• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

wrestle w/my kestrel

Creepingdeth

still messing w/my new setup....something missing between my bridge/tether setup. How short does everyone run their bridges??Mine is 24"and my tether is as high overhead as I can reach. I still seem to hang lower than I want. I copied aerohunters tether and I have 8"between Blake's hitch and the fig.8/bight. That distance may be too far....any thoughts??Season

still messing w/my new setup....something missing between my bridge/tether setup. How short does everyone run their bridges??Mine is 24"and my tether is as high overhead as I can reach. I still seem to hang lower than I want. I copied aerohunters tether and I have 8"between Blake's hitch and the fig.8/bight. That distance may be too far....any thoughts??Season
I'm confused. You say you're sitting too low? Is your Blake's all the way choked up to the tree?

May need some pics.

You should be able to set you tether at chin height(my favorite) with a 24" bridge. Are you measuring from loop to loop(the correct way), or doubling it by just measuring to your tether? Pics will help us help you :)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

yep.Standing on my top step. attach my tether as high as I can, remove linemans and drop several(7-8) in.Wind up standing on the 2nd step down.

yep.Standing on my top step. attach my tether as high as I can, remove linemans and drop several(7-8) in.Wind up standing on the 2nd step down.
Sounds like you need a way to adjust where your carabiner is on your tether. You should be able to adjust it so that you can transition from a low seated position to standing nearly straight up with all of your weight on the saddle.

You should be able to set you tether at chin height(my favorite) with a 24" bridge. Are you measuring from loop to loop(the correct way), or doubling it by just measuring to your tether? Pics will help us help you :)

I measured from knot to knot(lol)...and I was farther than I thought,26". Well, I'm a newbie at this and I only learn by asking. I defineately am going to shorten that up, thanks.

Silly question, you know you can slide the blake's hitch up the tether to adjust the height where you're under tension, right?

The picture they show of the tether doesn't mean it has to stay that way - the whole point of the blakes is so that you can adjust the height you want it to be on the tether.

Assuming I'm guessing right, and you didn't know that - grab the rope underneath the blakes hitch with one hand, and the tail end of the rope with the other. Remove tension from the tether and slide the hand under the hitch up your tether until its at desired height. Reload tether.

Did you watch @g2outdoors video on youtube. It might clarify. Im not saying you are wrong but idk too many guys running their tether that high. Lower it to a 45 degree angle from the tree. Shorter rope = shorter drop when you let your linemans belt out. Your tether should be taught before letting lineman belt out.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

The problem is two-fold: The blakes hitch and bridge length, but there are some things you can try.

I would shorten the bridge length to less than 24" when it's not under load. It will stretch under load, so you may want to go as low as 16 or 18. You'll have to experiment. That will allow you to set your tether lower, so that you're not always sitting.

If you can re-tie your blakes hitch to save a few inches on length, it's worth a shot. Usually not enough accessory cord left though to do that.

The next thing would be to set your tether way above head height - probably at like arms reach. This will give you extra tether length to work with so you can snug up your blakes hitch higher on the tether.

The last thing, and my preference, would be to ditch the blakes hitch and get a ropeman. It will eliminate 8"+ of length from your tether, on top of being easily adjustable.

Not necessarily if he has the blake's hitch on there. It eats up a lot of length. It is a huge reason to use a ropeman IMO.

If you can have someone take a picture from the side it would give us a lot of information to help you out. We'll help you get it posted too.

Back