• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Your climbing method.

tider

With all the different climbing methods out there , what will you be using 90% of the time this season?

-Sticks,

-Wild Edge steps ( redsquirrel method, Cain method , Knaider, etc ..)

-Climbing spurs

-Or other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been a stick guy for a long time, whether it be multiples or one-stick, but I just got some WE Stepps and they are gonna be my method for this year. Hey will be my climbing method as well as my platform sometimes when I don’t wanna carry my steel DIY (XOP copy) platform. I will be using the RS aider with them.

Modified hawk helium. I climbed with bolts last year on private land and will still use these some. Tried both WE steps and sticks with aiders at saddlepalooza. Much to my surprise I prefer the sticks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Bolts are being pre-set now and I will also use a LW Stick combo some.
The Hawk Heliums look sweet right now... plus I have a hat from SaddlePaloosa that will go well with some Heliums. :)

I used one aider or one stick all last year. This year spurs.

Hawk Helium sticks(w/ rope mods) for going mobile. Also will be using preset 20’ sticks that I’ll need to reach 10’ up so I’ll carry one or two muddy pros with rope mods

Go-to is modded Hawk Heliums with a movable 2 step aider. Usually 3 sticks, ocassionally 4.

Just got some climb right spurs, not really sure yet how much I'll use them. They are illegal most places I hunt.

Summit climber rarely. I'll bust it out when the weather is really nasty or possibly when expecting an all day sit.

More than likely We Steps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the Hawk Helium sticks. Very easy to climb. Two aiders are on the bottom two sticks. I have not made the mods but they seem to be very effective.

-SRT for preset locations.
-XOP Hand climber
-WE Stepps with the Kaider, just finished putting that together yesterday. This will most likely be my go to for run and gun, we'll see how it goes, there will be some learning for sure.
- Really old set of spurs with tree gaffs that I can't replace, I might try and file em down a little, I am not that good at climbing with spurs, also I can't use them anywhere I hunt.
EDIT
-Just got a set of Muddy Pro's, I'm going to make a 1 or 2 step movable aider for them, will use them for short easy hikes, I like having options, lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Plan this year is to use SRT again for public land trees I plan on hunting more than a couple of times along with either the Lone Wolf hand climber or the Predator as a platform. Will be using the Wild Edge Stepps for both climbing and as the platform on mobile pubilc land hunts. For my private land sits I intend to use spurs for climbing along with the above mentioned platform options. I hunt several different Michigan counties and need to check with the CO's (conservation officers) in those areas to verify if spurs are allowed. Since the climbing rules here in Michigan seem to be a little open to interpretation I want to verify with COs individually responsible for areas that they are ok to use.

Bolts on presets. Spurs where possible, sticks on the rest.

Plan this year is to use SRT again for public land trees I plan on hunting more than a couple of times along with either the Lone Wolf hand climber or the Predator as a platform. Will be using the Wild Edge Stepps for both climbing and as the platform on mobile pubilc land hunts. For my private land sits I intend to use spurs for climbing along with the above mentioned platform options. I hunt several different Michigan counties and need to check with the CO's (conservation officers) in those areas to verify if spurs are allowed. Since the climbing rules here in Michigan seem to be a little open to interpretation I want to verify with COs individually responsible for areas that they are ok to use.

Make sure to word your question to your CO's in a way that they understand that spurs do less damage than a lot of legal devices such as climbers. It makes a difference.

Make sure to word your question to your CO's in a way that they understand that spurs do less damage than a lot of legal devices such as climbers. It makes a difference.

Thanks for the suggestion . . . Good input!

Thanks for the suggestion . . . Good input!

I failed to do that when asking my CO and got a negative. Asked the neighboring county CO and worded it differently so as to pout out that they cause less damage than a climbing tree stand and got a YES!

Also get it in writing and keep it on you. I've found that the guy answering questions at a desk and the guy in the field can feel differently about issues.

Back