• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best, quietest,rain gear , that won’t break the bank?

What size did you get? That doesn’t look as short as the pics on the website made it look. How noisy is it?

Mines not getting here until Tuesday.
I went with XL and it’s fairly noisy. Feels more plasticky than my other jacket.

It’s safe to say you have a problem and I’m well on my way to one :sweatsmile:
Different purposes and places... Packable set lives in my truck, daily wear, hurricane grade, packable hunting, hunting (normal early-season reg size), hunting (normal late-season over-sized), and hunting hurricane grade... LMAO!!!

I went with XL and it’s fairly noisy. Feels more plasticky than my other jacket.

Mine showed up today. It’s a little more noisy than I was hoping but overall I’m happy with it. It should be a great hiking/backpacking/everyday rain coat and will serve as a backup when the quieter hunting rain coat soaks through.

Also, for anyone on the fence, I got an email that they dropped the price on their winter clearance items so now you can get the coat for $104 with the 15% sign-up discount.

It should be a great hiking/backpacking/everyday rain coat and will serve as a backup when the quieter hunting rain coat soaks through.
I am trying to under stand this! Serves as a backup because your best rain gear is useless?
This is why I am done with over priced rain gear that does not breath and does not keep you dry.

I am trying to under stand this! Serves as a backup because your best rain gear is useless?
This is why I am done with over priced rain gear that does not breath and does not keep you dry.

No, serve as a backup because the quieter rain gear I bought on the classifieds here 4 or 5 years ago for $50 eventually soaks through. It does fine on the walk in on the rare occasion I whitetail hunt in the rain but, hunting two straight days in steady rain in CO this fall required a trip into town for a clothes dryer.

On the rare occasion I deer hunt in the rain I use a tree umbrella. Do you know of a better solution to stay dry other than rain gear? Serious question. I’m open to other solutions.

My point is nothing is going to keep you 100% dry. I have had 4 different expensive rain suites. Gortex is the big lie. Nothing that is 100% water proof will breath.
The poncho in post 55 and a tree umbrella is what I use. Am I 100% dry, no but I am as dry as I am going to get and I save a bunch of money.

Mine showed up today. It’s a little more noisy than I was hoping but overall I’m happy with it. It should be a great hiking/backpacking/everyday rain coat and will serve as a backup when the quieter hunting rain coat soaks through.

Also, for anyone on the fence, I got an email that they dropped the price on their winter clearance items so now you can get the coat for $104 with the 15% sign-up discount.
Which one did you get?

Wet-out is real, people! There are ways to layer with your rain gear to help prevent this, that, and one specific piece of rain gear is not necessarily optimal for all conditions...

Rain gear sucks, just buy extra clothes and rotate. Keep a heavy trash bag for getting caught in a monsoon.

Just ordered this jacket.

From the pics and reviews it seems like it might be a little shorter than I like but it’s a gore Tex rain jacket with pit zips for $130 after a 15%off coupon. Plus they have free shipping and returns so I figure it’s worth looking at.
I got this exact one. had it for about 4 years now.

It's good when you sit under rain without touching anything, however when have to move through the woods brushing on wet leaves and sweating- might as well not wear it at all(soaks through super quickly). Pit zips help a little with ventilation, but you till sweat quite a bit.
Additionally, would recommend getting a dwr coating spray and re-apply it regularly after first few months of use

I went in on the river’s west pioneer, came in mail Thursday, luckily we had some rain that day so threw it on. Was pleasantly surprised with it. Tapered fit, not too loud.

Back