• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How many sticks?

gun hunting it’s one stick high as I need but archery this year I’m going to try 2 sticks with a 3 step moveable aider, should get my hang on to 15-16ft easily but I’m fairly tall. If I’m saddle hunting it’s one sticking!

Four sticks with a three step continuous loop aider on the bottom step to start me at about 7 ft or so. I’m probably at 18-20’ most climbs. I’m not very tall but I stretch myself out typically between sticks then I place my platform at about 8-12” above the top of my last stick.

3 or 4. I use a knaider if I need extra length on the sticks rather than individual or moveable aider. The hook on the knaider fits over the beast stick steps pretty well without much noise.

This season I mostly used four of the two step Hawk Helium steps, with a three step aider on the bottom stick. It was getting me to 15 feet without too much trouble, sometimes a little higher. In theory, I could have gotten higher, but sticks don't always fit right on the tree exactly where they need to be to maximize step spacing.

I did use two of the two-step sticks in combo with two three step sticks a few times. But I found that a little clunky to carry.

3 Latitude Sticks, bottom one has a 2 step aider, middle one has a single step aider, and the top one is just the stick.

I like having my platform in line with the top of my last stick. Helps me move around the tree better.
this took me almost two full seasons in the saddle to figure out. I would adjust everything in my setup to try and mediate some level of “mis”comfort that I couldn’t quite put my finger on; one day I put my top step dead-level with the platform (I had generally been putting my platform under or level with the second of three steps) out of necessity due to some irregularities in the bark, and when I got up and started swinging the lightbulb went off that this was the streamline I had been working towards all along.

this took me almost two full seasons in the saddle to figure out. I would adjust everything in my setup to try and mediate some level of “mis”comfort that I couldn’t quite put my finger on; one day I put my top step dead-level with the platform (I had generally been putting my platform under or level with the second of three steps) out of necessity due to some irregularities in the bark, and when I got up and started swinging the lightbulb went off that this was the streamline I had been working towards all along.
I'm not sure where I got the idea. I think I saw it on YouTube or something, but I love it. I have a Pursuit platform so it isn't very big. Putting the last stick level with it really opened up a lot more of my weak side shots for me.

When I climb with sticks, i will usually carry 3 sticks with me and a 2 step CAYG aider. This is will get me around 18 feet to the platform. Every once in a while, if I know I need to be a little bit higher I'll carry a fourth stick.

If I had to guess, I would say it's a carryover from how we were told to set a hang-on when using sticks.

For 'safety' reasons, they wanted us to set the hang-on a full step BELOW the top stick so you would be stepping DOWN onto the stand.
I never did it that way. I always placed my stand level or a few inches above the top stick because I always moved my tether up as high as it would go before stepping over to the stand. And I always used two ratchet straps on my Alpha Assault. It wasn't going anywhere.

If I had to guess, I would say it's a carryover from how we were told to set a hang-on when using sticks.

For 'safety' reasons, they wanted us to set the hang-on a full step BELOW the top stick so you would be stepping DOWN onto the stand.
I never did it that way. I always placed my stand level or a few inches above the top stick because I always moved my tether up as high as it would go before stepping over to the stand. And I always used two ratchet straps on my Alpha Assault. It wasn't going anywhere.
Yeah I think you’re probably 100% on that. I remember my HSS and Lone Wolf gear coming with DVDs for safe setup, I think that’s where that was drilled into me because I’m one of those weirdos who watches/reads instructions.

I run 4 Skeletors, with a 3 step aider on my first stick, which gets my first stick to around 7 feet. I never measured how high I can go but id say 15-20 depending on how I space my sticks and if I set my platform level with my top stick or above it.

Yeah I think you’re probably 100% on that. I remember my HSS and Lone Wolf gear coming with DVDs for safe setup, I think that’s where that was drilled into me because I’m one of those weirdos who watches/reads instructions.
I read and watched them too. The first ones were on VHS...

I also lean toward instructions and 'professionals' doing and saying things that cater to the lowest common denominator.

Might have found the perfect solution in 3-step mobile aider. Tried it yesterday and it was probably my fastest and easiest setup despite 20" of snow and more falling from the sky. Didn't even need the aider on last stick. Much easier to deal with the sticks without the aiders swinging around. on the bottom step

Might have found the perfect solution in 3-step mobile aider. Tried it yesterday and it was probably my fastest and easiest setup despite 20" of snow and more falling from the sky. Didn't even need the aider on last stick. Much easier to deal with the sticks without the aiders swinging around. on the bottom step
What you got?

I started (and still at times use) a set of 4x 30" heliums. I planned that would be my way up into trees when I started saddle hunting. I added two single step aiders to the bottom two shortly after. This year I added a 2-step aider to the (now) bottom one before the season. I was trying to minimize sticks at that point and only carry 2 or 3 instead of 4. In some trees I can do two sticks with the 2-step aider and a 1-step aider. That will get me around 12-13' or so which is plenty in the right tree. We don't have many of the 'right trees' though. With all 4 sticks including all 4 steps of aiders I can hit about 23-24' on a relatively easy tree. But if I'm going up into one of those trees I just 2TC anymore and don't carry the sticks. I set up the stick with the double aider with a cam cleat and I can one-stick with it. I haven't gotten good enough with that though to make it my first choice. Maybe next year. For me, 2TC and 1-stick overlap the same trees and I'm more comfortable with a 1-stick.

For next season I'll keep the 3 top sticks for a preset and leave them in the tree. I'll take the bottom stick with me when I leave. No way anyone's going be able to take them unless they have a climbing method of their own. If I get better with and end up preferring 1-sticking, then I might cut down the one I have to make it a shorty helium and go from there. TBD.

Back