• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

You take gun or bow

Blinginpse

If you was to load up tomorrow without any thought to be had for a moose caribou 7 day hunt. What you taking and why. Im asking this for real life situation. Cost of hunt is roughly 11,000$. A gun feels like the smart thing to do but ive never carried a gun travel hunting. Its always been my bow in hand. I'm a bowhunter through and through. Killing a moose and a bou' with a bow is something many cant say they've done and it be the near epitome if my bowhunting career.

What yall.saying

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Can you take both?
Only allowed 70lb total weight per person on the buck plane in thats including pack and sleeping bag. So its a 1 pick deal. If buddies tag out I can use their gun but they hunting both too

Well, for 11k, if I hadn’t ever shot either, I’d take my gun for best odds. If I had a moose or bou under my belt already, maybe bow.
I dont plan to ever go back but I know you can't kill stuff with a bow if you don't take it. Thats why bownis always in hand traveling

Well then.... let's do scenarios.
Scenario #1: If you have a moose within 30 yards and kill it with a gun are you gonna regret not taking your bow?

Scenario #2: If you have a moose that doesnt come within your bow range are you going to regret not taking your gun?

Might regret both scenarios but which one would you regret more?

Well then.... let's do scenarios.
Scenario #1: If you have a moose within 30 yards and kill it with a gun are you gonna regret not taking your bow?

Scenario #2: If you have a moose that doesnt come within your bow range are you going to regret not taking your gun?

Might regret both scenarios but which one would you regret more?
Killing 1 at 30 with a gun. I can handle tag sammich. I dont get much outta shooting stuff at 1-2-300 yards.with a gun. I do it yearly but its not bowhunting. That price tag well and maybe the occasional grizz makes.me.think gun lol

I’d say bow, I would regret not having my bow with me. Can’t kill nothing with a bow without bringing it. And I’ve always wanted a moose with my trad bow

I’d say bow, I would regret not having my bow with me. Can’t kill nothing with a bow without bringing it. And I’ve always wanted a moose with my trad bow
Hoped someone would echo cant kill.with a bow if ya dont bring it.

Killing 1 at 30 with a gun. I can handle tag sammich. I dont get much outta shooting stuff at 1-2-300 yards.with a gun. I do it yearly but its not bowhunting. That price tag well and maybe the occasional grizz makes.me.think gun lol

Take your bow, you have a chance to use your buddies gun.

Take your bow, you have a chance to use your buddies gun.
Not sure if they can tag out in a week on both though lol. See yall not helping here haha. Supposed be a no thinking kinda deal.

Man that’s tough, I’d vote bow & sidearm if allowed. You can gamble that you could extend your range w/ buddies firearm if they’re successful. Guided correct???

Man that’s tough, I’d vote bow & sidearm if allowed. You can gamble that you could extend your range w/ buddies firearm if they’re successful. Guided correct???
Yes it is Definitely guided. I believe guide has a firearm for protection. Its a 1 on 1 gig so yes I do have that gamble terp amd its been in my mind cause I likenmy chances if I can get to 50 wit a open lane and a bow in hand

You must figure out your top priority:

- Fill your tags.
- Have the most fulfilling, memorable, and rewarding overall hunt experience.

A gun raises your odds of one, and a bow raises your odds of the other.

Definite Memorable overall hunt is always my goal. Thats why i always ok with eatin tags. The struggle with highs and lows and bow in hand has always been what keeps me focused amd driven. Ive always been DIY but this being my first guided hunt it has added a twist with the money involved

Based on reading your comments, sounds like you want to bow hunt. Forget the price, it’s paid and doesn’t matter. If you get nothing out of shooting stuff with gun, the discussion is over. Plus guides will work harder for a bow hunter.

BTW. I’m super jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on reading your comments, sounds like you want to bow hunt. Forget the price, it’s paid and doesn’t matter. If you get nothing out of shooting stuff with gun, the discussion is over. Plus guides will work harder for a bow hunter.

BTW. I’m super jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEFINITELY wanna take a bow. Booked it with bow in mind. Its in 2023 but with things I need to start accruing for the hunt alone I need to decide that first so id declare if I needed a scope to suit the situation. Scope would hit me for a grand to put on the 7stw or the 300 ultra. With Iowa tag being drawn in mind next year amd Canada again in 2022. I gotta have this mess in order

"I'm a bowhunter through and through " I think you answered your question right there!!! What's more important to you, bringing home meat or the hunt? You can buy meat at the store.

Back