• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lightweight Climbing Sticks Selection Confusion

yoda4x4

I'm at the point where I want to get a set of lightweight sticks to be paired up with my Beast Gear stand. As of today I'm really struggling with figuring out what to go with. Trophyline, Beast Gear, Latitude, and Tree Styx... What to do? Each one has their pros and cons.

Beast Sticks
Pros - designed to be used with my stand, typical type of stick, most durable, most proven company
Cons - heaviest of the 4

Tree Styx
Pros - ultra lightweight, aider is incorporated, sticks lock together and make setting sticks easy
Cons - company completely unknown, design unknown with very little information about it, expensive compared to the others

Latitude
Pros - ultra lightweight, connection to tree best among all 4
Cons - durability concerns, limited foot space, no hand grab on top of stick like traditional stick

Trophyline Hyperlite
Pros - ultra lightweight
Cons - connection to tree unknown, could be the loudest when stacking/unstacking sticks, unknown material

So which one do you suggest?

David

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

I am in the same situation. Sure would like to save some weight.
Another con for Trophy Line, 3.4" standoff distance.
Then you have Cat Trax and maybe a stick by Cruzr.
Other considerations, do you want to use aiders, what kind?
What step distance do you want?

I am in the same situation. Sure would like to save some weight.
Another con for Trophy Line, 3.4" standoff distance.
Then you have Cat Trax and maybe a stick by Cruzr.
Other considerations, do you want to use aiders, what kind?
What step distance do you want?

Aiders - yes... Probably make a set of 1/8" amsteel. As for step distance, 17" or 18". I'm 5'7" so any longer than that and I don't think it'll work.

David

Shikar and Shikar FXD. Tethed Ones

I like Shikar FXD’s. They stack inline, fairly low profile, 9” step width, extremely aggressive standoff design. There are lighter sticks out there but OOAL makes well rounded offering.

The step design allows to hook an aider to the end of the step if you like easily removable type.

Normal Shikar packs flat, which is nice, but requires assembling and they don’t really stack when assembled. The standoffs rotate easily while setting the stick so the step has little play.

If I was starting over it would be between Shikar FXD 17” and Beast. I was interested about Ones until I heard the material is so thin you can’t hook the step without bending something.

I hd latitudes this year and they were super light, attachment method was slick as well but couldn’t deal with short stand offs/lack of foot space, I got some EWOs

Stir up a meet up. Pick a spot with date and invite some fellow SHs to hang out and try gear. It's a good time and worth it.

I’ve owned the beast sticks and would buy them again in a second. I gave them up to try the latitude sticks and honestly I like them a lot. The attachment method is very handy. Foot room seems slightly less than the beast sticks but not really an issue for me (size 11 shoe, 11/12 boot). Have not had a single issue with durability or anything breaking. Love the lighter weight and stackability. They’re not cold to touch in freezing temps.

The thing I miss most about the Beast sticks are the standoffs and how well they bite the tree. If something ends up happening with my latitude sticks or something breaks, I will likely go right back to the Beast sticks and not look back. My $0.02.

I'm at the point where I want to get a set of lightweight sticks to be paired up with my Beast Gear stand. As of today I'm really struggling with figuring out what to go with. Trophyline, Beast Gear, Latitude, and Tree Styx... What to do? Each one has their pros and cons.

Beast Sticks
Pros - designed to be used with my stand, typical type of stick, most durable, most proven company
Cons - heaviest of the 4

Tree Styx
Pros - ultra lightweight, aider is incorporated, sticks lock together and make setting sticks easy
Cons - company completely unknown, design unknown with very little information about it, expensive compared to the others

Latitude
Pros - ultra lightweight, connection to tree best among all 4
Cons - durability concerns, limited foot space, no hand grab on top of stick like traditional stick

Trophyline Hyperlite
Pros - ultra lightweight
Cons - connection to tree unknown, could be the loudest when stacking/unstacking sticks, unknown material

So which one do you suggest?

David

There's always the no stick option....2TC or DIE! ;)@tailgunner

Some advice from a former gear who Are.

Always see if you can try something before you buy it. We all know the saying about opinions and balloon knots.

If its not out yet, or you plan to be the first beat testing buyer, let down is likely.

Stick preference and aider use vary.

My take is different, and it isnt from a a lack of ownership and trying. I like the LWCG compacts alot. I like aiders early season, not so much later. I liked shikars. I havent tried the latitudes yet and for a reason....they need more time and vetting to get passed the durability whoas if theyre founded. Tetherd sticks are great, reputation had me buy and sell two versions. I likeds the Beast sticks a bunch but they didnt pack great with my stand unless i bought some 3d printed stuff.

Anyway....best take; Try before you buy, stay off the forums and know ATA is like a bit like a campaign speech.

Heavier sticks will feel lighter packed closer to one’s back. Once a stand is in play, I personally go for the flat packing sticks as they reduce bulk and carry better, imo.
The leaning tower of six One-sticks comes to mind. Collapsing sticks pack nice but boy do I hate fiddling them open and closed every time.

The leaning tower of six One-sticks comes to mind. Collapsing sticks pack nice but boy do I hate fiddling them open and closed every time.
The Shikars are a little cumbersome. I have the 14" Shikars.
The LWCG single step sticks are easy. They have 4 7/8" stand off fistance. But the 17" sticks with a daisy weigh 1lb 13oz.

This is the reason why I don't have much interest in the Shikar's.

David

Shikar FXD’s exist though.
They're pretty much the same as the Beast Gear Sticks but more expensive. And they're not specifically designed for the Beast Gear stand.

David

Back