• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Professions???

huck72412

Vendor Rep
SH Member
How about sharing something about yourself besides your love for saddle hunting? What do you do for a living? I often wonder what all of these guys do that I consistently see sharing on the forum.
I drive for UPS!!!! Married with 2 children

I've been many things over the years. Grew up cutting grass at a local cemetery to buy my first bow. Rode my bike 2 miles to work a local farm. Drove a 3 wheeler through the woods/fields to work at a green house before I was old enough to drive a car. When I was old enough to drive i did many things, from welder/fabricator, tool and die prototype sheet metal stamping, production welder, rubber injection mold operator, and settled into a cad designer career for the last 22 odd years. Married with 2 kids.

Started in creative industry as a graphic designer in 2006, worked at a couple of small studios and larger design companies for first 5 years of career, moved in house for a User Interface Design position at a software and engineering firm, will be there 5 years in 2016 and now am a manager and work with international team. Company has outstanding benefits with liberal time off and true flex time that allows me to pursue passion pursuits like hunting.

Also married with two amazing children.

-Sent from d_mobile

Worn lots of hats. But for the last twelve years or so - electrician . Got licensed a few years ago and normally only run small to medium size commercial projects. Never married, but was close this last time. Have a big family and wonderful nieces and nephews with whom I try to spend as much time as I am able. Have an English bulldog named Chunky butt and chickens (sometimes rabbits and goats and other small farm animals). When nothing is in season for hunting, I'm usually chopping trees, planting trees and berries and big garden , all in an effort to feed myself and attract more wildlife to make hunting as good as possible on this mini farm . Also fish some but not enough. I read a lot of books (every day) since I gave up television five or six years ago. I'm in my forties , 5'9" or so and weigh anywhere between 190-210 depending on season and my recent level of ambition. Push ups, crunches and some pull ups are the extent of my physical exercise not done while working or cutting chopping planting walking in woods. I try to shoot for practice or small game at least a few times a week . Varmint control. There's always some critter that is eating my fruit, nuts, or veggies or trying to eat my other animals. That's my life in one paragraph (outside of scouting, preparing, climbing, hunting, skinning, cooking, pooping, and eating)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 17 yrs. We have 3 kids (16yr old girl, 13yr old girl and a 11yr old boy). I own a auto body shop / fiberglass repair business and also manufacture a small line of 3 different styles fiberglass skiffs. I have been doing that for the last 21 yrs.
I am also the worship leader for my church. I have been doing that for 6yrs. But the most important job I have is to show my kid and the people I run into the love of Jesus Christ my savior. He is the only reason I can do what I do today.

Ps: I also love saddle hunting. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've worn a lot of hats as well. I've built houses, fought forest fires, trimmed trees for the electric company, all while putting myself through school. Now I'm a mechanical design engineer at a fiber optics company. I have a wife that came with two boys, and blessed me with a boy and a girl of my own. The two older boys are now in their early 20s trying to figure life out and my young boy will be 2 next month and my girl is pushing 7 months. The fact that I even get to hunt is a miracle and a testament to my wife who has stayed home with the kids while I was away.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Chemical engineer in the oil/gas industry. I've also worked in the pharmaceutical, chemical, and semiconductor industries. I leave many hats at home.

Cool thread! I am 28, married my wife right out of high school and we have two kids. My seven year old son, Austin and my one year old daughter, Autumn. Ive worked for a veteran owned DOD contractor for ten years now. I am mainly an electrical tech but do other stuff as well. We do systems for Navy boats and tons of other stuff. I'm not exactly allowed to say everything we do LOL. I love my job though and the fact it's a smaller family run business and pretty much everyone hunts. During the fall the office is pretty empty! Haha.

Besides that I run a side business doing videography/photography with my wife and good friend. We mainly film weddings during the summer to fund our hunting adventures.

I've been playing guitar for 16 years and play on our churches worship team and write/record when I can. Other than that I love to kayak, hike, fish, and go to 3D shoots when I can!

Oh, and tinkering with hunting equipment, saddles and climbing methods is a big part of my time too. Guess that's why I'm here and love this forum!

Sent from space

My name is Ricky. I Married my high school sweet heart April some 25 years ago. We are in our mid 40's now. We have 8 Wonderfull kids. My oldest son Joshua is a retired disabled Marine at 24 yrs old, Tawly is a double major grad working at a major oil company, Cameron is 3/4 way through college computer hardware major, Cassie is in her first year US Navy in the medical field, Cj is junior in high school, Gage is freshman in high school, Lexi and Gracie are in grade school. We are in the great state of TN

Maintenance supervisor the last year. Been in maintenance, tool n die, or welding my whole adult life. I can make, build, weld almost anything anyone can come up with It's my imagination that limits me. I'm more of a facts and figures kind of guy.

I think essdub pretty much described my build and workout regime! Lol

I love this site and love the information and ideas that come from it.

If there's any way it's can make it I would like to meet all y'all on the hunt next year!

Wow!! Thanks for sharing. I suppose I could have said a bit more considering all that you guys divulged! I am married to one heck of a woman with whom I shared a large part of my childhood. Her motherhood skills are certainly better than my hunting skills. For that I am thankful or we would be hungry with bad children :lol: . I started as a rodman on a land surveying crew at 15. Next I went through school for autocad in order to advance within the surveying industry. Spun my wheels for a while and landed a job at Delta Air Lines. Unfortunately , bankruptcy changed things for many people at the Delta. Pay and benefits were obviously the first things on the table. Had a friend driving for UPS at the time and he was instrumental in my career change. I have " made it" finally at UPS. I no longer run package routes. I get to sit in the Tractor Trailers now and only appear busy :D . Together, a friend and I run a decorative concrete business. This consists of everything from a standard driveway demolition and re-pour to coloring and stamping any flat surface. My heart belongs to my creator and my savior Jesus Christ. I am sure that he is solely responsible for every last blessing in my life and the only hope for a world gone awfully wrong. I thoroughly enjoy coming here to the forum and feeling confident that it will be clean and inspiring. Nice to meet everyone. GOD BLESS!!

I've been married to the love of my life for 5 1/2 years now and we have a 2 yr old daughter and another arriving in March. I started doing construction work in my mid teens and have been self employed in partnership with my brother for the last three years. I love my job as it keeps me outside and in shape. I hope to be putting my tool belt on every day until I retire.
We are quite optimistic as the industry is just beginning to face a major shortage of skilled labor. For any young guys out there the construction trades are going to be seriously needing motivated people who can put the time in to become qualified in their field.
I too give the credit for the good things in my life to the Lord!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm Greg and I'm a saddleholic.

Married with 2 kids (8 & 9).

I'm an active duty United States Army Officer. Hooah.

The Army has taken me all over the world and I've loved every minute of it. When I tell people I'm in the military I always get the same "thank you for your service" response. It's wonderful to know that so many Americans stand behind the armed forces. My response is always the same: "it's an honor to serve". I feel like I'm the lucky one and am grateful to play a small part in the history of our great nation.

Currently Uncle Sam has seen fit to bring us to Fort Drum on the northeast corner of Lake Ontario. We get to enjoy beautiful upstate NY and all the lake effect snow a Florida boy could ever ask for.

I am a former u.s. marine. Now a ups driver of 26 years. I am married have 3 children and 2 grandchildren. I also own some rental properties and a cleaning/restoration business.

Hello my name is John. I am 58 years old divorced raised my two son's being a single father.

I have worn many different hats also. I have always loved working with my hands. Out of high school I spent twenty years in a automotive seating plant. some of those as a person working on the assembly line and some as the shift supervisor. At forty I said enough to the factory work and went to work as a carpenter. I have built many new homes from the ground up through the finish of the house but I worked more as a remodel carpenter as that is what I love doing most. Anyone can build a new house, but getting the remodel of a 1900 house to all work out is much harder. We always worked very hard to not change the appearance of the house. But to make it appear as that was the way it was built a hundred years ago.

The physical demands on my body caught up with me. And I ended up on disability a year ago. Still love hunting but it is not as easy for me as when I was young. I love saddle hunting and that will never change.

I am very blessed to have been able to raise my son's and now watch them start out with their own lives. And it is great that they both live within forty miles of me so I can see them often. My oldest son has blessed me with a granddaughter six years ago and now he and his wife are giving me a grandson in the spring. I also thank God for all my blessings and know I would be no where without his love.

I just joined this site and it is great, hoping to have lots of fun learning things from all of you.

My name is Shawn and I am residing in Delaware. Married 20 years in June with 3 boys (15, 12 and 9). Oldest 2 hunt and each took their first bucks this year. I am the Staff Development Coordinator for Elkton Hospital in charge of all non-clinical training for our entire staff. Love hunting, this site and the Lord.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My name is Scott and I have this website... :lol:

As far as actually work goes, I am a medical physicist. I work in a Radiation Oncology department and work with the the physicians to create treatment plans. I also perform calculations, calibrations and do QA.

My wife and I were blessed to welcome our first child, a beautiful baby girl, to the world this year. We have been married for 3.5 years but she is my college sweetheart and she has been putting up with me for 11 years now.

I grew up hunting and fishing and have been going with my father since I could walk. My family did a lot of pheasant, quail and muzzleloader hunting when I was young and I have some great memories from these times. When I was old enough my father got me shooting the bow and bowhunting has been an addiction ever since. I shot way more deer with guns than the bow in those days but I will never forget how proud I was when I got my first bow buck, gutted it and got it home waiting for my dad to get home from work.

As far as deer hunting goes for me now, I pretty much think about it year round. I do other things to keep me busy and avoid burning out, but bowhunting is my big thing. I am a DIY guy and I really enjoy shooting deer on public land. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment. I have nothing against gun hunting and I still take one out from time to time but I haven't shot anything with a gun in 5 years. I am really looking forward to our archery bear season in NJ next year.

Lot of different occupations covered on this site.

I'm 64 and had 4 children in my first marriage (ages 44. 43, 37, 36).

Have had more jobs than I think I can remember but I'll try. My dad was a janitor and mom was a stay at mom so I didn't have much growing up and if I wanted spending money, I had to go find a way to earn some.

-First freelance job was walking the neighboring suburban streets in the winter and shoveling driveways and sidewalks for whatever they would pay me and starting at around 8 years old.

-Had an early morning (before school started) Free Press paper route for several years

-During summers at age 10 thru 12 (same period as the paper route), every Saturday would go into the stables area of the local harness racing horse track and pick up 2 cent deposit beer and pop bottles and take them home and wash the crap off them and turn them in for cash. Would get several dollars each Saturday.

-Worked in 2 restaurants as a dishwasher.

-Was a stock boy at the local 5 & dime

-Caddied at local golf course during summer

-Was a rack boy at a local pool hall and instead of getting paid I got to play free pool (love the game)

-Was an attendant nurse (required no training) at a State mental hospital for a year (first full time job after high school) and that was a huge eye opener to having a healthy quality of life and not taking it for granted

-Worked in a forging plant that made mortar heads for the Vietnam war

-Worked in 2 plastics factories and 2 screw factories, all at minimum wage

-All those jobs were before I was 23 years old

-Married with 2 kids I hated living in Detroit suburbia and having to drive 30 miles to the closest public land to hunt so in 1972 I packed it up and without having a job lined up, moved to central Michigan.

-Lived on welfare for 6 months before finding my first job which was scraping the black ash off the inside of a large burnt out concrete manufacturing building (from 4 stacked sections of scaffold). I had very long hair at the time and the human resources guy hated long hairs and that's why I got the job. Worst job I've ever had as I went home every night covered in black sute and blew black loogies and buggers during the entire 6 month time it took me to finish the building. On day one when I walked into the lunch room (time clock was in lunch room) which is where everyone hangs out drinking coffee until work time, I got whistled at and asked by several ignorant rednecks what I was doing on Friday night. Nobody that far north had long hair back then and from that time on I wore my hair in a ponytail and kept it under my cap. Fortunately my job was a loner job so all the other employees were working in other buildings.

-Someone from Jay's Sporting Goods (largest in the state at the time) knew I was an avid and fairly successful bowhunter and Jay's began carrying archery equipment so they called me and asked if I would come in for an interview. Jay Poet (owner) and I got along great and he said if you cut your hair, you can start in the morning. I did and worked there until 1979.

-There was guy that came in regularly and talked to me about bowhunting while I was working and after a while he asked me if I would be interested in working for him as a drywall finisher. I had never finished drywall but he didn't care as him and his brothers would teach me. I took that job and was a drywall finisher and painter until 1992.

-In 1992 I received a call from a sporting goods (hunting, fishing, and outdoor products) sales representative agency out of Chicago asking me if I wanted to be a sales representative for them in Michigan. They called me because they had just picked up Golden Eagle/Satellite which was a bow manufacturer and broadhead company. I took that job and that's still what I do as a full time job.

-Of course I also wrote 3 bowhunting books, produced 4 instructional bowhunting DVD's, and have and still do write many articles for regional and national publications, but that is just a sideline gig that I totally enjoy doing because for 52 years, bowhunting and helping others be more successful has been a passion of mine.

-Also fish nearly every day in spring through end of August and in 1983 caught a world record steelhead which is hanging in Jay's with the plaque below it.

I'm Kurt, 28, married 3 years with one son (2 years old). My wife hunts and supports me and the time I spend in the woods or it would be hard to pull off. She's a wonderful wife/mother.

Marine Corps Reserve Communications Officer and Project Manager

My Marine Corps training opened the door to my current civilian occupation, project manager within Information Technology (Geek speak for computers).

My true passion and career aspirations lie within the outdoors. I've fished my entire life and picked up hunting as an adult a few years ago. My path was steered towards saddle hunting after reading John's books - thanks John! I am very passionate about archery and I am working to save enough money to open my own shop one day. I am also a bit of a conservationist so I try to improve our property as best I can for the deer and other wildlife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One very important thing for me to say on this topic

I want to personally thank everyone that served or is serving in the military as if it weren't for you, we wouldn't be able to do the things we do in this great country. I hate the direction we're heading, but dam sure appreciate those that are and were willing to risk their lives to protect our freedoms. That takes an inner dedication way beyond that of what any hunter has, just to kill a deer that doesn't fire back.

Re: RE: Re: Professions???

John Eberhart said:
One very important thing for me to say on this topic

I want to personally thank everyone that served or is serving in the military as if it weren't for you, we wouldn't be able to do the things we do in this great country. I hate the direction we're heading, but dam sure appreciate those that are and were willing to risk their lives to protect our freedoms. That takes an inner dedication way beyond that of what any hunter has, just to kill a deer that doesn't fire back.
^^^^^^^^^ amen

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back