• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

5lb climbing method - Aider/Knaider with Wild Edge Stepp Ladders

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Building off the @Peterk1234 @swampsnyper and @MCDM systems. I finally found what works best for me.

I didn't like attaching the cord/bungee to my Swaider or the Aider. Also, lowering the 5 step aider down in the dark was a little annoying for me. So I combined both methods. It's worked really well on 3 different public land hunts and this will be my go to method when I can't use spurs.

Hope this helps someone.

Being 6’5” tall, how many WE steps would get me to 20’? Also, is it easy to step onto the step with other knee hooked in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The video does not show it, Greg mentions it, you should tie the 5 step aider to your belt. If you drop it you may have a difficult time coming down.
I have dropped my 6 step aider using sticks. That is why I carry a doyles with a gear grappler... zero problem. I have used a six step aider for 2 years with sticks. Three sticks and an aider gets you 24 feet no problem - 10 feet on the first stick and 7 feet on the next two . I like Gregs solution to moving that long aider using a knaider when using wild edge steps.

Is using the 5 step aider anymore difficult than a single movable aider? I have been using I have been using a single aider with muddy sticks all year with no issues at all. This would be a major cut in weight and all I need is the 5 step aider.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

This works well. Here is a photo I took the day Greg and I first discussed this. I later went and hit 18 foot with 3 stepps and an aider.
0088eee07f138528462c2dc47e19c38c.jpg

I just ordered one. I'm thinking on using it on my lone wolf sticks. If not I have WE Stepps too.

@g2outdoors , very slick. I have been thinking about adding length to the webbing of the knaider and placing a carabiner at the end of it so I could start with a Step above the head. It would work like the swaider, but would also have the knaider hook. Clip it in, step up, clip in the swaider, step up up, remove knaider carabiner and hook in the knaider hook. Your system may be easier. Still hunting season, and about 18 degrees here, so I am not trying anything for a couple of months.

BTW, what the heck? Making mods during hunting season? :)

Oh this gives me some things to think about. The hook on a string was one of my hang ups with the multi-step aider method. The other aversion was coming down in the dark, which I fixed by just rappelling down.

I did get one to mess around with so I will try your method.

Maybe even before the season is over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Building off the @Peterk1234 @swampsnyper and @MCDM systems. I finally found what works best for me.

I didn't like attaching the cord/bungee to my Swaider or the Aider. Also, lowering the 5 step aider down in the dark was a little annoying for me. So I combined both methods. It's worked really well on 3 different public land hunts and this will be my go to method when I can't use spurs.

Hope this helps someone.

Are you using Metolius?

That looks like a black diamond aider. I have tried many types of aiders That looks like a black diamond which is my favourite for getting my foot into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I tried a version of this idea (2x1 aider) with an Amsteel whoopee sling (with biner) that I would hook to my knaider hook and climb as you describe. It worked, but it was a little precarious. The longer the aider device the more it seemed like kickout was likely and severe. Might be fine with practice but I gave up on it in favor of just using a Kn/Sw. Those two worked great all archery season.

Maybe the 5-step is more stable than a swaider?

As for height with Swaider I attach the WE at head height (6 feet) and thus get 24' with 4 steps. Attaching above my head means 7' which is higher but perhaps not enough to matter.

The Swaider is when I feel most vulnerable and thus I like knowing that it is a short move to get my knaider hooked in. If I had to take multiple steps before using the Knaider that would increase that insecurity. Again, unless the 5-step is more stable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

When I had WE steps - I sold them - I tried a six step aider with WE steps and it seemed stable to me but like Greg I did not like reaching down to move it up. He solved that problem. Good for Greg. As I has said before - climbing with a black diamond aider with good technique seems easy but a little slow. I have very very few kickouts using that aider properly. I do not like the meticulous aider or any other aider I have tried as well as the BD. The BD seems to be easiest to put my foot into and each loop stays open as I climb.

Back