• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spurs!! Why Not?

huck72412

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Im interested to hear what guys have to say about this specifically. IF spurs are legal in the areas that you hunt, why don't you use them?

Im interested to hear what guys have to say about this specifically. IF spurs are legal in the areas that you hunt, why don't you use them?
I do use them. The only thing I don't like about them is trying to put them back on in the tree. So then I carry my rappel rope and gri gri to rappel down which is just extra stuff to carry.

If im going to hunt the same tree several times and it's on private property, I will try and find a different method.

It's mainly out of respect. Land access is really hard to get here and I don't want to jeopardize it by making a tree appear damaged.

I know the marks will heal, and on public land or in a situation where I'm not going to use the same tree repeatedly, it's the only method I use.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I haven't tried the tree spikes other than a set of sport climbers several years ago..

The one thing that is keeping me from trying the tree spikes is the possibility Of kicking out and making noise, not necessarilygoing to the ground but just kicking out.. I know when you kick out on a power pole it can make some noise. Especially after a hard freeze.. This may not be the case with trees I don't know.

I'm interested in going this route so I would like to hear more also..

The reason why I’m not a fan of using them all the time is because I don’t like taking much with me to hunt. If I use spurs, I have to take a backpack to strap the spurs or platform too and then carry one of the two and my bow.

I’m going to try to switch to using a hand climber so I can just bring my bow and sling the climber over my shoulder.

I have an old set that I tried once. I can't use them most places I hunt, so I haven't been able to practice at all. Anyway it was a sketchy climb, noisy and the spikes slipped out a few times, I'm sure it was user error and hopefully I will get another chance to practice. Maybe at Saddlepalooza, I just read I can use em.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I brought my old Klein's out of retirement late this season. I was a little inconvenienced when taking them off and putting them back on with my Ameristep ring of steps platform. However, it still beat the heck out of toting 4 sticks.

Next season, this will be my primary run and gun system. I plan on upgrading my spurs to the carbon fiber Gekos, buying 35' of Sterlings new 8mm Oplux escape rope and the Rock Erotica mini eight. These few items will help keep weight and bulk super low.

The following process isn't new for most members but my routine should look like this... Climb to my desired height with spurs (pole gaffs), hang my platform, lower my spurs down to the base of tree and rappel down after the hunt. Hopefully, using the spurs for the ascent only, will do less harm to the tree.

All that being said, I've come to realize all new ideas seem to be great in theory until you try them and discover the setbacks and or disadvantages. I just can't foresee a lot of issues with this but those of you who are already doing this are welcomed to enlighten me, please.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8

I brought my old Klein's out of retirement late this season. I was a little inconvenienced when taking them off and putting them back on with my Ameristep ring of steps platform. However, it still beat the heck out of toting 4 sticks.

Next season, this will be my primary run and gun system. I plan on upgrading my spurs to the carbon fiber Gekos, buying 35' of Sterlings new 8mm Oplux escape rope and the Rock Erotica mini eight. These few items will help keep weight and bulk super low.

The following process isn't new for most members but my routine should look like this... Climb to my desired height with spurs (pole gaffs), hang my platform, lower my spurs down to the base of tree and rappel down after the hunt. Hopefully, using the spurs for the ascent only, will do less harm to the tree.

All that being said, I've come to realize all new ideas seem to be great in theory until you try them and discover the setbacks and or disadvantages. I just can't foresee a lot of issues with this but those of you who are already doing this are welcomed to enlighten me, please.

This is exactly what I do. The only difference is I use 80 feet of blue water titan and drt to get down. Here are my geckos

Just barely over 3# after significant modification

3e106f20460b348815732d88ef79cc27.jpg

Last edited:

It’s a good method. I did have issues rappelling tho. I was constantly fighting with the rope getting it out of the tree and getting it tangled in brush when it finally did come down lol. It was a fun way to come down tho when it all worked right. This past season I just climbed down and found it easier than messing with the rope. Give it a try, may work better for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exactly what I do. The only difference is I use 80 feet of blue water titan and drt to get down. Here are my geckos

The weight is truly unbelievable!!! They appear to stack together nicely too. Should make hauling even easier!

Why not??? They are illegal everywhere I want to hunt except home. I would love to use them.
At home bolts as presets are as good or better than spurs.

Reactions: PJC

Dang and I thought my buckingham I were light lol. Do you prefer tree or pole gaffs. I’ve only used tree gaffs in the past but since it’s mostly either maple red oak or beech feels like I’m climbing in high heels lol.

Dang and I thought my buckingham I were light lol. Do you prefer tree or pole gaffs. I’ve only used tree gaffs in the past but since it’s mostly either maple red oak or beech feels like I’m climbing in high heels lol.

If I'm working, I use the tree gaffes, but for hunting, I have been using the pole gaffs.

They are more work on really thick barked trees, but better than walking or carrying the "high heels"

Last edited:
It’s a good method. I did have issues rappelling tho. I was constantly fighting with the rope getting it out of the tree and getting it tangled in brush when it finally did come down lol. It was a fun way to come down tho when it all worked right. This past season I just climbed down and found it easier than messing with the rope. Give it a try, may work better for you.

Think I'll be spurring back down cause of all the reasons u mentioned about the rope issues. Rapelling is fun and all that but still gets agrivating.

Why not??? They are illegal everywhere I want to hunt except home. I would love to use them.
At home bolts as presets are as good or better than spurs.

Agreed. I'm still really bummed out that I can't use them where I thought I could. Oh well...when you figure out the sticks that'll be good enough!

I bought a pair but have only tried it once. My main hang up is putting them back on before climbing down. I guess rappelling would solve that problem.

Man those Gecko's look awesome! It seems like they are illegal everywhere I hunt, I'm surprised so many of you can actually use them. I'm more than a little jealous.

Man those Gecko's look awesome! It seems like they are illegal everywhere I hunt, I'm surprised so many of you can actually use them. I'm more than a little jealous.
No worries my friend. We will chat about spurs in your camper since you have available sleeping space.

Back