• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How I boil horns… euro mount..

Topdog

SH Member
I’m no professional, but the past few years I started doing euro mounts and I have a pile of them, it’s cheap, easy, they don’t take up a ton of room, and if done right.. impressive, as I sit here today watching my pot boil I thought I would share my method, I’m sure there’s many methods, but this is what works for me.

I wrap the lower section with tin foil, and cover all of that with cheap black electrical tape from Harbor Freight, that’s the first thing I do.

Next up, I get all the brains out, a total pain in the ass but it must be done, I use a piece of wire with a small bend at the end, a coat hanger works too, just keep at it, there’s more than you think up in there, holding the rack upside down and letting gravity help as you twist and pull is the best, it sucks but it makes the rest of my process much easier. Pull all the eyes and junk behind them out, the more material you remove before the boiling process starts makes life easier, I get rid of the lower jaw as well, I’m sure it can be saved, I just prefer it off, and on this deer all this work is redundant because it’s getting mounted eventually, my taxidermist has a long wait so I’m boiling it for the time being while I wait for him, as per his advice.

I use the burner off a turkey deep fryer and a cheap dedicated pot just for this, bring the water to a boil, not crazy just enough… add some Dawn dish soap, a generous amount of those Oxi Clean crystals, lower the rack into the water, I also use some scrap lumber to help prop the rack up off the pot, probably unnecessary but I do it, sometimes.

I never get the water screaming hot, just let it simmer and be patient, I keep checking it until the cartilage and meat seems to be starting to fall off, I would guess it takes a couple hours. Once it looks ready I begin the my least favorite part, pressure washing, I hate it, your absolutely covered with **** once done, but I get excellent results, so I do it, I go to a friends garage with a real pressure washer, but any will work, my little pressure washer is put away for the winter. After pressure washing it should look about like this.

Next it’s time to get back at it with some pliers, a knife, anything you think would work to get the more stubborn pieces of stuff off.

After that it’s ready for cream. I use a cheap plastic dish pan from Walmart, I carefully pour that stuff all over the skull.. making sure to avoid the horns obviously, in the brain cavity, up the nose, you should have a nice puddle of cream in the pan once done, set the rack right in it. After the rack is wedged in there good and stable, I use a cheap paint brush from Harbor Freight and spread the puddle of drippings in the pan back over the skull, making sure not to miss any less obvious spots.

I usually let it sit like this for a couple of days, every so often I take the brush and drip some more cream all over the skull, making sure everything has a nice thick layer of that stuff. Once it’s ready I just rinse it all off with a garden hose and that’s it, finished. I would guess I spent 5 hours on this project today, I’m don’t love doing it, but the results are usually very good and to me it’s worth it!

Last edited:
I’m no professional, but the past few years I started doing euro mounts and I have a pile of them, it’s cheap, easy, they don’t take up a ton of room, and if done right.. impressive, as I sit here today watching my pot boil I thought I would share my method, I’m sure there’s many methods, but this is what works for me.
View attachment 77232
I wrap the lower section with tin foil, and cover all of that with cheap black electrical tape from Harbor Freight, that’s the first thing I do.
View attachment 77233
View attachment 77234
Next up, I get all the brains out, a total pain in the ass but it must be done, I use a piece of wire with a small bend at the end, a coat hanger works too, just keep at it, there’s more than you think up in there, holding the rack upside down and letting gravity help as you twist and pull is the best, it sucks but it makes the rest of my process much easier. Pull all the eyes and junk behind them out, the more material you remove before the boiling process starts makes life easier, I get rid of the lower jaw as well, I’m sure it can be saved, I just prefer it off, and on this deer all this work is redundant because it’s getting mounted eventually, my taxidermist has a long wait so I’m boiling it for the time being while I wait for him, as per his advice.
View attachment 77235
I use the burner off a turkey deep fryer and a cheap dedicated pot just for this, bring the water to a boil, not crazy just enough… add some Dawn dish soap, a generous amount of those Oxi Clean crystals, lower the rack into the water, I also use some scrap lumber to help prop the rack up off the pot, probably unnecessary but I do it, sometimes.
View attachment 77259
View attachment 77260
View attachment 77261
I never get the water screaming hot, just let it simmer and be patient, I keep checking it until the cartilage and meat seems to be starting to fall off, I would guess it takes a couple hours. Once it looks ready I begin the my least favorite part, pressure washing, I hate it, your absolutely covered with **** once done, but I get excellent results, so I do it, I go to a friends garage with a real pressure washer, but any will work, my little pressure washer is put away for the winter. After pressure washing it should look about like this.
View attachment 77263
Next it’s time to get back at it with some pliers, a knife, anything you think would work to get the more stubborn pieces of stuff off.
View attachment 77264
After that it’s ready for cream. I use a cheap plastic dish pan from Walmart, I carefully pour that stuff all over the skull.. making sure to avoid the horns obviously, in the brain cavity, up the nose, you should have a nice puddle of cream in the pan once done, set the rack right in it. After the rack is wedged in there good and stable, I use a cheap paint brush from Harbor Freight and spread the puddle of drippings in the pan back over the skull, making sure not to miss any less obvious spots.
View attachment 77265
I usually let it sit like this for a couple of days, every so often I take the brush and drip some more cream all over the skull, making sure everything has a nice thick layer of that stuff. Once it’s ready I just rinse it all off with a garden hose and that’s it, finished. I would guess I spent 5 hours on this project today, I’m don’t love doing it, but the results are usually very good and to me it’s worth it!
So glad you posted this. I'm doing that with my buck I shot this year. How long do you bleach it out for? I've heard to use the hydrogen peroxide creams the hair salon's use to bleach hair is that what that Salon Care 30 stuff you have there is? Also, where did you get that and how much is it?

I've done at least a half dozen between my own and friends deer. I use borax and dawn for mine. not much difference. When I did my first skull the gal at the beauty supply store new exactly what I was looking for as she said there as many hunters looking for the whitener as is hair dressers.

I've done at least a half dozen between my own and friends deer. I use borax and dawn for mine. not much difference. When I did my first skull the gal at the beauty supply store new exactly what I was looking for as she said there as many hunters looking for the whitener as is hair dressers.
That's cool. I have a bunch of racks with just the skull plates I need to attend too as well. I was thinking of bleaching them out and screwing them onto a long piece of black walnut I've had sitting in my shed for awhile. What do you guys do with just your skull plate bucks? I was also thinking about the leather wraps at the Taxidermy shops but don't want to buy anything if I don't have too.

I use a similar method but I just simmer them and don’t let it boil. I cover the bases with plastic wrap and it works nicely.

d4944b68daef9fa589480fde34f9517f.jpg

6af40ffee2bf9a917bd54760da43b2f8.jpg

9d757d05fd88117f1500a5269e839f0e.jpg

Here are a few I’ve done. I usually seal them with ModgePodge at the very end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So glad you posted this. I'm doing that with my buck I shot this year. How long do you bleach it out for? I've heard to use the hydrogen peroxide creams the hair salon's use to bleach hair is that what that Salon Care 30 stuff you have there is? Also, where did you get that and how much is it?
get 40 volume if you can find it. thats the strongest.

Yes it is, Sally’s Beauty Supply, I’m going bald and my beard looks like the underside of a coyotes belly so if you don’t think I felt uncomfortable walking in there lmao, and yes the girl knew exactly what I wanted. I let is sit in that dish pan a couple of days, it mite not need that long but it doesn’t hurt.
View attachment 77267
They come out nice, I’ve did a bunch and everyone agrees they look good. The buck I’m doing today was aged at 7.5 a couple days ago, it’s pretty cool all the character his skull has compared to my other ones, it’s the deer I killed last week.
can we see a pic of the bottom of the teeth on him? 7.5 is an old boy. Ive shot does that old that had slick ground down teeth. its cool to see

I skin em and leave all bits attached. Simmer for a couple hours. Pull all the bits I can at that point with wire brush needle nose and hose pressure.

Drop back in with dawn and oxi clean for another hour or two.

Hit it with pressure washer or hose and mush brains.

Usually after these two baths it’s clean enough for finish work, but sometimes I go another bath in dawn for half hour just to be sure. Use same peroxide you do, paint and Saran Wrap.

Rinse.

Dry.

Hang.

I don’t spend anytime up front picking bits.

I agree with what others are saying. SIMMER dont boil. Boiling makes everything stick to the skull and makes it a real pain to clean afterwards compared to simmering. THink about cooking a rack of ribs. IF you cook it low and slow it just falls right off the bone. 5 or 6 hrs at 170 or 180 and it will fall right off. especially all the crap on the inside. OXiclean and some dawn help degrease it but whitetails arent too bad.

Great job! I put mine in the pot hide and all and bring up to a low boil. After about 2 hours I skin the heard and remove big chunks of meat. Pour out the old water and add new, bring to a low boil again. I add Dawn soap and some Borax. I go back out every two hours or so throughout the day and clean more bits off. I usually start them about daylight and by dark they are clean and ready to go. I've done 6 or 8 for myself and probably that many as well for a friend's kids.

can we see a pic of the bottom of the teeth on him? 7.5 is an old boy. Ive shot does that old that had slick ground down teeth. its cool to see
Yes just remind me if I forget, it’s in the pan soaking right now and will be for 2 days.

When people say simmer does that mean light or occasional bubbling or no bubbling at all? If it's bubbling, that's boiling, so you're soaking at 212 degrees F. If it's a hard rolling boil, it's still soaking at 212 degrees F. Other than splashing on the rack, there's no difference.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

When people say simmer does that mean light or occasional bubbling or no bubbling at all? If it's bubbling, that's boiling, so you're soaking at 212 degrees F. If it's a hard rolling boil, it's still soaking at 212 degrees F. Other than splashing on the rack, there's no difference.

I do a similar step but leave the brains in for the 1st cook. 45 minutes in the pot at a heavy simmer, adding oxyclean slowly, blow the brains out with the air hose into a trash can, scrape off obvious heavy chunks, 45 minutes in the pot again with oxyclean then take it to the car wash and pressure wash it.
Salon hydrogen peroxide applied with latex gloves for a couple days and you're done.

I've boiled them with no ill effects but only for 45 min at a time. If you're using oxyclean and add it to boiling water quickly you'll have an oxyclean volcano.

Back