• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cat Trax climbing sticks

I wouldn’t want to use a one step carry as you go aider (my go to, sticks are not efficient enough for me without an aider) with single steps.

I’d have to set up top stick with both feet on the lower and then have to step up with one leg and hit my loop. No thanks.

Last edited:
I’m not attacking anyone here but, Everyone says that they get 3rd party tested, but no one shows the reports or the videos of them being tested.. and I don’t see where the site says TMA approved….. what 3rd party and standard were they tested to because the weight rating says 275lbs…. I always want to ask guys that

You can pass weight testing with flying colors and have big problems down the road. All these CF builds should be talking about galvanic corrosion inhibition, reinforcement of holes in planer surfaces, UV inhibitors.

You can pass weight testing with flying colors and have big problems down the road. All these CF builds should be talking about galvanic corrosion inhibition, reinforcement of holes in planer surfaces, UV inhibitors.
Oh believe me I completely agree. It was like that for nearly a decade in the maritime industry when people were glassing over foam and switching to epoxy. UV inhibitors or dark pigmenting to block it out. And of course that’s why there are metal sleeves and giant washers through the bolt holes in transoms. People have unrealistic expectations of some of these “mechanical engineers” as well. What is their actual real world engineering experience. Did they take night classes on line or was it a real tech school and show up to class? There are vast differences between “looks good on paper” and real world applications. I’m not saying engineers aren’t good. I’m saying I’ve seen first hand many times where real world technicians “fix” engineer errors.

Last edited:
Oh believe me I completely agree. It was like that for nearly a decade in the maritime industry when people were glassing over foam and switching to epoxy. UV inhibitors or dark pigmenting to block it out. And of course that’s why there are metal sleeves and giant washers through the bolt holes in transoms. People have unrealistic expectations of some of these “mechanical engineers” as well. What is there actual real world engineering experience. Did they take night classes on line or was it a real tech school and show up to class? There are vast differences between “looks good on paper” and real world applications. I’m not saying engineers aren’t good. I’m saying I’ve seen first hand many times where real world technicians “fix” engineer errors.

A lot of these saddle/treestand companies don’t have engineers. It’s get an idea on the toilet taking their morning crap at 10 am, have it drawn up on a napkin by lunch time, cut/weld the first prototype by 2, throw some weight on it to see if it breaks, open up preorders by 3.

Oh believe me I completely agree. It was like that for nearly a decade in the maritime industry when people were glassing over foam and switching to epoxy. UV inhibitors or dark pigmenting to block it out. And of course that’s why there are metal sleeves and giant washers through the bolt holes in transoms. People have unrealistic expectations of some of these “mechanical engineers” as well. What is their actual real world engineering experience. Did they take night classes on line or was it a real tech school and show up to class? There are vast differences between “looks good on paper” and real world applications. I’m not saying engineers aren’t good. I’m saying I’ve seen first hand many times where real world technicians “fix” engineer errors.
Most Engineers are a joke so I agree a degree is not a prerequisite to a solid stick/platform design. That said, if you had a decent engineer with balanced experience in fabrication and structural design I think you could really refine some designs.

For this type of application I.e. slim to no requirements, you could design, test, break, repeat yourself into a solid design without ever breaking out a pen and paper. I suspect this is what most companies do anyway and rightfully so. Further analysis of failure modes, fatigue etc. is not cost prohibitive in most cases for these applications.

Man that video showed how thin and small those stand offs really are. I never heard him address if the versa button and the stand off/step area were reinforced internally either.
Otherwise it’s really cool because it will be super pack able and light weight
I just sent him a e mail asking about tube reinforcement.

Man that video showed how thin and small those stand offs really are. I never heard him address if the versa button and the stand off/step area were reinforced internally either.
Otherwise it’s really cool because it will be super pack able and light weight
What did you think about the 3rd party testing?

What did you think about the 3rd party testing?
For me myself I don’t worry about 3rd party testing as much as others do on platforms and climbing sticks. because I always climb with my tether attached and some times 2 of them, so if something broke I would be fine, because I would only fall a foot or so before my tether would catch me. But on ropes I would want that tested because that’s my lifeline, for me if a company proves the equipment can hold the amount of weight it’s rated for that’s good enough for me.

I never felt compelled to have double steps as I always leaned toward packability so I like the attempt to revamp this design in a lighter version. Only time will tell if this Lonewolf carbon fiber stick will hold up to the abuse like the original sticks did.

For the price I think I’d grab the heavier Novix sticks and switch to a lighter attachment method. I’m not the target audience for this since I’m not one to pay top dollar to save a couple ounces, but best of luck to him regardless!

I am somewhat surprised lone wolf and/or Novix hasn’t sued him yet. Surely one of them has the patent to the rotate step design?

Last edited:
The report showed it held a load of 550 lbs. I am OK with that, as long as I stay away from the Little Debbie's.
That’s only for a couple minutes. To pass the test it has to hold double the weight rating for like 2 or 3 minutes I believe it is.

I never felt compelled to have double steps as I always leaned toward packability so I like the attempt to revamp this design in a lighter version. Only time will tell if this Lonewolf carbon fiber stick will hold up to the abuse like the original sticks did.

For the price I think I’d grab the heavier Novix sticks and switch to a lighter attachment method. I’m not the target audience for this since I’m not one to pay top dollar to save a couple ounces, but best of luck to him regardless!

I am somewhat surprised lone wolf and/or Novix hasn’t sued him yet. Surely one of them has the patent to the rotate step design?
I was thinking that. He’s too new for them to notice yet but once he hits their radar….

Back