• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree stand platform as platform

Waymore

What if you used a platform from Lonewolf or similar stand and cut it down to smaller size. Then you can take advantage of the platform itself digging into tree when cammed over. Use amsteel to hold it up. I keep seeing these platform ideas with seats. Have one strap with versa button and tighten like hanging a stand

To me it would defeat the purpose of saddle hunting which is a super lightweight/quiet setup. I am in the process of making a small platform from an XOP seat that will be really light, I don't think I would want anything bigger than that myself.

Yep. You might as well have a seat at that point. And without the other part with stabilizer straps. The bottom won't be stable.

It would definitely work. I think Flingin is right - most Saddle hunters are looking to be lightweight and mobile.

Its kind of funny im always searching for a way to cut ounces.... then it doned on me i could easily remove 25 pound from my fat butt...... think I've been focused on the wrong thing :)

Now that's funny DaveT. I need to lose 25lbs myself!!!!

Me too Dave but I like my beer and cheeseburgers too much:). I mentioned cutting the platform Down which would reduce weight and size. Basically similar size as a seat but will have the ability to dig into tree. Seems like most complain of seat not being stable.

I weigh 235 and at my age the only way I am gonna use a sit and drag is with a low hook up height leaning into it standing on a platform.

I probably will try something like Dave T option 2. Looks like the best option for my weight

Keep up the good ideas guys

Very true Dave! Heck most of the equipment weight we are trying to cut is well less than healthy bowel movement. I need to drop about 10, maybe 14 lbs honestly but that'll put me at a little over 200 lbs at less than 10% bf. But honestly a lb on your back weights a lot more than a lb distributed across your midsection.

This has been a great year for fitness for me. Less so for scouting and equipment development. I feel 20 years younger. It should pay big dividends when we get to the meat of the season.

So if I drop 15 lbs, the Guido's Web will feel like nothing. Maybe I will just sell the rest of these saddles, pay for a liposuction and hunt from my weight-free Web!

I think if you are prepping trees and can get a small, cheap treestand base it would make a fine platform. If you are up 30 feet in the crotch of a tree with some back cover, and the stand is pre-hung, you are adding all the comfort and avoiding many of the negatives folks mention above.

I agree that if you are run and gun, carrying steps, bridge, tether, etc along with a full tree stand base, you might as well just get a climber. But if you have the right spot and the right tree, I think there is a place for it.

Last edited:
I mentioned cutting the platform Down which would reduce weight and size. Basically similar size as a seat but will have the ability to dig into tree. Seems like most complain of seat not being stable.

Keep up the good ideas guys
Been thinking on this thread a little. I'm not a platform guy but always open to new things so I've been watching the development. I agree with the others that if you're going to hunt off a regular treestand it defeats part of the purpose of saddle hunting. But every person and there situation is different so if it works for you, I say go for it.

Now that being said, this being particularly directed @BassBoysLLP and @DaveT1963 , have you guys tried any designs that more closely mimic one of the lone wolf or xop stands? In particular I'm talking about something with the hangon cables. May not be helpful and I don't know because I haven't built one, just brain storming for you guys.
AHOII.jpg

I made one with ropes and a seat. In the thread called DaveT1963s Ultimate Platform I think? I recently bought an old LW stand and I am cutting the platform up so I can have the Built in V. I will sue the Sampson ropes and a short aluminum tube. Hopefully I will get it down to right at 4 pounds. I am just running out of time - season starts in 14 days :)

Part of the platform advantage is being able to side load it Red, so using existing cables in their location would be a tripping hazard I think. I have my xop set up just like Daves, but using amsteel for platform support and cam action. Im too big to stand on one of these seats without the support rope/cable

I didn't like the ropes and cables in the end and went back to a cable less design.

What if you used a platform from Lonewolf or similar stand and cut it down to smaller size. Then you can take advantage of the platform itself digging into tree when cammed over. Use amsteel to hold it up. I keep seeing these platform ideas with seats. Have one strap with versa button and tighten like hanging a stand

I use the top portion of my xop hand climber as my platform. I use it, and my tether to climb as well.. I haven't weighed it, but it's very light... i use a third hand stabilizer strap and tree strap to keep pressure on the stand so it doesn't fall, or move around...

I got the idea from this video...

I use the same thing: seat of LW climber on my feet to climb and then as my platform.

There are many times when I have a close hunt I will set up my LW Assault (8 pounder) and use it with my saddle. There is no right or wrong way and it is all about using the right gear for that hunt. Heck I have an extra platform from one of the original LWs that you can bet I am going to cut and use like Red stated - just don't have time right now for further mods. I have the Klemz design and like it. Cutting a LW platform down will work the same way but will be a slightly bigger and heaver version.... I also think it will be far more stable with the larger build in v bracket. However, I am not giving up my Klemz design for those long walk ins - not yet anyways. Just one more option/tool in the tool bag.

I use the same thing: seat of LW climber on my feet to climb and then as my platform.

How does this work out? Does it perform well as a platform? Take side pressure ok? What if there are limbs? It seems cumbersome to disconnect/connect the seat around every limb.

I bought a LW climbing seat to cut up (it has the "V" cast into the aluminum) and build a platform, but I never pulled the trigger. I thought about using it like you mentioned.

G2, if you decide you want to ever sell that seat, I'd be interested.....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

G2, if you decide you want to ever sell that seat, I'd be interested.....

I'm a hoarder. I may never use it, but I'll also never sell it. LOL

I found it on ArcheryTalk and I think I paid around $40 for it.

My original plan was to turn it into a Stepp Ladder/Platform hybrid. Since it has the "V" built into the aluminum casting, I thought I could simply add the "V" from the Stepp Ladder bottom and have a cam over platform. Unfortunately I never got around to it and there's the problem of me not knowing how to weld or have access to anyone that does.

Back