• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

LWCG stand setups

Bow peg design is a success!! Best 2$ mod I could have done. Minus the cutting of the stand of course.

Bow peg design is a success!! Best 2$ mod I could have done. Minus the cutting of the stand of course.

Looks like it works good for you, but I personally would never cut out the center of the stand, you just ended your lifetime warranty and if you ever decide to sell that stand it’s going to be extremely hard to sell…
I would never do any modifications that would void the manufacturer warranty, this comment isn’t necessary for you but for others reading this post just to keep all factors in mind while doing any modifications.

Interesting comparative review. Had no idea they were that close weight wise in the different configurations.

A 20" post will not work on the .5 in pack frame configuration or even flat because the locking tabs would probably align with the front edge of the stand is that right? That's why LWCG only offers 18" or 22"? Anyone attempt to try a 20" post on a .5?

Standard seat size is the same on both? 11" x 8.75"? 2.0 comes with large seat and .5 with the smallest.
I thought 1.0 and 2.0 came with the large seat, which is the one I would order next time unless I went with mesh.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but this video summarizes my mobile setup in late season. This is a public land hunt that I accessed the back of the land by boat. But still had 600 yards of walking to do. I see so many setups in pictures here but wonder how do you guys actually walk in with your setups. I mean, I have to be stripped down to base layers so I don't sweat even on the shorter .5 mile type walks. So all my outer layers and some mid-layers need to be carried in.

My primary in late season system is a kuiu 3600 pack, lwcg .5 with mesh seat (so worth having the mesh seat), 3 Shikars and i use two versa aiders and easily get over 21 feet and as much as 25ft. My camera gear is pretty bulky. I use a sony a7siii with a Tamron 70-180mm lens (5lbs) and either a gopro or sony a6700 as a second camera. I place the A7SIII and lens in a camera cube and it goes in bottom of the kuiu 3600. Fits perfect and protects the camera. I also use either 4th arrow stiff arm or lwcg pocket arm. I put the stand in between the KUIU frame and bag. I put my hand muff, neck gaiter and puffy jacket in the bag. Outer jacket, and bibs are strapped to the outer part of the bag and I hand carry the sticks. You can see in the video the setup and how i climb. Lately I have been repelling down and use repel rope as my tether just for a quicker descent. And the 8mm oplux line is what I use to pull up my 3600 bag. I put my layers on when in the stand.

The only thing, i dont like about the setup is the mesh seat sticks up kind of high. I may try a larger normal type seat next year. I also ordered some Tethrd one sticks during the last sale. Other than saving about 2lbs, Im not sure if anything will beat the Shikar and double versa aiders though for me.

I enjoyed this thread...so many good ideas.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but this video summarizes my mobile setup in late season. This is a public land hunt that I accessed the back of the land by boat. But still had 600 yards of walking to do. I see so many setups in pictures here but wonder how do you guys actually walk in with your setups. I mean, I have to be stripped down to base layers so I don't sweat even on the shorter .5 mile type walks. So all my outer layers and some mid-layers need to be carried in.

My primary in late season system is a kuiu 3600 pack, lwcg .5 with mesh seat (so worth having the mesh seat), 3 Shikars and i use two versa aiders and easily get over 21 feet and as much as 25ft. My camera gear is pretty bulky. I use a sony a7siii with a Tamron 70-180mm lens (5lbs) and either a gopro or sony a6700 as a second camera. I place the A7SIII and lens in a camera cube and it goes in bottom of the kuiu 3600. Fits perfect and protects the camera. I also use either 4th arrow stiff arm or lwcg pocket arm. I put the stand in between the KUIU frame and bag. I put my hand muff, neck gaiter and puffy jacket in the bag. Outer jacket, and bibs are strapped to the outer part of the bag and I hand carry the sticks. You can see in the video the setup and how i climb. Lately I have been repelling down and use repel rope as my tether just for a quicker descent. And the 8mm oplux line is what I use to pull up my 3600 bag. I put my layers on when in the stand.

The only thing, i dont like about the setup is the mesh seat sticks up kind of high. I may try a larger normal type seat next year. I also ordered some Tethrd one sticks during the last sale. Other than saving about 2lbs, Im not sure if anything will beat the Shikar and double versa aiders though for me.

Thanks for posting. I used the double versa aider method for 2 years. Only issue was coming down. Never tried repelling.
Are you going to use aiders with the One sticks?

Thanks for posting. I used the double versa aider method for 2 years. Only issue was coming down. Never tried repelling.
Are you going to use aiders with the One sticks?
GeoFish, I ordered the one sticks back on 12/27 and just got an email about an hour ago saying they are now on backorder. So I canceled the order. Honestly, just kind of mad they are just letting me know now. They were not marked as out of stock when i ordered.

I ordered the cg-one 3 step aider that I was going to try with the one sticks. Ive never had an issue using aiders while one sticking. I only pulled the trigger on the sticks because they were on sale and got caught up in there 1lb weight and of course reading threads on here lol. But even after I ordered them, I was thinking to myself there is no way they will be better then being able to fold up the shikars and I really like the versa aiders. (4 ozs for two of them). I didnt do this in the video, but at the top of my third stick, i can set my stand about 2 to 3 feet higher and set my tether/repel rope and use prussic knot and carabiner to attach my versa aider to the carbiner one more time to climb into the stand. I really probably could get away with just two shikar sticks and w the 2-3 feet extra be at 17/18 feet.

Coming down is never fun for me...seems to hurt me knees more going down then up. So lately i just carry the extra weight of 8mm oplux and a grigri+ to come down. Plus, in late season with all my clothes on...its a little bulky to come down...but repelling, its not an issue oh and it is fun. I may wish I had kept the order later...but i was only looking to save about 2 lbs. Ill look at them again over the summer.

What sticks are you currently using with the versa aiders? Right now I feel like the double versa aiders and shikars are my favorite climbing method. Im pretty sure Ive tried them all. :)

GeoFish, I ordered the one sticks back on 12/27 and just got an email about an hour ago saying they are now on backorder. So I canceled the order. Honestly, just kind of mad they are just letting me know now. They were not marked as out of stock when i ordered.

I ordered the cg-one 3 step aider that I was going to try with the one sticks. Ive never had an issue using aiders while one sticking. I only pulled the trigger on the sticks because they were on sale and got caught up in there 1lb weight and of course reading threads on here lol. But even after I ordered them, I was thinking to myself there is no way they will be better then being able to fold up the shikars and I really like the versa aiders. (4 ozs for two of them). I didnt do this in the video, but at the top of my third stick, i can set my stand about 2 to 3 feet higher and set my tether/repel rope and use prussic knot and carabiner to attach my versa aider to the carbiner one more time to climb into the stand. I really probably could get away with just two shikar sticks and w the 2-3 feet extra be at 17/18 feet.

Coming down is never fun for me...seems to hurt me knees more going down then up. So lately i just carry the extra weight of 8mm oplux and a grigri+ to come down. Plus, in late season with all my clothes on...its a little bulky to come down...but repelling, its not an issue oh and it is fun. I may wish I had kept the order later...but i was only looking to save about 2 lbs. Ill look at them again over the summer.

What sticks are you currently using with the versa aiders? Right now I feel like the double versa aiders and shikars are my favorite climbing method. Im pretty sure Ive tried them all. :)
I ran the versa aiders attached to the steps of modified Lone Wolf sticks cut down and with double steps. I used them with versa aiders in 2020 and 2021. I have since gotten away from aiders after trying just about everything. The issue is always coming down. I just picked up 4 Novix single step sticks and will add 3 Apex steps at the base of the tree.
Anyway it looks like some new sticks comming out this year.
This one has my attention.

I ran the versa aiders attached to the steps of modified Lone Wolf sticks cut down and with double steps. I used them with versa aiders in 2020 and 2021. I have since gotten away from aiders after trying just about everything. The issue is always coming down. I just picked up 4 Novix single step sticks and will add 3 Apex steps at the base of the tree.
Interesting on the cattrax. Im 6'1 and 220lbs. I start worrying a little bit about the ruggedness of the ultra lightweight stuff. But hey, I ve been riding carbon frame mountain bikes and carbon frame wheels for about 8 years now. Only managed to snap a carbon handlebar so far. I think that video is on my channel lol. I used and still occasionally use the og lonewolf sticks. I used them way back when with a 5 step rock climbing aider. Carry as you go as they call it now. I still use them that way...I just keep them up on one tree though. I still have 3 weeks of hunting left here in MD.

oh yeah, and check out the rappelling. 8mm oplux rope nd an atc, firgure 8 or grigri isnt that heavy and you alway have a way to get down fast and an extra nice rope to pull up your bag.

Great video, really captures the feeling of fiddling with gear trying to be quiet to start climbing. I have same sticks, also 3 of them but I use separate aider for each and have a cam cleat on one of them along with filed off standoffs so I can use it as onestick. I tried two foot loops with open hooks, variable length so it gave me 3 steps when hooked to bottom step, then top step. But the shock cords and everything was too much to get tangled on so haven't used them anymore.

Also almost bought the One-sticks last week, then they sold out and I was bummed about it for a moment. Then came back to senses that the Shikars pack much better if I need to and there's really very little to complain about in them. That rope cleat thing would be quite easy DIY too and I might do it some day. Assembling them in the woods feels dumb, your way of bundling them seems worth trying out. Also rappeling down so I don't have to worry about downclimbability of the system.

Looks like you don't cam the stand at all? Does the truckers hitch really get that tight?

Great video, really captures the feeling of fiddling with gear trying to be quiet to start climbing. I have same sticks, also 3 of them but I use separate aider for each and have a cam cleat on one of them along with filed off standoffs so I can use it as onestick. I tried two foot loops with open hooks, variable length so it gave me 3 steps when hooked to bottom step, then top step. But the shock cords and everything was too much to get tangled on so haven't used them anymore.

Also almost bought the One-sticks last week, then they sold out and I was bummed about it for a moment. Then came back to senses that the Shikars pack much better if I need to and there's really very little to complain about in them. That rope cleat thing would be quite easy DIY too and I might do it some day. Assembling them in the woods feels dumb, your way of bundling them seems worth trying out. Also rappeling down so I don't have to worry about downclimbability of the system.

Looks like you don't cam the stand at all? Does the truckers hitch really get that tight?

Samu, I do cam the stand. Most of the time i can cam it by hand while attaching the USA ultimate line. Sometimes I need to do a little toe hook/cam of the stand. I don't find that part any different though than using the original cam straps. The USA ultimate line has a fiddle factor and probably a little less efficient than the cam straps....but they are super lightweight and make no noise (big deal to me). I like not having to pack or wrap the cam buckles around the stand. I just keep the usa ultimates in the bag on the seat of the stand.

I have a set of original muddy pro stick with the cam cleats. They just stay on a perm location now. But I did like the cam cleats. Honestly, at least for use on the shikars, I love the daisy chain. and button. Again light weight and no noise. I have used just one of the shikars to one stick many times and still like the daisy chain. I guess it works well for me. I feel like out of all the stick attachment methods the daisy chain is super quick and easy. But that might be because the shikars grab the tree really well? Ive never had a kickout with them.

Yeah, you cant beat the shikars if you are packing them. I will keep them deployed if im going to carry them and usually carry them if the walk is under 3/4 of mile. Anything more than that, I will fold them up and put them on my pack. It really doesnt take much to deploy and fold them up...but like you alluded to....it is more fiddle steps when trying to be quiet. That is one reason, I ordered the tethrd's. I thought If i was going to carry the shikars deployed, maybe I should just try the one sticks and save a few pounds.

You should check out the adjustable versa aiders...no hooks just a little amsteel loop. As you can see in the video, they go right over the knob and button on the shikars. Most of the time the pull off automatically while climbing too. I keep the elastic tether tight and they rarely get caught on anything. With my bad knees, I really like how pulling up on the versa aider also helps pull my leg up. I can set my sticks up so each move is just a tad under 8ft. Im using the 20" version of the sticks.

Now that I canceled my order for the tethrds, This thread has me thinking about trying the .75 or even the 1.0 version of the lwcg stand.

It looks like you have some edits. Without cuts how long do you think your process is from tree base to setup with layers? Assuming you layer as soon as you get in your stand no cool down period.

It looks like you have some edits. Without cuts how long do you think your process is from tree base to setup with layers? Assuming you layer as soon as you get in your stand no cool down period.
Seems like a nice set up, albeit a lot of gear. Looks like it would make for great all day sits. I’d have to guess he’s at 30-45 mins from taking pack off to being ready to hunt in the tree.

Back