• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What don’t you like most about the JX3 Hybrid?

I don’t use the hybrid mostly because

• Too heavy

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Too many straps and ropes and such

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Too bulky carrying in

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Restricts movement too much in tree

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Restricts shooting too much

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Too difficult to pee

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Too expensive

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Adjustments too fiddly

• Not 'Merican

• I don't sit down when I hunt

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
Thanks, that's newish I guess!
But do they make a skinny? :)

Problem 1. I don’t have one.

Problem 2. Price not that it’s to expensive but I’m extremely cheap.

Problem 3. If I remember I had a tough time figuring out how to adjust the fork to the tree. Arms out side the bridge or inside? Idk been awhile. Probably cause I’m round and short. But even being short and round the seat seemed like it was several inches to wide.

I sat in Johns gen 1 for quite awhile. It was comfortable and I could draw my bow and shoot comfortable enough. It did take some learning to make sure my bow cleared everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue with mine, but I can generally tweak the handle of the back slightly to keep it from happening again.

@kyler1945 first sit for me below 20 degrees with a little bit of wind.... after about 2 hours my a$$ was freezing through convection heat loss. The web used to be cozy to about 0. It'd be sweet if there was like a 2mm neoprene seat"bottom" available that snapped into the bottom of the seat(underneath) to reflect some heat and prevent loss. Easy enough to make one myself, but up north this would be applicable. I had wool.pants on, schoeller mid layer, and polypropylene base layer so I was dressed for rhe Temps no problem.
VT Bow
Get yourself some 1.0" closed cell foam and cut it to the shape of the underside of the seat.
The straps the run under your seat platform will hold the foam in place nicely.
Keeps my butt warm.

I should probably change my vote on this. I voted too expensive, but just ordered almost every item they carry. It seems to check almost all the boxes for me.

so honestly, so far, it is conveniently placed storage space. I'm not a huge pouch person anymore, I previously just used a predator pack for my ropes and misc bigger stuff, with a pouch on the outside for smaller items. Usually only 1 pouch on my saddle for my phone/smokes/pocket knife. this side pouch was almost always empty unless i was hanging.

I have a few laying around, I threw EWO regular fleece ones onto the molle of the cross straps. they were ok, but not what I was looking for. Tried the smaller EWO hoist style fleece with the hole sewn shut, so its just a mini fleece. It was good, but not big enough to hold what I wanted it for. I tried some of the first aid style pouches and they are too big for my liking hanging from that position. My hoist is sitting under the seat, which just feels odd to me. This is not a slight on EWO, they are fantastic and every product was exactly what was wanted, just didn't fit my own needs in the situation.

I wound up throwing all my stuff into a smaller camo backpack I have, and hooking that from the seat hook. I grab it when setting up, and hang it. At least this is what I've experienced in my jx3 journey so far. I think the solution may be a fanny pack strapped to the seat, which can be taken off and then strapped around the tree, if sturdy enough even becoming my gear hanger.

The older I get, the more I think I want to try the JX3.....Again. Sold my first one after a month of ownership due to the fact that I couldn't get all the ropes and stuff to "flop" out in the right places and I just got Piss^&* Off at the base of the tree. Not Good.

Again: I'm getting older, so I'm thinking I should give it another try!

The older I get, the more I think I want to try the JX3.....Again. Sold my first one after a month of ownership due to the fact that I couldn't get all the ropes and stuff to "flop" out in the right places and I just got Piss^&* Off at the base of the tree. Not Good.

Again: I'm getting older, so I'm thinking I should give it another try!

I walk around with the ropes daisy chained and clipped back on themselves where they go. No pouches or bags for ropes. Sure - if I’m walking five miles I may throw them in the back pack. But for normal hunting, Lb on left hip, tether on right. Never caused me an ounce of trouble.

I clip bridge in, and tuck it in belt. Done and done.

I was interested in trying one but the recent price hike is a definite con. I understand it's a business but you can get into a traditional saddle setup of for about half of that if you shop around. The weight is kind of a wash when you consider that you don't need a platform but it's as heavy as my XOP Vanish and you still need to factor in the weight of the climbing method.

Less than a year later and I have a JX3. There are promo codes out there if you ask them. Helps drop the price a bit. I also sold a few things to offset the cost. Haven’t gotten it on a tree yet but it isn’t as bulky as I imagined and seems to carry well. Nice that it comes with everything basically except a climbing method. Don’t really need more than a couple of steps and/or the top of your stick for a platform.

Less than a year later and I have a JX3. There are promo codes out there if you ask them. Helps drop the price a bit. I also sold a few things to offset the cost. Haven’t gotten it on a tree yet but it isn’t as bulky as I imagined and seems to carry well. Nice that it comes with everything basically except a climbing method. Don’t really need more than a couple of steps and/or the top of your stick for a platform.
It’s been said before, but I really do like the stick + at least two steps on a ROS…. feet resting on those like motorcycle pegs is comfortable and allows precision whale tailing around the tree. Good luck w the new rig.

It’s been said before, but I really do like the stick + at least two steps on a ROS…. feet resting on those like motorcycle pegs is comfortable and allows precision whale tailing around the tree. Good luck w the new rig.

Do you put the steps on the strap for your stick or a separate strap?

Do you put the steps on the strap for your stick or a separate strap?
I like the steps slightly higher than the stick top, so I use a separate strap that I put on at the point where I’m standing in the bottom steps of the stick, before setting everything else up. I usually have em a little closer to me than 180 degrees on the tree, depending on the tree diameter. I haven’t pushed the limits much on full 360 shooting although this year I’m going to add two more steps and practice a little more pushing around the tree.

It blows my mind that the frontrunner in this poll is "Too bulky carrying in." I guess it's a small sample set, idk. Sure this gets comparative, like....it's bulkier than a chest rig with a scout rigged to platform climb. But it's not "bulky" imo. It's built around a backpack frame.

And "too expensive" at #2, I don't get that either. Maybe it's a big pill at $439, but it's still a very fair price for sure. I'd even pay more if it was made in the USA. There are some soft saddle setups that are respectably less expensive, for example $349 for a complete Original Wood Hunting Saddle Kit, which is a pretty nice set imo. But it's easy to see where the money is spent to produce the JX3, so if it's the thing one wants one should understand the pricing is extremely fair.

I find archery a bit tricky from the JX3, but some of that is likely a reflection of my skill and comfort and lack of specific training. I also despise archery from small platforms and soft saddles. I think crossbow and gun hunting pair better.

I still find weight to be a mental hurdle for me. JX3 carries great, but it can get to be a pretty heavy package overall depending on what you pack, and I end up comparing it to other setups...for example a JX3 and 4 Beast sticks vs LW Sit and Climb at the same weight.

I really do like the JX3, I have a JX3, but those are the two drawbacks I consider when choosing my kit for a hunt.

I like the steps slightly higher than the stick top, so I use a separate strap that I put on at the point where I’m standing in the bottom steps of the stick, before setting everything else up. I usually have em a little closer to me than 180 degrees on the tree, depending on the tree diameter. I haven’t pushed the limits much on full 360 shooting although this year I’m going to add two more steps and practice a little more pushing around the tree.
I one stick and i leave my stick on, on my last move and then run 4 steps on a separate strap so i can shoot 360 around the tree. Just have to let out some slack on the tether to go to the back side of the tree.

I one stick and i leave my stick on, on my last move and then run 4 steps on a separate strap so i can shoot 360 around the tree. Just have to let out some slack on the tether to go to the back side of the tree.
Sorry to get a little off track here, but what’s your process for letting some more slack into the tether on the fly?

It blows my mind that the frontrunner in this poll is "Too bulky carrying in." I guess it's a small sample set, idk. Sure this gets comparative, like....it's bulkier than a chest rig with a scout rigged to platform climb. But it's not "bulky" imo. It's built around a backpack frame.

And "too expensive" at #2, I don't get that either. Maybe it's a big pill at $439, but it's still a very fair price for sure. I'd even pay more if it was made in the USA. There are some soft saddle setups that are respectably less expensive, for example $349 for a complete Original Wood Hunting Saddle Kit, which is a pretty nice set imo. But it's easy to see where the money is spent to produce the JX3, so if it's the thing one wants one should understand the pricing is extremely fair.

I find archery a bit tricky from the JX3, but some of that is likely a reflection of my skill and comfort and lack of specific training. I also despise archery from small platforms and soft saddles. I think crossbow and gun hunting pair better.

I still find weight to be a mental hurdle for me. JX3 carries great, but it can get to be a pretty heavy package overall depending on what you pack, and I end up comparing it to other setups...for example a JX3 and 4 Beast sticks vs LW Sit and Climb at the same weight.

I really do like the JX3, I have a JX3, but those are the two drawbacks I consider when choosing my kit for a hunt.

Especially considering that it would cost me probably $40-50 to ship if I tried to ship it and the shipping is free. Hopefully I can get mine on a tree this week and practice a bit. I've just been orienting myself with it and trying to figure out how i'm going to pack things and set up steps.

Especially considering that it would cost me probably $40-50 to ship if I tried to ship it and the shipping is free. Hopefully I can get mine on a tree this week and practice a bit. I've just been orienting myself with it and trying to figure out how i'm going to pack things and set up steps.

Yep, one company charges $30 to ship a soft saddle.

I’ve always been intrigued by the setup and this thread has been very informative:

Pros: It’s comfortable.
Cons: Heavy, wide, bulky, expensive, ropes and straps everywhere, the fork makes noise, too restricted to shoot, hard to lean in, have to switch out pack to use it, can’t access gear, heavy and still need a climbing method, climbing method doesn’t pack well with it.

I realize it was purposefully designed as a “What’s your bitch” thread, but people will normally highlight the things they like as well and so far that has been “its comfortable”. Not exactly an inspiring endorsement for the total package. My Cruzr XC is also very comfortable. I’ve never sat a JX3 but will assume the XC is somewhat less comfortable, but it is certainly not uncomfortable by any means. For some folks, comfort alone may outweigh all other negatives. But when I look at the whole package, the JX3 seems to miss several key metrics for a method (saddle hunting) that purports to key on being light and mobile. Additionally, when you start trying to fix the JX3’s biggest detractors, there is a good chance that you will start impinging on the one thing that sets it apart, it‘s comfort. Be interesting to see if and how it can evolve.

I’ve always been intrigued by the setup and this thread has been very informative:

Cons: Heavy, wide, bulky, expensive, ropes and straps everywhere, the fork makes noise, too restricted to shoot, hard to lean in, have to switch out pack to use it, can’t access gear, heavy and still need a climbing method, climbing method doesn’t pack well with it.

I realize it was purposefully designed as a “What’s your bitch” thread, but people will normally highlight the things they like as well and so far that has been “its comfortable”. Not exactly an inspiring endorsement for the total package. My Cruzr XC is also very comfortable. I’ve never sat a JX3 but will assume the XC is somewhat less comfortable, but it is certainly not uncomfortable by any means. For some folks, comfort alone may outweigh all other negatives. But when I look at the whole package, the JX3 seems to miss several key metrics for a method (saddle hunting) that purports to key on being light and mobile. Additionally, when you start trying to fix the JX3’s biggest detractors, there is a good chance that you will start impinging on the one thing that sets it apart, it‘s comfort. Be interesting to see if and how it can evolve.
The JX3 fits what I need it to do better than any other system. That's why I went to it. The other systems can't do what the JX3 does by themselves. Its extra capabilities are really important to me. It may not be the best at each task I need it for, but it does do them all. Some people may not need all of its capabilities.

I only use mine for all day sits other wise i use a soft saddle, butttttttt I feel some of your opinions are inaccurate I'm 5'6" 160 lbs and wear a medium shirt and I wouldn't say it is any wider than my shoulders. If it is it not much. 2nd it has no more ropes than any soft saddle. straps yes ropes no. 3rd the fork noise can be fixed very easily by removing the bark in the one place where it sets on the tree( and no more noise that knee pads would make and a lot more comfy. 4th it does take some getting used to for shooting but with a ring of steps you can easily shoot 360. 5th no harder to lean in than any other saddle that has a wedding bridge. (yes amsteel bridge does lean easier) 6th i dont switch out packs. I use the same pack regardless of my saddle choice. I just hang it from the lower seat hook that is on the back frame and your good to go. I remove pack at the base of the tree just like i do with a soft saddle and use a pull up rope and use a gear hanger and hang my pack in the same place on the tree that i do when soft saddle hunting so gear access is a none issue for me. Heavier than a soft saddle for sure. I still need a climbing method with my soft saddle. I one stick with both saddles. My one stick attaches to my pack so my climbing method packs just as well with the JX3 as a soft saddle. Not trying to be ugly but you only really have 2 complaints that i see that i didnt address. One is weight and your are correct on that one the other is straps everywhere and in my opinion they all serve a purpose and if you ever tried one you would see that this is a none issue. I get to the tree and hook up my bridge and all of the straps fall into place.

Back