• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why don't yall 2TC?

@BTaylor how do you go around limbs while one sticking? Do you use a lineman’s and move the tether up and around or simple move the tether up and the limb and keep going?
On public, if a tree has more than one limb to navigate I will throw a biner on the rappel rope until I get to hunting height and then tie in. I use my lineman's all the way up the tree when I am moving my rappel rope up whether I am passing a limb or not. On private, if it is little stuff, I cut it off on the way up. If there is stuff bigger than I want to cut or is going to hurt my cover then I go up like I would on public. My goal is to be competent in most of the ways up the tree, use as minimal gear as possible and have the flexibility to leave the stand if I decide I need too. I prefer to intially go up one sticking because it is the easiest to go as slow as I need to while avoiding getting all sweated up. Maybe if I was more proficient at 2TC that would be less of an issue. But I like the stability of one sticking for when I need to whack a limb or pass one. I dont look at it as a right or wrong deal, more of what option or options give me the most flexibility to make things work.

On public, if a tree has more than one limb to navigate I will throw a biner on the rappel rope until I get to hunting height and then tie in. I use my lineman's all the way up the tree when I am moving my rappel rope up whether I am passing a limb or not. On private, if it is little stuff, I cut it off on the way up. If there is stuff bigger than I want to cut or is going to hurt my cover then I go up like I would on public. My goal is to be competent in most of the ways up the tree, use as minimal gear as possible and have the flexibility to leave the stand if I decide I need too. I prefer to intially go up one sticking because it is the easiest to go as slow as I need to while avoiding getting all sweated up. Maybe if I was more proficient at 2TC that would be less of an issue. But I like the stability of one sticking for when I need to whack a limb or pass one. I dont look at it as a right or wrong deal, more of what option or options give me the most flexibility to make things work.
Yea one sticking is great and I assumed you used a lineman’s to by pass limbs one sticking. I think if people were honest there would be many new guys that say they don’t bother hooking in while going around limbs. I’ve done it myself many times even when I knew I shouldn’t. I’m just using your experience as an example. But yea since the footloop isn’t a platform or step to stand on it is much easier and safer to toss a tether over the limb while hanging from the other tether.

This is stupid simple but if you don’t like alternating (leap frogging) your top and bottom tether to bypass limbs I have found you can easily just clip your bridge into your foot loop tether (on your spare prusik that lives on your foot tether) and then move your top tether above the limb and clip into it. I don’t mind alternating my tethers because they’re identical but I know this can be annoying to some guys whose tethers are not identical, don’t have a movable footloop, or don’t have a footloop on each tether.

While I have many times hunted from a tree stand with no safety harness, climbed sticks for years with no linesman belt, one sticked while leg hooking the tree while moving my tether above a limb and many other stupid things, I have become more cautious as I get older! I’ve always climbed like a squirrel, being raised housing tobacco, also being a carpenter, for years I just never considered falling, young tough and stupid! Today I am just older and tough lol!!! Though I can still climb like I did when I was younger I won’t take chances like I did then, too many things at stake now! There are lots of dangers in life that are out of my control, but climbing safely is one I can control! So for the sake of your loved ones and your overall health just maintain at least one tie in point at all times and minimize slack in your lifeline! Just my thoughts!

I’ve see a lot of people complaining about 2TC because of limbs over the past couple years. Anyone who has any experience with 2TC knows limbs are quite easy and safe to go around, but I’m curious how often all of us actually need to go around a limb? This depends heavily on what type of ecosystem you hunt, but I don’t find myself having to go around limbs very often if at all. I can’t remember the last limb I had to go around in two seasons of hunting using 2TC. I climb to between 18-24ft regularly. How many climbs a year do y’all have to bypass limbs to be in the perfect tree?
I went around one limb this season and maybe one last season and I usually go 22 to 25 feet on average. I am blessed with 9 quadrillion straight trees around here. The one limb I bypassed this season really was only necessary to bypass because it was a limb from another nearby tree that I could have just pushed out of the way had I been able to climb the other side of the tree. I just wanted to be on the back of the tree going up. Should have just used the Silky, lol.

Attachments

• 2tc limb.jpg
    2tc limb.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 46
I went around one limb this season and maybe one last season and I usually go 22 to 25 feet on average. I am blessed with 9 quadrillion straight trees around here. The one limb I bypassed this season really was only necessary to bypass because it was a limb from another nearby tree that I could have just pushed out of the way had I been able to climb the other side of the tree. I just wanted to be on the back of the tree going up. Should have just used the Silky, lol.
Nice! Out of 9 quadrillion trees you pick the one with a limb in the way! Haha!!

Using a delta link on the main tether
I do believe the delta link on the main tether made a big difference at least for me. My second tether was just a figure 8 with a rope man 1 and a foot loop...should have a leg loop instead? Throwing my other leg around the tree as I advance was key for me. I will mainly one stick but want to learn 2tc as I can see some advantages to have that in my jack of trades.

@gcr0003 got this pinned to the top of the Climbing Methods section for quick access. But it’s more comprehensive to read/re-read the 3000+ posts on this thread, lol.

Last edited:
A few more options along the same theme, the stopper is pre-tied, making it easier, a loop with a closeable soft shackle eye would be very nice.
View attachment 97985
That bottom setup is like a "well duh" moment. Tie a loop on the end of the tether and with that setup you could switch to a carabiner and have a spare foot loop if needed in a bind.

Because one stick climbing is superior!!

I'm just answering the question of the thread title. Forgive me, but I couldn't resist any longer.
Please pardon my interruption and continue the rope bondage talk. :tearsofjoy:
My dude...needing a crutch to go the same distance is called a handycap....not superior1000002140.jpg

This 1 stick is realy for some superior sh!+.1000002163.jpgits what all abled body champion athlètes use...one move can get them like 3 feet.without an aider .cuz needing an aid is literaly a handycap.

Last edited:
I'm giving 2TC a try this offseason, in hopes of using it next season. What length of continuous loops are recommended to attach to a thigh strap (on the main tether)?

I'm giving 2TC a try this offseason, in hopes of using it next season. What length of continuous loops are recommended to attach to a thigh strap (on the main tether)?
Use a Longhorn Agile hitch....I say that because its the easiest hitch to take on and off your rope, as well as tends super easy, but catches well. You can use it in soft shackle mode so no carabiner is necessary either!
Its not a continuous loop, but take about 5 to 6' of cord depending on 6mm or 7mm.

Just skip the thigh strap altogether IMHO. One tether to bridge, other tether to foot loop works great, no garter belts required

I second the opinion to forgo the thigh strap. It’s just one more thing to mess with and isn’t necessary. Just make small moves (18”-24”) and you will get a rhythm eventually.

Back