• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Yotes for Dummies

Patriot

Every winter I scour YouTube for very basic yote hunting for beginners and I’ve never been happy with my research. Any advice people can provide or direct me to in terms of books or videos?

Here are my goals, If anyone has advice I would appreciate it. My goal is to scratch my itch to be hunting, not break the bank on gear, thin the pack in my local woods to try and protect my herd of deer. I hunt the northeast, and I’d like to use a bow or shotgun. I know, I know **shrug**

please don’t turn this into a debate of predator management relative to herd health. I have read a lot on this subject. I’ve read well written analysis on all sides of the debate and I believe ultimately I will achieve very little in terms of actually influencing numbers one way or the other, but I will be a part of nature, scratching my itch to be a predator. And that’s my primary motivation.

Based on past experience if you are on the other side of the debate you need not worry about the yotes, they are very safe with me around lol.

Coming from someone who is also in the northeast I’ll give you a real good bit of advice to suite your needs. Find a buddy who likes to spend senseless money. You can try all you want to kill them during the day or try to do it at night with the allowable caliber restrictions but until you get a buddy that thinks his best spent money is on a thermal you’ll see no real results. I usually shoot 1 or two during Massachusetts gun season and sometimes 1 at night with the .22 but until I allowed my buddy with his ar pistol and pulsar thermal onto the properties I was seeing no major difference. If you’re only shooting 2-3 per year you’ll never keep up to the reproduction rate

Need to hunt the fall if you want to help with the coyotes. After December, all your chasing now is the survivors of trappers and deer gun seasons. So they are a bit gun-shy and/or educated to callers.

I have hunted coyotes from the last day of deer season, usually the first week in December to the end of March, for the last 31 years, some years almost every single day other than Christmas, and also in the Northeast, mostly with hounds but I also call some, I’m probably the person on this forum you want to talk with for advice, we used to put up some serious numbers back in the day, I’ve slowed down a bunch the past few years but can guarantee you on the subject of coyote hunting I have nothing to learn, send me a PM with specific questions and I’m sure I can get you pointed in the right direction, it mite be later tonight before I get back to ya but I will gladly help!

Its another rabbit hole for sure but a fun one if you have the time and the patience..... and the gear. Depending on your approach you really do not need a lot gear but if you plan is to call a lot, be prepared to drive a lot and make multiple sets per day or night. I hate to say it but unless you're pounding them with dogs and numbers of hunters per woodlot.... its not a numbers game. I would like to hear @Topdog's information as well just because we have a lot of coyotes but killing them consistently has been very tough for me. Besides trapping, my best success has been two primary methods.. calling with the right set up when I know dogs are in the area.... and setting up a recurrent bait station and hunting them over the bait. I got the carcass dump/bait station idea from a retired Maine wildlife biologist. Some of the coyotes will recognize the differences in the shooting house if you're too close. This guy goes as much as to have a broom stick that looks like a gun barrel sticking out of the shooting house because they will know the difference if there is never a barrel sticking out then you're there with your gun.... some of them will recognize the difference. @SNIPERBBB is correct in my experience too... early fall is the best time to get the young stupid ones as they are figuring out dispersal from the area's main breeding pair. Because they know they have to start hunting on their own, they will readily come to food calls. As the season progresses mating becomes more and more important. January - February (NOW) capitalize on mating type calls and vocalizations and less on prey calls. If you're trying to call any predator in.... say like a fox or cats.. then mix up your calling. If I'm trying for any predator I do food calls first then if nothing shows, I concentrate on coyote vocalizations (during the late season). If I'm dealing with a call shy male or breeding pair, I will not use prey calls at all and try to just use breeding calls and not a lot of them. In hard hunted locations a couple of yips spread out over a few minutes for each session has worked. A lot of guys think they will all come in running like you see on the videos....... usually, and in my experience... that is not the case. I catch them slowly coming in trying to get downwind. My best success has been setting up near strips of cover on a corner on the downwide side of a field. I"ll place the caller out about 35-50 yards and point it straight in the downwind direction the wind is blowing. They will always try to circle downwind and this will force them along that one edge because like deer, they like to use cover or strips to travel in or on the edge of it. Some guys are very adept at hunting thick cover but I always get blown out..... too much topography for them to be able to utilize and their senses are way better than mine. It is humbling. But a great challenge. Good luck..

Couple questions.

how long do I’ll u sit in one spot?
how long will you call for?

Couple questions.

how long do I’ll u sit in one spot?
how long will you call for?
I have the same questions.

Also, when you move, how far and what would be the timespan between getting set up, beginning call sequence, and moving on? Assume daylight on public ground.

Everyone says to call 20 minutes and then move. My experience... no way. Especially now. Honestly, I do 45 minutes to an hour especially in heavier hunted areas. As far as calling, I'll let things settle down for 10-15 minutes depending on how noisy it was getting into my settup. I get everything ready and then I don't move and don't make a peep. Then I'll start soft. I like Foxpro's programming utility as you can set the duration, type of call, volume the whole nine yards. Another grea call utilizing your phone and its not a lot of money is the Ruger App and the Cass Creek bluetooth speaker system. The only problem is it takes like 4 or 6 D batteries but for the money it actually works good. The phone interface for your playlists is much more intuitive too. Foxpro's sounds are awesome though but their systems are much more complicated as far as the programming utility. But to answer your question, it all depends on the time of year, the location, the density of the area in terms of sound travel, buffers, and the density of the coyotes. I've enjoyed others telling me they've seen or heard them, then I go in rather than trying to scout or bump them out if I want to hunt them in the next day or so. They can travel miles in one night and they do have a circuit to some extent. The state has said we have approximately 35k coyotes state wide. I say BS. Ad 100,000 to that imho at least. A typical early season sequence will be a low sounding prey species, a break, then a louder differnt prey species then a break, then a louder even bigger prey species then a break. If nothing has still responded then I will sometimes do some limited coyote vocalizations... barks and yips. Foxpro has foxcast feature which can mimic two different prey sounds which can be effective. Decoys work better for fox imho but some guys really swear by them no matter what. I don't have a decoy feature on my foxpro fusion but I have used a gobbler turkey wing in the past somewhat effectively. Late season, breeding season will find me more judicious with my calling because some of them have been called at and shot at and trapped at for sure. Also, and with electronic calls.. I don't know how to say it but try to match the call volume and intensity to the conditions. I think over time that will provide better consistency.

Last edited:
I have the same questions.

Also, when you move, how far and what would be the timespan between getting set up, beginning call sequence, and moving on? Assume daylight on public ground.
To me that varies too. If you know guys have been hitting the areas at 6pm -10pm... go in at 3am to 8am or so. I have had coyotes respond and never come in, I'll circle (with my vehicle) all the way around a drainage and call again and have them respond and come in. It also depends on how big the parcels are you have permission to hunt and access. I have a lot of roads and broken up woodlots with a mix of ag and woods and also a mix of topography. Depending on the wind and other factors, you can call and maybe if they're 2 -400 yards away they still will not hear you. Other days you can't get the sounds "quiet" enough. If I'm intentionally trying for fox I will spend more time in a woodlot or area going 250 to 300 yards or so using slighter and quieter prey vocalizations. Fox are breeding now though too. Our season ends Feb. 15 for fox but goes all the way to the end of March for yotes. I can't shoot cats where I hunt now that season is over in the fall.

I don’t know about the North east but if you can bait for them, I wouldn’t move at all. I use my bow and my saddle same as deer hunting.
We hunt them at night. I set up in a tree about 15 to 20 yards away. I rigged up a remote control predator light, using a cheap plastic ammo box from wal mart, a 12v sportsman battery like you use in a feeder, a cheap dc dimmable remote control receiver w a little remote control that can operate the light from 75’ away. And I used a red led underwater light from bass pro shops as my light however a red boat trailer light will work too. I hung it from a branch about 12’ high using paracord. The whole set up cost me around $60. And weighs about 5lbs.
Drop some old raw chicken scraps or some raw fish guts. Use a predator call for about 4 minutes then sit and wait. They won’t even notice the red light especially if you set it at 50 or 75%. They will run up to the chicken or fish and just wait for that side shot. I hunt the same spot about 2 or 3 nights in a row then move a 100 yards away and repeat process. It’ll help thin them down some. It may not improve your deer herd but it will give your fawns a better chance at making it to maturity.

I don’t know about the North east but if you can bait for them, I wouldn’t move at all. I use my bow and my saddle same as deer hunting.
We hunt them at night. I set up in a tree about 15 to 20 yards away. I rigged up a remote control predator light, using a cheap plastic ammo box from wal mart, a 12v sportsman battery like you use in a feeder, a cheap dc dimmable remote control receiver w a little remote control that can operate the light from 75’ away. And I used a red led underwater light from bass pro shops as my light however a red boat trailer light will work too. I hung it from a branch about 12’ high using paracord. The whole set up cost me around $60. And weighs about 5lbs.
Drop some old raw chicken scraps or some raw fish guts. Use a predator call for about 4 minutes then sit and wait. They won’t even notice the red light especially if you set it at 50 or 75%. They will run up to the chicken or fish and just wait for that side shot. I hunt the same spot about 2 or 3 nights in a row then move a 100 yards away and repeat process. It’ll help thin them down some. It may not improve your deer herd but it will give your fawns a better chance at making it to maturity.
Some states dont allow possession of climbing equipment to pursue furbearers, which coyotes flirt with in some states...in Ohio they are and they aren't furbearers for certain purposes

Some states dont allow possession of climbing equipment to pursue furbearers, which coyotes flirt with in some states...in Ohio they are and they aren't furbearers for certain purposes
In those instances do the same thing but from a ground blind and make it 20 to 25 yards

@woodsdog2 you are a coyote hunter my friend, that was a super honest and very well written explanation of calling coyotes here in the Northeast, well done. Saturday it was like -20 here when I fired up my truck, I had a Friday night wedding to attend and I’m not much of a drinker but 5 hours of open bar got the best of me and when my alarm went off Saturday morning to say the least my head was heavy, combine that with subzero temps and the smell of 2 stroke exhaust off my Tundra sled…. well I had a rough Saturday, coyote #1 was loping broadside at about 60 yards and by the time I got my gloves off and scope covers flipped up he was adios, coyote #2 loping broadside again about 70 yards, this time I was more ready (still fighting a hangover) rifle to my shoulder center the dot of my Trijicon accupoint on his shoulder and touch my 2 lb Timney trigger on my 22-250 and nothing, nada… what the ****, so I go through the whole process again as Mr.Yote stops and has no idea I’m there, nothing again… Third time I pulled on that trigger like a kid at a candy machine and finally bang, coyote runs off unharmed, laughing probably. Subzero temps and a neglected target trigger never work, some zippo lighter fluid and I was back in action. Coyote #3 once again caught me off guard dressed like a soft overprotected child fighting a hangover in subzero temps, that coyote probably had a good laugh also as he ran off unharmed and not shot at. Coyote #4 200 yards loping broadside, determined to not be the laughing stock of the entire local coyote herd I took a rushed shot and again missed, the only thing I accomplished was make the self induced headache I had much worse. Saturday… Topdog was a baddog and 0-4, I didn’t get much sleep that night lol. Sunday morning was like -15, headache gone and cleaned trigger, still dressed like the abominable snowman, coyote #1 coming head on at 20 yards took a Berger 52 grain Varmint hollow point square to the chest, redemption? Not hardly, Saturday still stings, but Sunday was definitely better at 1-1, I will take it lol. We have decent snow on the ground at the moment but coyotes are still cruising mach 1, we get some deep snow and that will slow them down big time, making normal running shots be ten times easier, starting tomorrow night thru Friday 12”-16” of snow is coming our way, coyotes be warned we are coming for ya… that is if a 5 hour open bar doesn’t pop up Friday night lol!

@woodsdog2 you are a coyote hunter my friend, that was a super honest and very well written explanation of calling coyotes here in the Northeast, well done. Saturday it was like -20 here when I fired up my truck, I had a Friday night wedding to attend and I’m not much of a drinker but 5 hours of open bar got the best of me and when my alarm went off Saturday morning to say the least my head was heavy, combine that with subzero temps and the smell of 2 stroke exhaust off my Tundra sled…. well I had a rough Saturday, coyote #1 was loping broadside at about 60 yards and by the time I got my gloves off and scope covers flipped up he was adios, coyote #2 loping broadside again about 70 yards, this time I was more ready (still fighting a hangover) rifle to my shoulder center the dot of my Trijicon accupoint on his shoulder and touch my 2 lb Timney trigger on my 22-250 and nothing, nada… what the ****, so I go through the whole process again as Mr.Yote stops and has no idea I’m there, nothing again… Third time I pulled on that trigger like a kid at a candy machine and finally bang, coyote runs off unharmed, laughing probably. Subzero temps and a neglected target trigger never work, some zippo lighter fluid and I was back in action. Coyote #3 once again caught me off guard dressed like a soft overprotected child fighting a hangover in subzero temps, that coyote probably had a good laugh also as he ran off unharmed and not shot at. Coyote #4 200 yards loping broadside, determined to not be the laughing stock of the entire local coyote herd I took a rushed shot and again missed, the only thing I accomplished was make the self induced headache I had much worse. Saturday… Topdog was a baddog and 0-4, I didn’t get much sleep that night lol. Sunday morning was like -15, headache gone and cleaned trigger, still dressed like the abominable snowman, coyote #1 coming head on at 20 yards took a Berger 52 grain Varmint hollow point square to the chest, redemption? Not hardly, Saturday still stings, but Sunday was definitely better at 1-1, I will take it lol. We have decent snow on the ground at the moment but coyotes are still cruising mach 1, we get some deep snow and that will slow them down big time, making normal running shots be ten times easier, starting tomorrow night thru Friday 12”-16” of snow is coming our way, coyotes be warned we are coming for ya… that is if a 5 hour open bar doesn’t pop up Friday night lol!
20% man that's about right.....

The other thing I was going to mention is if you can, try to call more at night and later at night or earlier in the morning. I've had more success at night or at the cusps of the day rather than during the day but depending on the situation and time of year, howling can bring them in at any time. If everyone is howling, bark and yip instead. Also, a great way to target an Alpha male is to head out at like 11pm and get settled. Start with a single lone male howl...... then wait, watch and listen for like 3-5 minutes then do some female yips and barks and a howl (higher pitched and more urgent)..... this works to upset the alpha male in the area he thinks there's an interloper trying to take over his territory and he's getting a female response.

Coming from someone who is also in the northeast I’ll give you a real good bit of advice to suite your needs. Find a buddy who likes to spend senseless money. You can try all you want to kill them during the day or try to do it at night with the allowable caliber restrictions but until you get a buddy that thinks his best spent money is on a thermal you’ll see no real results. I usually shoot 1 or two during Massachusetts gun season and sometimes 1 at night with the .22 but until I allowed my buddy with his ar pistol and pulsar thermal onto the properties I was seeing no major difference. If you’re only shooting 2-3 per year you’ll never keep up to the reproduction rate

hahaha that’s hilarious but helpful. I kind of was starting to think that myself. Maybe you just have to have rhe $500 foxpro and all the scopes and stuff.

To me that varies too. If you know guys have been hitting the areas at 6pm -10pm... go in at 3am to 8am or so. I have had coyotes respond and never come in, I'll circle (with my vehicle) all the way around a drainage and call again and have them respond and come in. It also depends on how big the parcels are you have permission to hunt and access. I have a lot of roads and broken up woodlots with a mix of ag and woods and also a mix of topography. Depending on the wind and other factors, you can call and maybe if they're 2 -400 yards away they still will not hear you. Other days you can't get the sounds "quiet" enough. If I'm intentionally trying for fox I will spend more time in a woodlot or area going 250 to 300 yards or so using slighter and quieter prey vocalizations. Fox are breeding now though too. Our season ends Feb. 15 for fox but goes all the way to the end of March for yotes. I can't shoot cats where I hunt now that season is over in the fall.
Man you sound like you do a lot of predator hunting! Excellent post on calling them in!

now that sounds fun! What time of night you set up? How much bait, just scraps or a heaping bucket pile?

does the type of call matter or just any prey or coyote vocalization will work?

Back