• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sitka

deleted_user01

I hope Im posting in the right forum, if not please post it in it's propper location.

Sitka clothing;
Is it really worth the $$$...?
As I get older its harder to keep warm on extended sits during bitter cold .....also with age and many thousands of dollars worth of "this will keep you warm" statements....I also become skeptical.
So I'm asking members hear thier opinions on the fanatic jacket and bibs...

I have them, and they are fantastic. I also have the incinerator set but I feel they are crunchy and noisy when really cold.

This year I sat in 0 degrees with Kelvin pants and jacket under the fanatic set and sweated the whole time.

I also have the Cabelas stand hunter set and I would say they are equally warm. The difference Is bulk. It seems like the fanatic set is less bulky.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have a lot of it and honestly it's the best money I've spent on hunting besides my saddle stuff. I can't remember the last time I actually got cold and I am able to stay out longer and more comfortable. It IS expensive, but it's well made and should last a long time. If you hunt a lot and can afford it I would highly recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had some and I sold it. I couldn't get past the price for something I would only wear a few times a year. In my opinion, the best stuff to buy is quality hiking/climbing gear like Patagonia, Outdoor Research, Marmot, etc. This stuff is very well made and usually quite a bit lighter than hunting clothing. Also you can wear it all year long for other activities like... Hiking and climbing.

I layer it under my Scentlok or underneath other camo. It's worked great for me.

Also, look into the grabber adhesive body warmers. I use 3 of them on cold hunts. 1 over each kidney and one over my heart. Chemical warmers underneath a good insulation layer (like a Patagonia down jacket) will work wonders without adding bulk.

I had some and I sold it. I couldn't get past the price for something I would only wear a few times a year. In my opinion, the best stuff to buy is quality hiking/climbing gear like Patagonia, Outdoor Research, Marmot, etc. This stuff is very well made and usually quite a bit lighter than hunting clothing. Also you can wear it all year long for other activities like... Hiking and climbing.

I layer it under my Scentlok or underneath other camo. It's worked great for me.

Also, look into the grabber adhesive body warmers. I use 3 of them on cold hunts. 1 over each kidney and one over my heart. Chemical warmers underneath a good insulation layer (like a Patagonia down jacket) will work wonders without adding bulk.

Yeah. If you can keep the wind out and trap some heat you generate in - you can go very light weight. A cheap rain suit with bib bottoms can keep the wind out. Some down will trap in much of the heat you can generate with chemical (or electric) warmers.

Less expensive and less bulky. That said, I had a cart full of Sitka before the season started - probably $3k or more. But Field and Stream did t have anyone to open the fitting room so I walked out. The stuff is nice. But probably not needed. The nice thing about what G2 refers to is you can but the $300 pieces for $100 on craigslist or eBay. And if you bought the same warmth from Sitka it would be $450 or $350 used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After mondays sit in the wind even wearing my windblocker scent shield 3 piece layering system got me looking for a warmer and yes less bulky system...I could do the $$ for sitka , but also coyld find better ways to use the cash like an Aero hunter..?!?!? :D
So I will look into everyones opinions and see what I can come up with....
A very big thank you goes out to everyone who has responded to my posts and questions...

Have a very great New Year...!

For me it came down to how much I would use it and given the amount I hunt I could justify it. At least in my mind haha. So far this season I've hunted 33 days and plan to hunt maybe 5-6 more before I call it quits so I definitely use it and rely on it for colder weather. I was at the point where my other stuff was torn and worn out so that helped as well. There are certainly cheaper options and if you live in a warmer climate you could for sure find something cheaper that works.

Yeah. If you can keep the wind out and trap some heat you generate in - you can go very light weight. A cheap rain suit with bib bottoms can keep the wind out. Some down will trap in much of the heat you can generate with chemical (or electric) warmers.

Less expensive and less bulky. That said, I had a cart full of Sitka before the season started - probably $3k or more. But Field and Stream did t have anyone to open the fitting room so I walked out. The stuff is nice. But probably not needed. The nice thing about what G2 refers to is you can but the $300 pieces for $100 on craigslist or eBay. And if you bought the same warmth from Sitka it would be $450 or $350 used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
3 k worth of camouflage??? Settle down mister!!

It's all I wear now. I love it but get it 40 percent off too. I love the Lightweight stuff too. Especially the ascent pants. Everything I have bought I haven't regretted.

I have about a grand in what I have but I also got it at 40% off

It's a slippery slope, I bought most of mine off of archerytalk over several years but it adds up. I have the ascent stuff for early season especially elk hunting, and then various layers to add as the year gets colder. Even the accessories are nice. I love my fanatic gloves, neck gator, and incinerator hat. I reall y wanted to like the bino bivy, but it is to hard to get my binoculars in and out of it.

It's a slippery slope, I bought most of mine off of archerytalk over several years but it adds up. I have the ascent stuff for early season especially elk hunting, and then various layers to add as the year gets colder. Even the accessories are nice. I love my fanatic gloves, neck gator, and incinerator hat. I reall y wanted to like the bino bivy, but it is to hard to get my binoculars in and out of it.

I also have the Fanatic gloves and gator as well as the incinerator hand muff lol. My dad just bought the Fanatic jacket and Stratus pants and I got him the incinerator hat for Christmas lol

3 k worth of camouflage??? Settle down mister!!
No kidding, man. I grabbed it all. each layer, accessory in my size and one size up to see how i would layer them. had about $4k in the cart but after I sorted out sizing I was willing to just drop my 'fun money fund' into what would have been about $3k...

I waited for like 15 minutes after lighting up the dressing room light. I heard the announcement over the store speakers each time I hit the button and saw the light flashing. Then I found someone and told them I was planning to make a huge purchase if I could confirm the fit. Waited another 10-15 and finally walked out...

Glad I did. I think there are better ways to dress for less money. But I'm sure if I had bought them I wouldn't have regrets. The stuff is solid and built on technology. Not just paying for a brand name. It's for real.

Oh, and I could get get half that back for hunting clothes I would easily replace with it on eBay and still have too many clothes.

So I knew the fun money fund would get replenished.

It is expensive. Way too high even though I have a bunch of it. You can always get it cheaper from 20-40 percent off somewhere. I don't think it is worth it if you had to pay retail. I do think it is worth it if you find it on sale. I got a bunch of mine 55 percent off. I can't get it that cheap now.

I just got some KUIU and couldn't be happier with it.

I also have a Sitka pack and the quality is extremely high. I'm sure their clothing is just as good

Fitting room? What sitka sells underwear? Lol

I dream about owning sitka gear, but the cost is the reason I dont own it. The quality and fit are great and the pattern just looks cool as cool can get. I bought the neck gator and struggled with the idea of $35 for something I could sew way cheaper. But by the time you buy the materials and you can't get that cool pattern, I decided to just buy it. Best money spent in a long time. That thing is sweet. Ill be getting the hat for next season even if it means paying $90. It will last years and the technology is worth it. I wore a cabelas pull over and some bibs in 34 deg wind yesterday and I was fine, BUT I was bulky and that makes shooting a recurve tough.

I am standing in line at Cabelas with a brand new Kevin jacket that should ring up at $101.19

Back