• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Would this work for an Entry/Budget saddle?

LeonJ71

I will be new to saddle hunting. I have a back issue so I'm not sure if a saddle is for me and dont want to dump a bunch of money to get started only to find out it's not for me. I was planning on using a rock harness or safety harness with the sitdrag combo. I found this Notch Sentry Floating D harness onsale the other day and wondering if it would work. Here is the link. https://sherrilltree.com/notch-sentry-floating-d-harness/

Pair a sit drag$20 with a rock climbing harness$20ish both on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

If you keep it basic, you can test the saddle waters cheaply.
9f64b64af61929ce422fe2cbaaa88fb9.jpg
efe697d656243dac5817a04b8c8741f8.jpg

I should've looked at all the pictures of that harness.

Honestly, I wish I would've seen that harness when I got curious about saddle hunting. Very likey that I would've bought one myself.

Most harnesses are between 1" and 2" webbing that would constrict around the thighs. Sitting still and the webbing restricting blood flow, that's why the sitdrag is usually paired with it. It supports body weight and harness is the safety factor. I have the same harness and sitdrag that I screenshot. It does ok so far.

The one you posted looks similar to some of the 2-panel saddles being sold. With the wide band under the legs to support body weight, I'm shocked this harness hasn't gotten more attention.

So then I take it that it will definately work as a 2 panel saddle?
I would have given that harness some serious consideration. It looks like a saddle already--webbing bridge, two panels to spread out your weight without really digging in, linesman rings and I can only assume it's a rated/certified/tested harness. If you do decide to buy one, start off at ground level to test it out. Sit in it for a few hours, checking for pinch points and tingling legs/feet. If it doesn't feel like it limits bloodflow, it may be a true budget option.

***Disclaimer***

I am the furthest from any kind of professional, my input is just an opinion. Only trust what you feel, think and test prove what is safe.

Although you ordered one, I currently use a fleece paired with an old full body harness, and it works great, all together cost me 15$
012cedf468e4fe7b6c0805dfb7c5cbad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I plunk down $72 can anyone possibly tell me how this would compare in terms of comfort with say a TX5 full on hunting saddle?
I don't wish to buy this saddle and be so disappointed with it in terms of comfort that it changes my mind about saddle hunting all together.
I also realize it most likely will not be capable of the level of comfort of a TX5 or Cruzr XC but will it at least be comfortable enough to allow me to make an informed opinion?

To be honest. I looked at the tree climbing harness too. But if money is your main decision. I wouldn't buy it to get your feel of saddle hunting. Because there is not alot of resale value. Most likely you're going to eat the whole cost. But buying an actual saddle, it still have a resale value. Most saddles in the classified sell for almost same value. Its same principle as used car, the good one always sell well. But if you want to get the feel. Seriously just do a DIY fleece saddle at ground level without a harness, you'll fall 2 ft and land on your butt. Heck, a old blanket or bedsheets cut down and basic ropes would do. I dont think it's fair sometimes when people use harness as intro to saddle. Harness are never meant to be sat in long term. Its a safety device. I think harness and sit drag are good if you actually hunt with them and realizes that the harness should not have any affect on your comfort, its the sit drag that should be primary device doing all the supporting. When people say the harness is uncomfortable, they are missing the reason for the harness. for backyard testing at ground level, l say just use sit drag or fleece saddle. If you want to go high after you like the feel of saddle hunting, then get a harness. JMHO

To be honest. I looked at the tree climbing harness too. But if money is your main decision. I wouldn't buy it to get your feel of saddle hunting. Because there is not alot of resale value. Most likely you're going to eat the whole cost. But buying an actual saddle, it still have a resale value. Most saddles in the classified sell for almost same value. Its same principle as used car, the good one always sell well. But if you want to get the feel. Seriously just do a DIY fleece saddle at ground level without a harness, you'll fall 2 ft and land on your butt. Heck, a old blanket or bedsheets cut down and basic ropes would do. I dont think it's fair sometimes when people use harness as intro to saddle. Harness are never meant to be sat in long term. Its a safety device. I think harness and sit drag are good if you actually hunt with them and realizes that the harness should not have any affect on your comfort, its the sit drag that should be primary device doing all the supporting. When people say the harness is uncomfortable, they are missing the reason for the harness. for backyard testing at ground level, l say just use sit drag or fleece saddle. If you want to go high after you like the feel of saddle hunting, then get a harness. JMHO
I actually went ahead and ordered it. I figured worst case I can use while hanging tree stands.

I actually went ahead and ordered it. I figured worst case I can use while hanging tree stands.

Which I think its not a bad idea. I'm in the camp of using climbing harness as safety device over the harness you get from treestand. If you do fall, you will face the tree, might hurt your face but its alot easier to get back on. Higher quality, built in lineman loops, and more comfortable. I first saddle hunt with my climber, use it as a platform with harness and sit drag.

Other members on here have discovered this and there is already some positive feedback. Check out this thread.

For those 2 panel-ers

Well I ordered one. Felt for $72 It was worth determining if saddle hunting is for me. WCS if I don't like it, I will either use it to hang treestands or resell it for a 30%-40% loss. A $40 dollar loss is a great deal less panful to withstand than loosing over $100 if not more if I buy a dedicated hunting saddle and do not like it.

Will post what I think when I give it a thorough test out, which could be some time as I can not do so at my home and will have to travel to my near by state G&F areas as I dare not risk shooting my bow on state forest preserve property.
I have what I need to rig a tether and bridge and have no plans on going higher than 12-14"' off the ground to start.

So which is the better choice for saddle hunting the floating "D" or non- floating "D"
Guessing the floating D type

I think it’s a good move. It’s a rated harness from a reputable website. I have back issues too and the saddle works better for me. I still fidget around but not as bad as sitting in a hang on stand. I find the saddle more comfortable and you get lower back support

50$ for that is pretty awesome. You may be able to forgo the bridge it has built in and make your own using the rings on the sides.
This really emphasizes the ridiculous mark up on some of these hunting saddles.

Back