• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 plans?!?

Camelcluch

SH Member
My passion is archery elk hunting. So, right after September I start planning the next year’s hunts. Later this month I will put in for Arizona. Then in the next following months I’ll get my apps in for Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Montana and Kentucky elk. I’m just buying a Wyoming point this year in hopes the heard rebounds from the winter kill last year. I will also put in for Kansas deer again. Good luck to you all in your draws!

We're heading in the opposite direction! I been public land for a while. Wife has agreed to let me hunt a buck in our backwoods! But she put a point restriction of 8+ and don't even dare to even point a finger at one of her precious doe. We had the house for 5 years and she weakening her rules. So now I'm going save for a few cams, not sure if I'm going cellular since its literally my backyard, but low chance of theft make me want to invest in the cellular technology.

We're heading in the opposite direction! I been public land for a while. Wife has agreed to let me hunt a buck in our backwoods! But she put a point restriction of 8+ and don't even dare to even point a finger at one of her precious doe. We had the house for 5 years and she weakening her rules. So now I'm going save for a few cams, not sure if I'm going cellular since its literally my backyard, but low chance of theft make me want to invest in the cellular technology.
I would send her away for a week or a long weekend with friends or family and go on a killing spree in my backyard.

I would send her away for a week or a long weekend with friends or family and go on a killing spree in my backyard.
This was 2 weeks ago. Wife actually has me setup feeders so 'the deer don't get hungry during the winter'. Bless her soul.....

View from my bathroom. 42 yards, ranged it.

1704219747063.png

My passion is archery elk hunting. So, right after September I start planning the next year’s hunts. Later this month I will put in for Arizona. Then in the next following months I’ll get my apps in for Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Montana and Kentucky elk. I’m just buying a Wyoming point this year in hopes the heard rebounds from the winter kill last year. I will also put in for Kansas deer again. Good luck to you all in your draws!
But man, I'm jealous of you. Elk hunting sound amazing.

I gotta ask. Why Kentucky elk? You're out there in prime elk country, aren't you? Maybe I just don't know where elk live, for example Kentucky lol. I know Michigan and PA have them though.

On topic, no special plans here. Keep grinding away at whitetail and be smart enough to take a gun turkey hunting this spring. Planning on doing some fishing locally, maybe over on lake MI, which is pretty close for me. I'd love to go hunt some western states / games but that's not happening soon, let alone this year

Lose some weight and get fitter over the winter (famous last words! :tearsofjoy: )...do more pre-season scouting....practice with my saddle/sticks and finally do some saddle hunting....maybe plan an Alberta archery elk hunt if the bank account allows.

Despite eating tag soup this past hunting season, I really enjoyed the Fall hunting. Learned a lot which will help improve the odds for this year's hunting! Really happy with my gear setup, so only minor tweaking this year, I think.....I'm pretty much geared up the way I want to handle all my hunts. I got out hunting more than ever, but still feel like it wasn't enough, so plan to get into the field even more this year and to do way more pre-season scouting to up the odds of connecting. I did get within 35 yards of a fat doe this year, but there was a bit of brush in the way and it would have been a full frontal shot so I passed on loosing an arrow...but that was exciting nonetheless. Lots of lessons to improve the moose camp as well, so that should be really great this year.

Right now it looks like I will put in for a point in Wy, will try to draw KS, already e-scouting South Carolina and mostly have that plan squared away. If KS draw doesnt work out, I will look at a different out of state option. Need to check the CO draw from this past year for the unit I hunt because I may need a point for it going into 2025 when I will hunt out there again.

Complete the Redeye Bass Grand Slam. Completed the Mobile Basin Redeye Slam last year and had a blast doing it.

Complete the Georgia Black Bass Slam. Catch 5/10 of Georgia's Black Bass

Finish catching a fish on the fly in every county in Alabama. 21 counties left out of 67.

Finish book on above.

Take kiddo on her first canoe trip.

Buy as little crap as possible. Throw/give away as much crap as possible.

For archery elk Ill be putting in points in AZ, WY, and CO this year. I could technically draw a general tag MT this year but I don't want to hunt solo in grizzly country, so I might let last year's point die. I'll most likely be hunting a new unit in CO this year (one of those zero point draw units).

On the whitetail front I'm still building a list of honey holes close to me since my last move, additionally I'm looking at some public in IL for this year.

Be applying for Colorado 3rd season mule deer should draw the tag with 6 points ..Kansas whitetails again..Apply in New Mexico for archery elk and deer then points in Iowa Montana Wyoming Utah Colorado and Arizona

Kentucky is more of a novelty hunt. The app is reasonably priced and I like adventure. Plus, elk hunts are getting difficult out west. I’ll take any opportunity I can get to hunt elk.

I know a guy that’s put in for years in KY and has never been drawn. Good luck. I also need to start applying there myself.

I need better spots next season. Bottom line. Worry less about gear and do more scouting. I’d take one nice private piece close to the house. Got some maybes this year. Need to follow up with them.

So I know it varies but what kind of coin are we talkin’ with all of these draws? On average? I’d love to try Iowa and Kansas Missouri and Oklahoma maybe Nebraska. Are they all draw states? I don’t want to do an outfitter or guide.

So I know it varies but what kind of coin are we talkin’ with all of these draws? On average? I’d love to try Iowa and Kansas Missouri and Oklahoma maybe Nebraska. Are they all draw states? I don’t want to do an outfitter or guide.
Iowa, each year you apply or buy a point you get a point. I have 4 points. I will apply in 24 but I have a almost zero chance of getting drawn. I hunt Iowa public.

Iowa, each year you apply or buy a point you get a point. I have 4 points. I will apply in 24 but I have a almost zero chance of getting drawn. I hunt Iowa public.
Does that mean you need 6+ points to get drawn?

Same plan as every year! Try and take over the world!!! Lol but seriously not much, same old same old public land N. Louisiana, already have all my spots hunting same woods I always have. Didn’t even get tags this year and I didn’t even pick the bow up since September, oddly I’ve focused on finishing things around the homestead, revamped my 3d range and next season I’ll be good and hungry.

In 2024 I plan so do more scouting and site prep than past years. I’m also planning to go to the Adirondack’s and white mountains for some tracking during the rut, seeing as how we no longer have snow in southern New England anymore.

Back