• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Great Scent Control Debate

d_rek

This is a thread for those who want to debate scent control technology and scent control routines and whether they work or do not work. We should leave the activated carbon thread alone for fear of tragically derailing it.

Feel free to debate your heart out using whatever scientific, anecdotal, objective, or subjective evidence you have or do not have... heck It can be outright heresay if that's your thing!

For those of us who are for scent control technology:
What is your reasoning? Do you have scientific data to prove it's effectiveness? Or simply anecdotal evidence based off your time in the field?

For those against scent control technology:
Most of us are aware of the wholly unscientific "field & stream" tests done using tracking dogs but what other evidence do you have that is does not work? Can you provide a scientific test with controlled variables to confirm that it does not work? Or are you just in the camp that, "you just can't fool a deers nose" ? Or is there another reason?

And..... go!

Regards,
d_rek

Oh boy. I might actually have to moderate something on this thread! :lol:

popcorn_stephen_colbert.gif

Let me start of by saying that I have ZERO scientific evidence. Not a little, not a lot. ZERO.

This year is the first year trying a ScentLok regiment based off John E's system. I bought a complete SL suit to include head covering and gloves.

Here's what I know. On 2 separate occasions I had deer pick me off in the tree. 1 mature doe without fawns and another mature doe with three fawns saw me. They did the head bob dance and slowly circled downwind of me to figure out exactly what they were looking at. Both of the them put their noses right into the breeze and scent checked me. NEITHER ONE OF THEM WINDED ME. They should have stomped and blown and told every deer in the area there was danger close. I've tried lots of cover scents, scent killer sprays and even the scent smoker. None of them have ever produced results like those two specific occasions.

I'm not ready to say unequivocally that ScentLok is the real deal. However, I don't know how to explain those two experiences. I *BELIEVE* SL had something to do with it. If the same thing happens a few more times, I will be a believer and convert into a card carrying member of the ScentLok Mafia.

I have one scent loc suit. I needed a new suit at the time. It wasnt much more $ then plain suit. I actualy stopped recharging it and just wore it like regular clothes. I have no clue if scentloc helps or not. Personaly i dont buy into the whole thing. I wash my stuff with baking soda old school. I also dont buy into the sprays, shampoo and the long list of other stuff. Maybe it works maybe it doesnt. I dont need it. I just keep my gear clean and in container. I also keep my under layer in bag seperate from outer layer and rest of gear. I wash clothes as needed. Killing deer doesnt involve rocket science. Jmo

I do believe it works and my only evidence is anecdotal from my from my time afield.

I have witnessed several deer dead downwind at a small 10 acre river bottom property I hunt along with the landowner and his two sons.

On more than one occasion I have gone out with the landowner and have both heard and seen him scent busted. I heard him become scent busted from almost 150 yards away by a nanny doe and her two fawns twice. I saw their reaction to his foot trail 3 times. On the same hunts I have been sitting in a ladder stand and have the exact same deer come downwind of me AFTER winding the landowner! And they didn't blow! And this was before I began to really practice extreme scent control and was only using a scentlok pants, jacket, and facemask combo.

There is literally no explanation as to why I have not been scent busted on the same hunts as the landowner that I can think of other than the scentlok clothing I was wearing at the time.

I have also had several other encounters of deer downwind not spooking while wearing scentlok. Were they all mature deer? Mature does yes, but also a lot of young deer. I have admittedly not been fortunate enough to encounter any big wary bucks yet.

Anyway. I'm not in it to beat a deers nose because I don't necessarily believe it can be done. I do believe you can reduce your scent footprint to much more minute levels than would typically alarm deer though. Really I want to make sure I am not burning out my stands on very small parcels after only a hunt or two. That is really my primary reason for practicing an extreme scent control routine.

I do the best I can. But the number one hurdle I think we still have is our breath. We are constantly putting out scent. And unless you are taping opening for your eye holes on your scent lok mask and then again at the base around your neck... then you are letting out scent.

I visit the dentist, floss and brush with baking soda and try to breathe thru my nose, especially when they get close. But we still put out a lot of scent from our breath. So while I do all that I can, I still try to play the wind and don't trust that I could ever be 96-99%% scent free.

I think that we'll never be able to totally fool the deer's nose. However, I regularly leave my scent in my property all year while checking fruit trees and the various experiments I try with small (very very small) food plots- which are actually nothing more than me walking my few acres with a few bags of seed while tossing them out in areas where I've cleared trees. So I hope that with scent lock gear on while I'm hunting that even if the deer smell me, maybe they aren't too alarmed.
Before I started wearing it, I got busted several times every year. But I also did a lot of sweating while carrying climbing methods and lock on stands(which is why I started using only a harness with no stand)
Since I started wearing scent lock stuff, I can only think of one time where a deer really knew I was there. And that was only after the arrow was on it's way. She got lucky and looked up at the last moment. Not even sure she smelled me, maybe see saw the small amount of movement when I hit my release.
I had an eight point buck that I've been trying to arrow for the last couple years approach my tree from directly downwind last week. This buck has been very cautious since I missed him with an arrow that hit a branch early last deer season.
So far, after only one and a half years using scent lock, and I only used it part of last year, I'm sold on the idea that every little bit helps. If I can reduce my scent just a little, as long as it's not a very tedious process, I'm all for it.
Oh, I also use the ozone generator - so that could be a factor

With all that said ,
I still try to use the wind (in the area I'm expecting deer traffic)as my primary scent reducing tactic

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

A Scent Lok suit, gloves and headcover is not a magic bullet as your footwear, exposed portion of face, pack, and other things used in conjunction with them must be properly addressed.

I do seminars on bowhunting at several of the higher profile Deer and Turkey Expo's (Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan) every spring and there is no question whatsoever that well in excess of half the hunters I talk to at my booth (scent control is not part of the seminars), and also at in-store events that have and or still do use Scent Lok, still get winded.

A scent control regiment is measured in the degree of hunter knowledge of the technology and how serious they are about everything else they do in conjunction with that technology.

I paid attention to wind direction for 36 seasons and never in my wildest dreams thought that mindset would not continue until I die. For the past 15 seasons I have paid zero attention to wind direction and I don't get winded and have deer cross and follow my entry routes on a daily basis and I'm talking about educated deer in heavily pressured areas. That's a simple fact.

Based on my short field experience - I started using activated carbon scent control last season and have only been "winded" one time in about 20 sits. I own both a heavy (scent blocker) and light (scentlok) suit. I was winded because I didn't have anything on my head and it was 65 degrees and I sweated walking in. Before that I'd be winded regularly and it was consistently when I didn't consider the wind.
Since switching I've had a lot of deer walk within 20 yards and several even bed within that distance. I hunt the tree regardless of wind.
To me my experience has convinced me that it works.
As for the field and stream article - I agree with the counter argument that dogs that are specifically trained to isolate specific scents and locate their origin aren't good test subjects. Untrained wild animals analyze all kinds of scent daily and are conditioned to respond based on what they've analyzed. A deer could or could not be conditioned to ignore A small human scent footprint (because it's not completely eliminated).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I sat almost 24 hrs in the last two days and saw 20 deer. I counted 4 young bucks - 3 yearling bucks and a 2.5 yr old 6 pt - and 6-7 different doe seen multiple times, 3 of which were old nanny does probably 2.5-3 yrs or older. The stand I was setup in was best for southerly or south easterly winds. However yesterday we had strong winds out of the west all day, with some crazy swirling where at times the wind would blow east into my face then hit me from the north - basically completely unpredictable. Today we had southerly winds hanging to south westerly after daybreak. I never did not have deer downwind of me the entire time I saw them over the course of 24 hrs and not once did I see any of them spook/scent bust. I did have the 2.5 6pt come on to 30 yards DEAD down wind and maybe he saw something or just didn't like the smell of something but for whatever reason he hung up at 30 yards and skirted the funnel I was hunting not giving me a shot. I blew an earlier chance at him but that is a different story altogether.

I am utterly convinced that my scent regimen and activated carbon clothing are working as advertised. I have zero explanation why these deer would have tolerated my scent otherwise. There was just no good reason they should have stayed where they did not spooking.

-Sent from d_mobile

d_rek said:
So I sat almost 24 hrs in the last two days and saw 20 deer. I counted 4 young bucks - 3 yearling bucks and a 2.5 yr old 6 pt - and 6-7 different doe seen multiple times, 3 of which were old nanny does probably 2.5-3 yrs or older. The stand I was setup in was best for southerly or south easterly winds. However yesterday we had strong winds out of the west all day, with some crazy swirling where at times the wind would blow east into my face then hit me from the north - basically completely unpredictable. Today we had southerly winds hanging to south westerly after daybreak. I never did not have deer downwind of me the entire time I saw them over the course of 24 hrs and not once did I see any of them spook/scent bust. I did have the 2.5 6pt come on to 30 yards DEAD down wind and maybe he saw something or just didn't like the smell of something but for whatever reason he hung up at 30 yards and skirted the funnel I was hunting not giving me a shot. I blew an earlier chance at him but that is a different story altogether.

I am utterly convinced that my scent regimen and activated carbon clothing are working as advertised. I have zero explanation why these deer would have tolerated my scent otherwise. There was just no good reason they should have stayed where they did not spooking.

-Sent from d_mobile

Wow, I had almost the exact same experience yesterday on a small farm outside of Chelsea, Mi, including a younger 6-7 pt that I was trying to get to follow my tarsal drag. Weird.

John Eberhart said:
A Scent Lok suit, gloves and headcover is not a magic bullet as your footwear, exposed portion of face, pack, and other things used in conjunction with them must be properly addressed.

I do seminars on bowhunting at several of the higher profile Deer and Turkey Expo's (Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan) every spring and there is no question whatsoever that well in excess of half the hunters I talk to at my booth (scent control is not part of the seminars), and also at in-store events that have and or still do use Scent Lok, still get winded.

A scent control regiment is measured in the degree of hunter knowledge of the technology and how serious they are about everything else they do in conjunction with that technology.

I paid attention to wind direction for 36 seasons and never in my wildest dreams thought that mindset would not continue until I die. For the past 15 seasons I have paid zero attention to wind direction and I don't get winded and have deer cross and follow my entry routes on a daily basis and I'm talking about educated deer in heavily pressured areas. That's a simple fact.

How would you go about practicing your scent control regiment in warm weather say temps 70+? Would you be confident in your scent loc setup if you couldn't get to & climb your tree without working up a good sweat?

Cbigbear said:
John Eberhart said:

How would you go about practicing your scent control regiment in warm weather say temps 70+? Would you be confident in your scent loc setup if you couldn't get to & climb your tree without working up a good sweat?

Hi Cgibear,

Perspiration itself does not have an odor. It is when the perspiration (sweat) sits on the surface of your skin and natural bacteria living there begins to 'eat' the sweat it begins to poop out 'B.O'.

Your best bet would be to wear moisture wicking clothing and use anti-perspirant in under areas that you cannot air out easily (under arms, crotch, feet).

That being said scentlok will still adsorb any odors created by perspiration on your skin.

I am a sweatbag all times of the year. I often have to wear only a baselayer into my stands for fear of overheating even when the temps fall under 50F. I have still had deer dead downwind after working up a good sweat while wearing a full scentlok suit (head and neck cover, jacket, pants, gloves) and rubber boots. I do wear anti-perspirant on my underarms. I stopped doing it on my feet because it was just too weird and it actually felt like it was making them more moist.

To anyone who would say scent control doesn't work - Ive been hunting deer for almost 40 years, and only in the past three have I started incrementally becoming more scent free. This year, I did it all, scent-lok suit, all clothes that are only used for hunting, and a bunch of other stuff, and I can tell you beyond any doubt that it works. I will not hear any argument otherwise. Ive had over 100 deer directly downwind in varying conditions, while in stands I have been hunting 20 years in some cases. I know when I should be getting winded, and I know it well. And so far this year, 100 deer have walked calmly downwind without so much as a nose in the air. Go ahead, tell yourself it does''t work....If you are getting winded, you stink and have not eliminated the source yet. Big hassle? Yes... Worth it? Depends on how much you like being totally undetected in the middle of a bedding area, watching deer all around you all day long. And how much you like letting does leave the area after passing downwind so the buck that follows keeps right on walking. Only disadvantage, you will have to train yourself to watch for deer walking toward you from down wind. Ive had some funny moments because I wasn't used to that...

Here's where I'm at: I have no idea if scent-control works or not. I know neither my wife nor I wear it, and we have encounters where deer come in from directly down wind and they don't wind us. The only explanation we can come up with is that we got lucky and the wind never made it to the deer's nose. What I do know is that top predators all over the world who kill with tooth and claw need to get a lot closer to their prey than we do, and they play the wind, so that's what we do too. I have darted more deer than most people will kill in their lifetime, and most were within 15 yards. I got busted quite a bit (which is expected to happen when you're hunting so close), but I also didn't get busted numerous times when I thought I should have been busted. In the only peer reviewed journal I have read where a scent-lok suit was pitted against the noses of multiple search dogs (http://www.jstor.org/stable/3784224) the suit failed to fool the search dog's nose. Drug sniffing dogs have successfully sniffed out drugs wrapped in activated carbon suits inside of other containers, but to be fair the dogs work in close proximity, and the drug handling procedures may not be as "controlled" as it needs to be for a scientific experiment. In comparison, deer have nearly 100 million more scent receptors than a dog.

For those of you who do use scent control products, do deer still wind you? If so, do you not chock that up as an equipment failure? I mean if deer come in from down wind and you don't get busted, you give credit to the suit and your scent-control routine, correct? So shouldn't getting winded be considered a failure of that same system?

To each their own with regard to scent control. I believe if you think it works, you can afford it, it gives you peace of mind, and you have experienced success with it, then that's all that matters. However, I still believe that playing the wind is your first line of defense, and the scent-control should just be an "insurance policy." Until some solid evidence is presented, I'll continue to be a skeptic.

The issue I have with playing the wind is that deer don't always follow the script. It could be that you guys are way better hunters than me and always know where the deer are coming from. I don't. Now sometimes playing the wind is idiot proof - when hunting over a bluff or cliff, or next to a river or a large uninhabited area. But often times in the terrain I hunt, even though I may have a hunch about where the deer will be coming from, more often than not they come from unexpected locations. How can I play the wind when the deer could be coming from anywhere?

I hunt relatively flat, swampy, brushy terrain with no agriculture. Don't get me wrong, I always try to play the wind. If I'm hunting a lone apple tree in a thick swamp, I don't want the wind blowing to the apple tree. But many times I'm hunting transition zones where the deer could come from a lot of directions. Maybe I just need to pick different spots?

This is my first season with Scentlok, but so far it seems to be working as advertised. I'll stick with it until I feel differently.

bioguy said:
Here's where I'm at: I have no idea if scent-control works or not. I know neither my wife nor I wear it, and we have encounters where deer come in from directly down wind and they don't wind us. The only explanation we can come up with is that we got lucky and the wind never made it to the deer's nose. What I do know is that top predators all over the world who kill with tooth and claw need to get a lot closer to their prey than we do, and they play the wind, so that's what we do too. I have darted more deer than most people will kill in their lifetime, and most were within 15 yards. I got busted quite a bit (which is expected to happen when you're hunting so close), but I also didn't get busted numerous times when I thought I should have been busted. In the only peer reviewed journal I have read where a scent-lok suit was pitted against the noses of multiple search dogs (http://www.jstor.org/stable/3784224) the suit failed to fool the search dog's nose. Drug sniffing dogs have successfully sniffed out drugs wrapped in activated carbon suits inside of other containers, but to be fair the dogs work in close proximity, and the drug handling procedures may not be as "controlled" as it needs to be for a scientific experiment. In comparison, deer have nearly 100 million more scent receptors than a dog.

For those of you who do use scent control products, do deer still wind you? If so, do you not chock that up as an equipment failure? I mean if deer come in from down wind and you don't get busted, you give credit to the suit and your scent-control routine, correct? So shouldn't getting winded be considered a failure of that same system?

To each their own with regard to scent control. I believe if you think it works, you can afford it, it gives you peace of mind, and you have experienced success with it, then that's all that matters. However, I still believe that playing the wind is your first line of defense, and the scent-control should just be an "insurance policy." Until some solid evidence is presented, I'll continue to be a skeptic.

I am not looking for argument. But you did ask questions, and as a matter of respect for your position, I will answer them.

And I'm not one to brag, but you said " I have darted more deer than most people will kill in their lifetime,..." Perhaps that is true, and therefore, perhaps I should give my credentials so you can judge whether you feel I am qualified to comment here. I have taken well over 200 deer in my lifetime, starting with the first one at age 14 in 1984 (took my first shot at age 9, and I must have been a slow learner because it took me 5 years to get one....) The last 150 or so have been killed with traditional equipment, and at least 25 of them were with flint points and equipment I made myself from scratch. I've killed total of 3 deer with a gun. That's just honesty, and you can make your own decision on my ability to asses the effectiveness of scent control. Now, for answers to your questions;

Q; "... do deer still wind you?"
A: No. Not even once in over 100 deer encountered this year. Not all, but most, were downwind at some points.

Q: "If so, do you not chock that up as an equipment failure?"
A: Yes, I would. If it had happened, even once this year....

Q: "... if deer come in from down wind and you don't get busted, you give credit to the suit and your scent-control routine, correct?"
A: Yes. At least for 95% or better of encounters, because like you I have always had occasional deer that for some unexplained reason did not wind me or did not care if they did. But now, not one has winded me. I repeat, not one.

Q: " So shouldn't getting winded be considered a failure of that same system?"
A: Yes, but again, it isn't happening AT ALL. If I start getting winded again, I will look for the source of the stink until I find it. And I will eliminate it. And the deer will tell me when I have it right, not a J-store article or any other paper.

Scent control is not for everyone, and you are correct that one can kill deer without it, but you better shoot before the first one hits your scent stream. And hope they give you a shot before they do. Like I did for 30-plus years.

I don't think it works, I know it works. It is beyond obvious. I have never been needed any more peace of mind, and I've never needed a confidence boost in my ability to kill deer (well, maybe between the ages of 9 and 14...). Scent control isn't for everyone because it is a hassle and you can kill deer without it, but it does work and it can keep deer from being alarmed when downwind. Not even a shadow of doubt.
Could a dog find me in the woods or in a box? Why would I even care, I'm not trying to evade a dog....

Jim is a scent control practitioner and holds a Phd. He has many great videos, some of which show deer busting him after hours on stand. They don't blow/snort/carry on, they just leave. Here is a video of a Doe busting his trail he walked in on.

https://youtu.be/FAS1EBhQdJs

kenn1320 said:
Jim is a scent control practitioner and holds a Phd. He has many great videos, some of which show deer busting him after hours on stand. They don't blow/snort/carry on, they just leave. Here is a video of a Doe busting his trail he walked in on.

https://youtu.be/FAS1EBhQdJs

With as much time as I've spent in a stand, this is mostly what I have observed as well. Great video, thanks for sharing it!

Back