should have stopped with my 15 but I would never have known how they compare.
My mom buys and sells antiques I’m going to have her keep an eye out for this kinda stuff.

Back