• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lightweight Climbing Sticks Selection Confusion

Are the steps solid on the fixed or do they have a little wobble?
They develop like 1mm of movement in use. But I’m also 250lb
Folding Shikars have lot more but still no worries of anything coming loose.

They're pretty much the same as the Beast Gear Sticks but more expensive. And they're not specifically designed for the Beast Gear stand.

David

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk
They stack lower than Beasts. Is there some stick integration in Beast stand? I’m not buying inferior sticks for color coordination, hence I use the Shikars with the LWCG stand. Beast stick price dropped fairly recently though. Hope others feel the pressure to follow.

They stack lower than Beasts. Is there some stick integration in Beast stand? I’m not buying inferior sticks for color coordination, hence I use the Shikars with the LWCG stand. Beast stick price dropped fairly recently though. Hope others feel the pressure to follow.
Oh I don't care about color coordination. There is a threaded rod that can be used to connect the Beast sticks to the stand though which is a nice feature.

David

Carries them like this, which I think increases felt weight.

C1BDDE36-4079-4D38-89CF-23E94CC13AA4.jpeg

That's funny because of the 4 I listed, the Hyperlite's are the least desirable to me.

David

Care to explain why? Just curious, climbing methods are all pretty personal.

I have the Lattitude stick and hasn’t left the yard. Sound against the tree is the worst I’ve heard, and I think I’d feel safer just making my own plastic stick. Also don’t like that its connection to tree is simply surface friction(from a material known for its low friction). No marring the tree surface, since it doesn’t bite, could be important to some. Size and weight are nice.

No interest in tree Styx, just don’t care for a stick that takes that many parts and pieces to make.

Haven’t tried the Beast sticks, but personally that’s probably the only other I’d consider, they’re just not very light, and make a pretty tall stack.

Care to explain why? Just curious, climbing methods are all pretty personal.

I have the Lattitude stick and hasn’t left the yard. Sound against the tree is the worst I’ve heard, and I think I’d feel safer just making my own plastic stick. Also don’t like that its connection to tree is simply surface friction(from a material known for its low friction). No marring the tree surface, since it doesn’t bite, could be important to some. Size and weight are nice.

No interest in tree Styx, just don’t care for a stick that takes that many parts and pieces to make.

Haven’t tried the Beast sticks, but personally that’s probably the only other I’d consider, they’re just not very light, and make a pretty tall stack.
I don't like the way the sticks stack in that the stand offs slide thru the rings of the stick below it. I can just imagine them making a heck of a racket as you're assembling and disassembling the stack

David

I also carry beast sticks that use the rod to attach them to the stand. The ease of packing far outweighs the weight being further out.

I don't like the way the sticks stack in that the stand offs slide thru the rings of the stick below it. I can just imagine them making a heck of a racket as you're assembling and disassembling the stack

David

Fair enough, I noticed the same, was imagining the best places to silence them

I'm at the point where I want to get a set of lightweight sticks to be paired up with my Beast Gear stand. As of today I'm really struggling with figuring out what to go with. Trophyline, Beast Gear, Latitude, and Tree Styx... What to do? Each one has their pros and cons.

Beast Sticks
Pros - designed to be used with my stand, typical type of stick, most durable, most proven company
Cons - heaviest of the 4

Tree Styx
Pros - ultra lightweight, aider is incorporated, sticks lock together and make setting sticks easy
Cons - company completely unknown, design unknown with very little information about it, expensive compared to the others

Latitude
Pros - ultra lightweight, connection to tree best among all 4
Cons - durability concerns, limited foot space, no hand grab on top of stick like traditional stick

Trophyline Hyperlite
Pros - ultra lightweight
Cons - connection to tree unknown, could be the loudest when stacking/unstacking sticks, unknown material

So which one do you suggest?

David

Ok....let's talk "real world" for a moment. I own a set of four of both the Lattitude SS carbons and the 20" Beast Gear sticks. I just went down and weighed them as they would go out in the woods....no fudging on sticks only vs cam straps and that kind of balogna.

The Lattitudes come with Amsteel attachement cord, a Voile strap to hold them as a unit, plus I added a cord at the top of each to connect to the hook on my saddle, along with Stealth Strips....they weigh 5.6#.

The Beast Gear sticks with DIY Amsteel daisy chain attachment cords, a similar Voile strap, same top cord and Stealth Strips....6.6#

Some would argue in saddle hunting, a pound is considerable.....I feel it depends on what that pound happens to be related to. Ditch something like a Ropeman/Kong for a hitch to save a pound.....maybe worth investigating. A pound difference in a really good dependable platform or sticks vs something else....well not so much....at least for me. My BWMG EDP pack setup, with platform, RF, Beast Sticks and a few necessities is a bit over 13#. Can I teel a difference between that and my Alps backpack that adds 3 more pounds.....yup. Can I tell a difference when the Beast sticks are loaded vs the Latitude SS a pound lighter.....not really.

On my scale bare 20” beast 1lb 8oz (no attachment) bare latitude stick 1lb 4oz (no attachment)

The latitude stick does not come with Amsteel. Its a stiffer chineema material.

On my scale bare 20” beast 1lb 8oz (no attachment) bare latitude stick 1lb 4oz (no attachment)

Does either of your sticks have stealth strips on it?

David

I am in the same situation. Sure would like to save some weight.
Another con for Trophy Line, 3.4" standoff distance.
Then you have Cat Trax and maybe a stick by Cruzr.
Other considerations, do you want to use aiders, what kind?
What step distance do you want?

The only stick mentioned with significantly more standoff distance than the Hyperlite sticks is the Tree Styx, which boast 4.25”.

Beast Sticks and Latitude sticks are only 3 & 5/8”

The only stick mentioned with significantly more standoff distance than the Hyperlite sticks is the Tree Styx, which boast 4.25”.

Beast Sticks and Latitude sticks are only 3 & 5/8”
Yes I know, I am cursed with big feet. Gotta love those LWCG single step sticks.

Thanks. Sounds like the beast gear sticks tend to run .2 lbs lower than their specified weight. That's pretty good.

David

About 2oz less. But less is better than more.

C0B096DB-6CCE-4A9D-B346-D9B129D5A7DA.png

The Latitude website lists the attachment cord as "Amsteel" for the Carbon SS sticks. They also sell "Amsteel" aiders and daisy chains.....so I'm not sure why that would be in question??? I didn't know it at the time of ordering, but Latitude is located about 10 miles from my home in west Michigan, so I am going to go with the integrity of their website and operation over conjecture until convincingly proven.

"The all-new Carbon SS Climbing Sticks feature a proprietary carbon fiber composite material, bringing modern aerospace technology into the woods for the first time. The single piece construction combines flush, low-profile stacking, no moving parts, and a patent pending Amsteel rope attachment method to produce a durable and fast stick that locks onto the tree with ease"

The reason I weighed mine "as is" or woods ready is that I will be using them with Stealth Strips installd and my hand crafted 1/8" Amsteel blue daisy chains instead of the stock cam straps on the Beast Gear sticks. Both sets connected with a Voile strap, they way they go on my pack along with lightweight cordage to hang them on my saddle. My AWS scale shows a 1# difference........take it or leave it I guess.

The Latitude website lists the attachment cord as "Amsteel" for the Carbon SS sticks. They also sell "Amsteel" aiders and daisy chains.....so I'm not sure why that would be in question??? I didn't know it at the time of ordering, but Latitude is located about 10 miles from my home in west Michigan, so I am going to go with the integrity of their website and operation over conjecture until convincingly proven.

"The all-new Carbon SS Climbing Sticks feature a proprietary carbon fiber composite material, bringing modern aerospace technology into the woods for the first time. The single piece construction combines flush, low-profile stacking, no moving parts, and a patent pending Amsteel rope attachment method to produce a durable and fast stick that locks onto the tree with ease"

The reason I weighed mine "as is" or woods ready is that I will be using them with Stealth Strips installd and my hand crafted 1/8" Amsteel blue daisy chains instead of the stock cam straps on the Beast Gear sticks. Both sets connected with a Voile strap, they way they go on my pack along with lightweight cordage to hang them on my saddle. My AWS scale shows a 1# difference........take it or leave it I guess.

I promise you latitude is not using amsteel. They are lying to you.

This is amsteel from RDA outdoors:

IMG_5955.pngIMG_5956.png

This is the hard stiff plastic trash latitude gives you:

IMG_5957.pngIMG_5958.pngIMG_5959.png

You aren’t doing that with genuine amsteel.

Back