• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd Predator CFX

Most aluminum stands, especially welded and cast ones, will undergo micro fracturing after extend cyclical loading. Rest assured that the longer you use a stand the higher risk you have of stress fracturing to failure. Also know that the closer you are to the weight limit, the more you increase your risk of eventual failing the stand. There’s just not much for margin on hunting stands, and I can guarantee you that next to no one is doing fracture or fatigue analysis. :)

Once I heard that aluminum gets fatigue from smaller forces applied over and over and steel does not....I almost went to a steel carabiner for my tether to bridge connection.

What do you think about weighting and unweighting an aluminum carabiner over and over that is a single point of failure and life support?

Has anyone ever considered where the saddle industry would be without Tethrd? I'll go out on a limb and say they have greater sales than any other company in the industry, which means they've put more hunters in the tree than any another factor, now you guys that have clogged this thread, and others, up with underhanded comments and retreaded jokes tell me that without Tethrd doing more to increase the customer base where would all the start up companies that manufacture cookie cutter platforms, sticks, and saddles be? Non existent that's where. When I started down the saddle hunting path I joined this forum to educate myself and to be honest I was overwhelmed by the terms, the techniques, and the choices, Tethr was the only company that manufactured and sold it all, while doing their best to educate the newbie like me. Am I a fanboy, No, as my Tethrd gear wears out or needs replaced I'll look at all the options available, and when I drop $400 on a custom made saddle from a smaller company run out of someones garage or when I replace my platform with one from a company that manufacturers a fraction of what Tethrd produces those companies will owe those sales to Tethrd. Leave a positive mark and you all have a happy and safe holiday season.

I just reread this entire thread again and really the discussion is pretty tame overall. Sure there’s some quips here and there, no denying it. But, there’s a history that fosters that too. Generally, it has been pretty light in this specific thread.

Overall, I think the tone has been one of interest in the product and CF technology. I think that’s where the conversation should stay, and that posts like yours equally off track a thread as do posts meant for a quick laugh. I’m ok with both supporters and detractors saying their bit; it does however invite more talk about the company than the product.

So to talk about Tethrd then:
Amazingly the Tethrd guys were learning from this site just like you, before they started a business. They were pretty active in think-tank threads and were contributors. They also took from the forum a foundation for a substantial business. As a matter of fact, they’ve been retreading ideas from this forum literally like it is their business. They’ve also brought some original ideas to the table and are pretty good with functional product refinement.

So, sure, they moved the ball; kudos to that. But let’s also consider one reason why there has been room for competition and a growing industry…Tethrd has had a lot of issues with their products. Marketing has been a critical tool to burying that and/or dragging consumers across those muddied waters to their product line.

It’s important to recognize this…
Tethrd’s public engagement isn’t charitable, it’s profitable.

They educate, sure. But as you said, they make all saddle hunting components. The instruction they offer spotlights all that gear. So, is it really education or is it product demonstration and marketing?
I’d say a bit of both are possible, but the jumping off point for me is when Greg claimed everyone else using a versa button and fold flat design was following Tethrd’s lead. That’s a look under the rug, imo. Comments like that make it seem as if Tethrd would like folks to think they invented saddlehunting…and have them waxing on about all the good that Tethrd has done.

I don’t own any Tethrd stuff. There’s some items I think are smart. But I bought an AH Flex, found this forum, did some diy. And since Tethrd came to market, history hasn’t been on their side, if you’ve been watching, no matter what they tell you.

Tethrd is all about Tethrd.

It’s business, I get it.

Some of the other companies are getting nuttier too.

In closing, on their most advanced product ever, I see Tethrd is still employing that fold flat post and button design that Greg inferred was a Tethrd trademark but was designed and marketed far earlier. Lol.

If we are to wonder where saddlehunting would be without Tethrd, we will first have to wonder where would Tethrd be without Lone Wolf and the saddlehunter forum.

Last edited:
I just reread this entire thread again and really the discussion is pretty tame overall. Sure there’s some quips here and there, no denying it. But, there’s a history that fosters that too. Generally, it has been pretty light in this specific thread.

Overall, I think the tone has been one of interest in the product and CF technology. I think that’s where the conversation should stay, and that posts like yours equally off track a thread as do posts meant for a quick laugh. I’m ok with both supporters and detractors saying their bit; it does however invite more talk about the company than the product.

So to talk about Tethrd then:
Amazingly the Tethrd guys were learning from this site just like you, before they started a business. They were pretty active in think-tank threads and were contributors. They also took from the forum a foundation for a substantial business. As a matter of fact, they’ve been retreading ideas from this forum literally like it is their business. They’ve also brought some original ideas to the table and are pretty good with functional product refinement.

So, sure, they moved the ball; kudos to that. But let’s also consider one reason why there has been room for competition and a growing industry…Tethrd has had a lot of issues with their products. Marketing has been a critical tool to burying that and/or dragging consumers across those muddied waters to their product line.

It’s important to recognize this…
Tethrd’s public engagement isn’t charitable, it’s profitable.

They educate, sure. But as you said, they make all saddle hunting components. The instruction they offer spotlights all that gear. So, is it really education or is it product demonstration and marketing?
I’d say a bit of both are possible, but the jumping off point for me is when Greg claimed everyone else using a versa button and fold flat design was following Tethrd’s lead. That’s a look under the rug, imo. Comments like that make it seem as if Tethrd would like folks to think they invented saddlehunting…and have them waxing on about all the good that Tethrd has done.

I don’t own any Tethrd stuff. There’s some items I think are smart. But I bought an AH Flex, found this forum, did some diy. And since Tethrd came to market, history hasn’t been on their side, if you’ve been watching, no matter what they tell you.

Tethrd is all about Tethrd.

It’s business, I get it.

Some of the other companies are getting nuttier too.

In closing, on their most advanced product ever, I see Tethrd is still employing that fold flat post and button design that Greg inferred was a Tethrd trademark but was designed and marketed far earlier. Lol.

If we are to wonder where saddlehunting would be without Tethrd, we will first have to wonder where would Tethrd be without Lone Wolf and the saddlehunter forum.
I have no beef with Tethrd. I think any company’s main objective should be to create value by providing products people want at a price they’re willing to pay. Tethrd has done this very well with several solid products. I think there is a fine line between listening to what customers want to provide that value and stealing ideas, and most of that difference is a matter of public opinion/marketing.

Some interesting information as it relates to Carbon Fiber vs Aluminum in aircraft; I imagine it should relate but I'm also not in that field. The link is setup to start at the 7m43s mark. References the wings of the 787, which are indeed Carbon Fiber.

The Insane Engineering of the 787

I think it stops being relevant for this thread at about the 10m10s mark.

Last edited:
Some interesting information as it relates to Carbon Fiber vs Aluminum in aircraft; I imagine it should relate but I'm also not in that field.

The Insane Engineering of the 787

I think it stops being relevant for this thread at about the 10m10s mark.
Recognizing I could get this info clicking through and spending 10 min or so, but aren’t aerospace parts generally laid up with woven carbon fiber bonded with epoxy? If so, this isn’t that… it’s molded plastic with carbon fibers mixed in.

Recognizing I could get this info clicking through and spending 10 min or so, but aren’t aerospace parts generally laid up with woven carbon fiber bonded with epoxy? If so, this isn’t that… it’s molded plastic with carbon fibers mixed in.
Less than 3 minutes, but hey. Not sure how a carbon fiber Spar/I-Beams are made. I know for sure the fuselage is woven fiber bonded like you say.

Less than 3 minutes, but hey. Not sure how a carbon fiber Spar/I-Beams are made. I know for sure the fuselage is woven fiber bonded like you say.
Generally they are laid up either by hand or more commonly with a rotary machine that turns the part while it wraps then presses(to shape) before coating and repeating. Which is the way we traditionally think of carbon fiber components. And they’re light because this method is very strong and allows it to be hollow
Glock has been making handguns out of molded plastic infused with fibers for years and that’s driven more companies to trust it, even if the forces are completely different and they have limited knowledge of their manufacturing. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with this method of production. But I bet if you ask Glock what you should do if your frame is cracking/popping stress fracturing they’re not going to tell you it’s fine it’s just settling.

Generally they are laid up either by hand or more commonly with a rotary machine that turns the part while it wraps then presses(to shape) before coating and repeating. Which is the way we traditionally think of carbon fiber components. And they’re light because this method is very strong and allows it to be hollow
Glock has been making handguns out of molded plastic infused with fibers for years and that’s driven more companies to trust it, even if the forces are completely different and they have limited knowledge of their manufacturing. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with this method of production. But I bet if you ask Glock what you should do if your frame is cracking/popping stress fracturing they’re not going to tell you it’s fine it’s just settling.

I'm surprised no one is making multiple material platforms.

Some of the areas must be less structural. Why not make them out of fiberglass reinforced nylon (FRN) or even amsteel pulled tight?

I'm thinking of an FRN platform with titanium tubes inserted in key areas.

I have no beef with Tethrd. I think any company’s main objective should be to create value by providing products people want at a price they’re willing to pay. Tethrd has done this very well with several solid products. I think there is a fine line between listening to what customers want to provide that value and stealing ideas, and most of that difference is a matter of public opinion/marketing.

Individual opinions are often better formed than public opinions. Folks can respond to the information I posted as they wish. Just think it’s part of a fuller story.

I do agree that cut throat and cutting edge can be on a knife’s edge in business. So be it.

But there really is no excuse for letting on that your company led the fold flat button movement unless you’re Lone Wolf. It’s just duplicitous otherwise.

And I think we would have a hard time sorting out solid Tethrd products that weren’t at one time shaky (if we’re talking “several”).

I think it’s cool that they did a CF platform, btw.

Just, if we’re going to do the Tethrd apologist thing it’s fair to know why we even need to have to do that.

Hope to hear more about their CF matrix and this breaking in process. Still intrigued.

To me, the biggest thing Tethrd has done is come up with a solution/method for going up the tree and hunting… and not just a component or partial solution. Hard to do that without stepping on some toes, and I suspect that’s what kept the more polite guys in the market from doing this.

Agree from what I’m hearing they’ve won the PR battle with the new guys but their arrogance(and a bit of bullshitting) has lost the PR battle with the old guard.

I do agree that cut throat and cutting edge can be on a knife’s edge in business. So be it.

Now that’s downright poetic - I’ll probably steal that!

Since we (the people on this forum) are comprised of some new guys and some old guard (great Netflix movie by the way) we will have different levels and experiences with products and brand loyalty.

But the main reason I love this forum is because of the factual and statistical data discussed by hard use of any and all gear in the fairly new saddle hunting industry (circa 2017ish due to overt marketing).

If we as a collective are bashing a product, usually the collective is correct. Conversely, if the collective agrees on a product, it usually is a legit product. Marketing doesn't work on us. Actual testing and use does, hence the classifieds having the most posts on the site.

I was able to use this platform prior to release and was impressed but also let down at the final specs. Some people will love it. Some will hate it.

Since we (the people on this forum) are comprised of some new guys and some old guard (great Netflix movie by the way) we will have different levels and experiences with products and brand loyalty.

But the main reason I love this forum is because of the factual and statistical data discussed by hard use of any and all gear in the fairly new saddle hunting industry (circa 2017ish due to overt marketing).

If we as a collective are bashing a product, usually the collective is correct. Conversely, if the collective agrees on a product, it usually is a legit product. Marketing doesn't work on us. Actual testing and use does, hence the classifieds having the most posts on the site.

I was able to use this platform prior to release and was impressed but also let down at the final specs. Some people will love it. Some will hate it.

Does yours have any cracking or delamination happening?

Does yours have any cracking or delamination happening?
I was able to use it in September and October and most of November. I then had to send it back due to me having to depart for an elongated work trip. So I have not had one since November. I did not see any issues with the one I was using. So I'm assuming it was extra seasoned and dirty like someone's favorite cast iron or wok.

Fact check?? Anyone?? :tearsofjoy:.
I meant this forum doesn't get blasted with the targeted online marketing ads like you would on other sites like FB or IG etc. Combine that with individual reviews from forum members from Looozeana all the up to the Great Lakes and it's fairly easy to know if a product works well in all those environments that it is probably a winner.

Just got mine tonight. First impressions is no cracks in it. Doesn't feel nearly as plasticly as I would have expected. Doesn't seem like the leveling bolt has nearly as much adjustment as the predator does. Could be a deal breaker for me

Last edited:
Yeah you can't really angle it way down. If the tree is leaning away from you a bunch the platform may not be even level to the ground.

Yeah you can't really angle it way down. If the tree is leaning away from you a bunch the platform may not be even level to the ground.
Ya, more I think about it the more a massive deal breaker it becomes. I could think of at least 6-7 times this year I had to massively level down the predator because of the tree angle.

Back