• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Team 4

Well guys, bow season ends here next Saturday.

I was going to quit after I got my buck but the itch is back after I saw some bucks running through a field on my way home from work.

Got another buck tag and I'm gonna hunt a few times before the season ends.

Good choice. Even if you dont need the meat Im sure there is someone that could put it to good use. Then there is the whole we only need a couple does and a half decent buck to win this thing. I'll definitely be putting up another 5 when I get back down to Bama towards the end of the month. Good luck everyone who is still grinding.

Yeah man, keep after them. It's hard to keep motivated this far into the season sometimes but just think it won't be long until the long haul until October begins again. I plan to be out until the end of the month.

Guys, the seasons are all closed here in Ontario. It was a pleasure teaming up with you guys.

If any of you are ever travelling North of the border message me. We can argue about who has better hunting, over a better beer on a better fishing hole.

With 3 young kids, I didn't get out much since my VA trip in November, but managed a few sits lately. I love late season and the cold. Unfortunately, I've been surrounded by spikes and forkies (not legal) almost every sit. The doe group I've been after in my regular spot continue to skirt me out of range. I have their travel patterns and bedding somewhat figured out but the access is tough. The lead doe has been hard to fool and the others follow her lead. I've been within 45 yards on several occasions but she'll get skittish, circle downwind and bust me.

Took the flintlock (PA long rifle) out this weekend and it was a lot to handle in a saddle lol. I don't have a sling so had trouble getting it up the tree at first, then I almost dropped it several times. Then it started snowing so hard keeping the pan charge dry was near impossible. Finally gave it up and went back to the car and grabbed the bow. Ended up getting 8 inches all told as I went still hunting through a new area, snuck within 30 yards of yet another spike (facepalm)

I am going to push out a few hedgerows (1-man drives) tomorrow with a friend. It's a pretty suburban area but holds some deer in little pockets. Will likely be my last hunt. It's been fun watching team 4 climb the leader board--- good work fellas! If anyone has more season, keep after it, it went way too quick to me.

Guys, the seasons are all closed here in Ontario. It was a pleasure teaming up with you guys.

If any of you are ever travelling North of the border message me. We can argue about who has better hunting, over a better beer on a better fishing hole.
Been a pleasure. I think some of us still have some season left so who knows.

With 3 young kids, I didn't get out much since my VA trip in November, but managed a few sits lately. I love late season and the cold. Unfortunately, I've been surrounded by spikes and forkies (not legal) almost every sit. The doe group I've been after in my regular spot continue to skirt me out of range. I have their travel patterns and bedding somewhat figured out but the access is tough. The lead doe has been hard to fool and the others follow her lead. I've been within 45 yards on several occasions but she'll get skittish, circle downwind and bust me.

Took the flintlock (PA long rifle) out this weekend and it was a lot to handle in a saddle lol. I don't have a sling so had trouble getting it up the tree at first, then I almost dropped it several times. Then it started snowing so hard keeping the pan charge dry was near impossible. Finally gave it up and went back to the car and grabbed the bow. Ended up getting 8 inches all told as I went still hunting through a new area, snuck within 30 yards of yet another spike (facepalm)

I am going to push out a few hedgerows (1-man drives) tomorrow with a friend. It's a pretty suburban area but holds some deer in little pockets. Will likely be my last hunt. It's been fun watching team 4 climb the leader board--- good work fellas! If anyone has more season, keep after it, it went way too quick to me.
I've been thinking about a flintlock lately. Got off into the rabbit hole of looking at Kibler Southern Mountain rifle kits. I got off on that from watching Everything Black Powder channel on Youtube. Man, I don't need more hobbies/obsessions, lol.

I've been thinking about a flintlock lately. Got off into the rabbit hole of looking at Kibler Southern Mountain rifle kits. I got off on that from watching Everything Black Powder channel on Youtube. Man, I don't need more hobbies/obsessions, lol.
yeah I've looked at them too and someday it'd be fun to build one. But I was gifted a .50 from an elderly neighbor who is shut in, and I have another in .45 I got cheap at an auction. It's new to me but a pretty quick learn. I recently worked up a load for both and they are fun and shoot well. I felt like Natty Bumppo out there lol. I can see how people get full into it with buckskins and whatnot. It's just another detour off the hunting highway. Gotta experience them all, come on!

Well pushed out them hedgerows after work with a friend and had about a dozen at 20 yards at a pinch point behind some big warehouses. Wind was blowing crazy and they knew something was up but kept coming to get away from my buddy. I stopped the first bigger doe and sent one. She took a ride home in the Corolla. This season was a grind. Didn’t get out or see as much as I hoped, but ended on a high note. Good luck to anyone with time left!

Well pushed out them hedgerows after work with a friend and had about a dozen at 20 yards at a pinch point behind some big warehouses. Wind was blowing crazy and they knew something was up but kept coming to get away from my buddy. I stopped the first bigger doe and sent one. She took a ride home in the Corolla. This season was a grind. Didn’t get out or see as much as I hoped, but ended on a high note. Good luck to anyone with time left!
Congratulations on the doe. Some seasons are just "grindier" than others. I've had my share. I've learned you just have to keep going and change up tactics or locations if necessary. I have time left and have been pushing pretty hard toward the end. I can't add to the contest, but I really want to get one with my stick bow before the end of the month. To everyone who is still at it, good luck.

Well being out of buck tags and a full freezer...means I won't be going out in Temps like this. Season closes tomorrow and traditionally I hunt the last weekend or last day. Not this year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240114_075601_Weather.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114_075601_Weather.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 6
Well being out of buck tags and a full freezer...means I won't be going out in Temps like this. Season closes tomorrow and traditionally I hunt the last weekend or last day. Not this year.
Yeah, I'd be doing an all-day sit on the couch in -15, lol.

Hey team,

My season is over. It was quite an up and down season but overall I'm thankful for the opportunity to hunt and I'm looking forward to next year.

Good hunting with you guys.

Yes, a great effort! Who if anyone here still has some season left and can add to the heap? No pressure, just curious. I plan to be out some more once the glacier recedes. It's been a fun season.

Im also interested to know who else is still getting after it. I'll be adding a doe (hopefully) when I head back to Bama in a week or so. Always a chance I could shoot something more than an 8 point and upgrade but pretty unlikely. Hopefully another 5 helps us hold third but somebody is going to really have to come through with a nice buck or two to take this thing.

Yes, maybe I can upgrade one of my bucks. That would be great but not likely at this point. I probably won't get out until the weekend at best. No pressure on anyone but it would be cool to drop a moose and win this thing, lol.

Back