• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

LWCG Arrowhead broadhead

MtnCodger

SH Member
LWCG announced on their social media accounts that the “first of its kind” machined aluminum broadhead is now available in 100gr. The website has 125gr and 150gr selections as well but are out of stock so one can assume they’re in the works. What’s your initial thoughts on this?

I can’t wrap my head around the decision to use aluminum for a broadhead. I’m a machinist and have been in the trade for well over a decade now. If I’m creating something for a customer that demands edge retention, impact and deformation resistance, etc then aluminum ain’t it. Maybe I’m dense and/or old school and am missing the boat on something here but I’m curious to hear others opinions on the matter.

LWCG Arrowhead 3-blade

It says single use broadhead at the bottom of that product description…… I don’t understand why if the other claims are accurate. It says diamond like hardness so it would never dull even when going through bone. It then says they are unbreakable.
That last paragraph is like a slap in the face way of saying we will not warranty anything so you’re paying $20 for a single use broadhead.

IMG_0804.jpeg

It says single use broadhead at the bottom of that product description…… I don’t understand why if the other claims are accurate. It says diamond like hardness so it would never dull even when going through bone. It then says they are unbreakable.
That last paragraph is like a slap in the face way of saying we will not warranty anything so you’re paying $20 for a single use broadhead.

View attachment 88227
Ah, there’s where my ignorance lies. I didn’t read the description in its entirety. I guess I stopped at the claims of being in breakable and diamond like hardness you mentioned before.

The single use thing really breaks my heart.

Same. I really like the look of the design and was intrigued until I saw the aluminum construction part. I’m also curious to see what the initial sharpness of the blades are. In my experience, aluminum doesn’t create a sharp edge very well. Relatively compared to stainless, carbon steel, etc. of course.

Last edited:
Same. I really like the look of the design and was intrigued until I saw the aluminum construction part. I’m also curious to see what the initial sharpness of the blades are. In my experience, aluminum doesn’t create a sharp edge very well. Relatively compared to stainless, carbon steel, etc. of course.

Ok, so it is an intentionally disposable $20 each broadhead? Indestructible aluminum? Yeah, I'm thinking this won't be around too long.

I don't have a problem with a $20 disposable broadhead so long as it's a good one, but I don't care for the design.

It’s a very strange broad head. I have to say I chuckle when ever I see it.

I don't have a problem with a $20 disposable broadhead so long as it's a good one, but I don't care for the design.
Yeah, I get that. It's just that they say indestructible but use it once and throw it away.

Yeah, I get that. It's just that they say indestructible but use it once and throw it away.

I think there is a difference between indestructible and can’t be sharpened, one time use.

Not saying there isn’t any bull here, just those conditions can coexist

I would think that dulling beyond the point of it being acceptable to hunt with and being incapable of being resharpened would be one definition of a broadhead being destroyed, lol. Maybe they should have said indestructible prior to use.

I think they’re a little misleading with the term unbreakable in the description. Being machined from a single piece of aluminum will absolutely be make the overall structural integrity very good and the thickness/angle of the blades will make them hard to break. So they technically aren’t wrong.

Yeah, if I wanted a three blade head, I would just buy a good quality steel head and learn to sharpen it. The disposable costs $20 for one shot. If you bought a good steel head for the same money the first use costs you $20. If you use it twice that's down to $10. Use it three time's is $6.666 per use and on and on.

As Lusk demonstrated in his video, the tip will expand like a rifle cartridge upon impact with anything not flesh and organ

Yeah, if I wanted a three blade head, I would just buy a good quality steel head and learn to sharpen it. The disposable costs $20 for one shot. If you bought a good steel head for the same money the first use costs you $20. If you use it twice that's down to $10. Use it three time's is $6.666 per use and on and on.
Agreed 100%. Even something with replacement blades would probably be more efficient overall.

I like most of LWCG stuff but I don't get this.
I have been using Woodsman broadheads for 25 years. At $66 for a 6 pack, can be resharpened. And I have used the same broadhead on multiple kills. Never retired any of them.
I did not know I was doing it wrong for so long!

I would think that dulling beyond the point of it being acceptable to hunt with and being incapable of being resharpened would be one definition of a broadhead being destroyed, lol. Maybe they should have said indestructible prior to use.

I don't see it that way, but it actually says unbreakable. Maybe that's a more palatable word choice.

Either way I don't plat to put one through the ropes and clearly nor do you.

Back