• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling rope

ramjet

I going give repelling a try after read all of the comments that I have read on this form. I'm like most of you trying to get the weight as low as you can. This was my first year hunting for a saddle and I loved it. If I am able to use spikes and rappel that will make using the saddle that much more enjoyable. I will also give sit drag a try to further lighten the load. With all that said what rope would you recommend and the size?

The Samson Ultratec is pretty popular on here. I believe it's 8mm and very light. I will be getting some myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried rappeling on 8mm samson ultra tech. I can't find any documentation that it is intended to be rappeled on, which worries me. I have been using my 9mm sterling htp and I like that much much better for rappeling. I have it in the bright green, but I just bought some in black here:
https://rwrope.com/climbing-gear/sterling-htp-static-9mm/
Another advantage of the sterling htp is that I can use my grigri2 with it. I feel much safer coming down in the cold and dark with the grigri2 than I did with the atc.

I use the ultratech and it's worked great. I rappelled probably 8-10 tines this season with 0 issues. Also, the rope looks as good as new. I use it with a rock exotica mini-8.

Red can you post pictures of your setup on the ropes end , that you are talking about ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Red can you post pictures of your setup on the ropes end , that you are talking about ?

I'll try to remember tonight. I'm using it saturday I'll have it by then at the latest.

Ramjet,

What device will you be using? Skinny rope rappel in the dark can be 'exciting'.
9mm Black Bluewater static is a good balance of light weight and ease of use. Cheap too.
Technically it is "accessory cord' though.

I've wanted to get some good Canyoneering Rope for this. It's what it is made for. You just can't get short lengths of it.

8mm Zion Pro (not for use with ATC), Bluewater 9mm Canyonator and here is some info on the Imlay products: http://www.imlaycanyongear.com/ropes.php

dea9805da36ee6bd49758fe175817628.jpg

Reactions: PJC
OK, thanks. That helps seeing the picture.

ah got ya
That's why I would go ahead and spring for "Canyoneering Rope". It is made specifically to be used around sharp rocks and dirt. "Normal" rappelling rope is specifically made for buzzing 100' down a wall and is constructed a bit differently.

There are other ropes that while being 'strong enough' and plenty safe, aren't designed to work well with rappel devices. It is foolish to ignore the advice and experience of literally millions of climbers just to shed a few ounces.

P.S.

Look for ropes with "Dual Sheath", "Technora Sheath" as they will be abrasion resistant. And again..if you go 8mm, it is more likely to jam, it is harder to brake and it is harder to hold onto in general. I'm not going smaller than 9mm and then I won't use it without an Autoblock.

Back