• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Xop platform failure

matt6506

Just wanted to let everyone know that if you are close to 300# you will want to be careful with the xop/ lone wolf seat for a platform. Mine failed this evening, luckily I was at ground level just trying to get I feel for it. I'm not sure if there might of been a crack in the casting or other flaw. Looks like it's back to the ameristeps for now.

Attachments

• IMG_20180221_212636769_BURST000_COVER_TOP_crop_200x200.jpg
    IMG_20180221_212636769_BURST000_COVER_TOP_crop_200x200.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_20180221_212623699_BURST000_COVER_TOP_crop_200x200.jpg
    IMG_20180221_212623699_BURST000_COVER_TOP_crop_200x200.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 177
Glad that was at ground level, that probably was still a good pucker!

Yeah I'm glad I had knee pads on I don't think I've ever slammed into a tree so hard. I'm sure I'll feel it in the morning but it could of been much worse, it's a testimant to truly how safe saddle hunting is.

Yeah it’s a whole different world being hooked in all the time. I was 298lbs at the beginning of last season, don’t even want to know what that is w/gear on. I worked my tail off, since last August & am down to 255. I could sure tell the difference climbing & setting up, not being at the max weight limit of equipment. A lot of guys are striving for lighter climbing methods, I can cut another 10-15 lbs by not having to haul my butt up the tree....Happy you’re safe, prob just got a bad casting. Just another thing to consider for big guys

Yeah it’s a whole different world being hooked in all the time. I was 298lbs at the beginning of last season, don’t even want to know what that is w/gear on. I worked my tail off, since last August & am down to 255. I could sure tell the difference climbing & setting up, not being at the max weight limit of equipment. A lot of guys are striving for lighter climbing methods, I can cut another 10-15 lbs by not having to haul my butt up the tree....Happy you’re safe, prob just got a bad casting. Just another thing to consider for big guys

I'm actually in the process of lossing some weight at the moment also. I hope to get down to around 250#. I have been over 300 for the last 20 years and I was my heaviest around Thanksgiving of this past year at 330. I'm working on my diet but some bad habits are hard to kick.

Matt,
Glad to hear you are safe. Take a look at the WildEdge stepps for a platform as well. A little more work to set up but they are solid once they are set.

Been doing the Keto and IM since August down from 235 to 208 and lost over 7-8 % body fat.

I had the same thing happen earlier this year at ground level, I'm 225lbs.

I'm actually in the process of lossing some weight at the moment also. I hope to get down to around 250#. I have been over 300 for the last 20 years and I was my heaviest around Thanksgiving of this past year at 330. I'm working on my diet but some bad habits are hard to kick.

When I started really gaining weight I had to find out what was causing it. I decided to Stay away from ice cream. That was one of the hardest things I changed. The rest no white bread or rice, pasta.. But do eat pasta maybe once a month. eat healthy ground turkey, chicken veggies, beef (but not ground beef - to much fat)

Check out skinnytaste.com they have recipes converted from heavy starch, sugars and fat to healthy eating with flavor.

I wont stand on the outside edge of platform, always try to stay close as possible to the tree.

I have been worried about this happening and think we will see much more of this as time goes on. When we cam over the platform there is a tremendous amount of force applied to the casting in areas it's not designed to take.

All we can do is be careful and always have all slack taken out in your bridge/tree connection before stepping on. I tend to lean and step on the outer edge more so may have to rethink that as this is where the most torque is put on.

Good post! This is why I always tell people to HOOK UP YOUR TETHER BEFORE you climb on your platform. That way you're safe. I've wondered about the weight limits with these new style platforms.

T
Good post! This is why I always tell people to HOOK UP YOUR TETHER BEFORE you climb on your platform. That way you're safe. I've wondered about the weight limits with these new style platforms.
That's why I think I'll stick with my Ameristeps .

Thanks for sharing. This has me reconsidering my platform choice....! I'm 6'3" 240-250lbs, I've played with the WE steps but have a difficult time getting 3 steps set and I prefer the platform for the foot room... Guess it's back to the drawing board and more practice with the WE. I'll definitely be anxiously awaiting the saddlehunter.com platform that's in the making, hope it can handle us heavyweights?!!!

wonder if moving the cam rope/straps a little farther out on the platform would help. The way that broke on him leads me to think the main thing supporting is that bolt.
You should want your strap/rope bearing most the weight and you think it would be after cam over though....weird

Possible that the angle of the strap/rope plays a big factor too. Id think you can achieve cam over with a strap well above your platform, but the higher it is the more it lends to supporting you

sorry about your platform though

Last edited:
I am curious about the wild edge platform that is supposed to be coming out. And of course Big Ernie’s finished product!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wonder if moving the cam rope/straps a little farther out on the platform would help. The way that broke on him leads me to think the main thing supporting is that bolt.
You should want your strap/rope bearing most the weight and you think it would be after cam over though....weird

Possible that the angle of the strap/rope plays a big factor too. Id think you can achieve cam over with a strap well above your platform, but the higher it is the more it lends to supporting you

sorry about your platform though

I was using a lone wolf strap to connect it to the tree, the strap was slightly above level with the platform and was attached once around the cast with the loop attached to the gear hooks (ears) on the casting. It was an experiment just like alot of these things we try for saddle hunting, I'm just glad it happened close to the ground and not in the woods 25 feet up.

Back