• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing spikes

deleted_user01

Whats everyones favorite...?
I see Bartlette supply has Kliens with tree spurs for $175.00.

I was leaning towards the aluminum climb rites but would like some reviews of what others use and like...I know its padding and adjusting to fit but maybe theres more to hear....

Also entertaining the thoughts of rappelling down but trying to find vids on youtube on retrieving rope once on the ground as I can figure out a preset para cord if I use it multiple times. But I like using a diff tree each time out.

Reactions: PJC
I have the Climbrite spikes with the Climbrite ultralight aluminum pads that I modded with strap/buckle instead of the velcro. I love the spikes and they weight right at 4lbs for the set so carrying them isn't bad at all. I also rappel using 8mm rope and a BlackDiamond ATC Sport. I have 35' of paracord that is tied to the loop in the rope and when I'm on the ground a quick pull of the paracord and the rope comes right down. I wrap the paracord in a figure 8 then roll the 8mm rope up and it's small enough to fit in my pack. I used this setup all year and have no complaints at all.

Climb Rights for me as well. I have the super weaver pads that are super comfortable but also super huge. Picked up a larger pack and they still barely fit. I left them on for a 3-1/2 hour hunt using an Ameristep platform and completely forgot about them after about 5 minutes.
My set is closer to 7 lbs after modding with webbing straps and buckle as well. Similar rappel setup. Rope retrieval is much easier that it seemed at first. Rappel. You'll love it. Tops off the saddle experience for me.

lots of knowledgeable guys on here using spikes. This group got me into using them. I got a pair of buckinghams with l pads. They weigh 6lbs with the standard leather straps. Im currently using a 9mm rope and the grigri 2. Pulling your rope out is easy...as explained above.

I am using the same set up as @flinginairos for spikes and I love them.

I have a set of buckinghams with T pads that I am considering selling at a good price for someone interested in getting into spurs if anyone is interested.

I have trimmed with Buckingham's for years but when it came time to get hunting spikes, I splurged and got geckos. They are ridiculously light, but the shin pad is solid and wraps weird. I actually prefer the leather pads that were on the bucks. I may end up modifying then at a future date. Who knows. I ended up modifying the straps to remove all the Velcro parts and replace with buckles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I got an old buckingham pole climbing version from a buddy who was a lineman for a cable company. I have used these just for practice at home. I have bit the bullet and have ordered some climb right aluminums. I bought flingin's old pads so waiting on the spurs and lower straps to come in. Next year this will be my hoping to make this my go to.

How do spurs fit with different clothing as the season progresses? For instance, do they work well with insulated bibs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do spurs fit with different clothing as the season progresses? For instance, do they work well with insulated bibs?

You need to make sure you have straps with enough length to go around and to pull them tight, but I've been using mine with my winter gear and they've been working great.

So, for you guys using spurs, do you not use climbing sticks now, or do you use them on occation or what? It seems to me that spurs would again eliminate the need for a lot of other gear.

You need to make sure you have straps with enough length to go around and to pull them tight, but I've been using mine with my winter gear and they've been working great.
So in cold weather, if you pull them tight against your insulated pants, or whatever, don't your feet and lower legs get cold while hunting, or do you take them off so the insulation can do it's job?

I'll answer both questions for ya @PJC. This year I used the spikes 99% of the time. I did use my Muddy sticks one weekend where I hunted one tree a few times. I hunt so many different places and spots the spikes just make sense so I rarely use sticks. The only places I have preset sticks is on my lease and even there I use spikes.

As for legs/feet getting cold...I take mine off once I'm on my platform and lower them to the ground. My feet always get cold so I have to use artic shield boot blankets. If I kept the spikes on I wouldn't be able to do that.

x2 on what @flinginairos said. I am only using sticks in a place where I can't have more than 1 tree set up or use spurs. I take my spurs off once I get to hunting height.

Thanks guys. I'm sure I will have more questions later.

I assume too much. Do you put them on when you get to the tree or wear them in? Also, in warm weather, do you keep them on while you hunt. Also, if you put them on at the tree, how hard is that in snow?

@PJC My limited spike experience mandated taking them off to hunt. They hit each other and clank. They are not legal on public land in some states, so check the rules if you hunt public land. The tree will look like it got raped by a porcupine, especially if you climb the same one more than once. Visually it goes away after a few years, so if your hunting private via permission/lease, I would ask before using them. A relative of the owner hunted a property i now hunt. Can't tell where he hunted now(years later), but when he hunted I could tell every tree he hunted from 50yds away.

Back