• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My challenge to you

I challenge you to not buy a new piece of gear this season. More likely than not you have equipment that is better than you had even 5 years ago and more than good enough to help you kill whitetails.

In place of new gear purchases I propose you spend an extra XX number of days in the woods this post season scouting. This will bring you more success next fall than your next purchase.

*Replacement items like arrows, broadheads, strings, new boots for the ones that leak are permitted, etc.

Best of luck!
Etc....the most dangerous exception.

OK, I did buy a used bow to replace my damaged bow. I may buy a Sladder through the classifieds to try out, otherwise I have no need for new gear . As far as scouting goes, work has prevented a lot of that the last few years (working 70-75 hrs/ week), next year things at work should slow down enough to allow much more scouting.

I saw their video on FB explaining why the V1 flexed as well as offered to replace all V1 platforms in the field. I thought that with a 2TC setup would be a great lightweight setup. Especially for how I hunt.
It’s a nice platform for a small easy foot rest.

Don’t count out the platform ROS from Bullman outdoors either though. They are light, stable and extremely comfortable with the angled step and wide surface

I challenge you to not buy a new piece of gear this season. More likely than not you have equipment that is better than you had even 5 years ago and more than good enough to help you kill whitetails.

In place of new gear purchases I propose you spend an extra XX number of days in the woods this post season scouting. This will bring you more success next fall than your next purchase.

*Replacement items like arrows, broadheads, strings, new boots for the ones that leak are permitted, etc.

Best of luck!

Challenge accepted

Us sitting around on the forum talking about new gear.
Thought of the same thing when I saw this thread. In this regard I am not, and do not intend to be, master of my domain.

The packages of public land venison in my freezer have no idea that I never scouted their final resting place. And I look forward to playing with a new Sladder, a JX3 headrest & bino pack this year...and who knows what else will tempt my clicking finger in '24.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I’ve thought a lot about this topic as too much gear and forum time for me just drives up my hours and / or dollars spent on venison.
I’m a happily married dad of two with a corporate job and other hobbies.
There is a connection for me with success & going into the woods with a quiet confidence with little changes in gear.
I’ve actually read between the lines of many of red squirrels’ posts; and envy his late morning starts with his same gear set up

I try to keep a list of maintenance items, broadheads , arrows , gaiters that wore out , clothing I am a bit of hypocrite with “ upgrades “ but I am fully aware I can get by without any purchases and I make myself get blood on larger items or really put it through its paces scouting and hunting.

Also, need to list some things on the classifieds

Here’s some interesting commentary on equipment.
His bike reminds me of the fishing kayak I obsessed over and spent a $1K on and it’s basically made a nice decorative piece in the garage. I plan to actually use it come Spring. That or sell it.

Last edited:
So, what if what the piece of gear I buy is significantly less expensive than what it's replacing, and ends up being way less stuff to actually have in my possession? Is that OK?

Like buying a few yards of webbing to create a foot loop to 2TC, and ditching all the sticks I've been using? I already have the saddle and tethers. And I'll be able to get higher, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

So l walked away from GAOS passing the challenge. I purchased ropes, aiders, strings, etc. All things to replace what l already have. I was tempted to go get high end sticks or even a lwcg stand. But the more l got to hold them in my hand and the more l got to test them. I understand @redsquirrel idea. Each time l held a new 1 pound stick, my mind would pictures my cut down Hawk Mini. Which l haven't used since I started one sticking. I couldn't bring myself to purchase them. So I think l can pass this challenge. With the exception of traditional bows. I have 5 bows that l can hunt with. But l honestly dont see myself stopping purchasing of more if I'm able to. Hypothetically, if right now, l have to choice either archery or hunting only. I'll pick archery without hesitation. But that's me.

Anyway, realistically. Stopping of gear buying will not increase my time in the woods. With 6 young kids. I have my priority.

Montana. I will put it up for sale as soon as the new one comes in. It'll sell easy. You can't hardly find a used one. 18' Smokercraft w/ a 90/65 Yamaha.

Meh. To me there's a difference between buying things because I think it's a replacement for boots on the ground/scouting/real world experience and buying things because it's part of the hobby to tinker and experiment with new and different gear to see what I like and/or if I want to have nice things. Granted, I've been guilty of the first, but I see no problem with/need to justify the second, to each their own.

So, what if what the piece of gear I buy is significantly less expensive than what it's replacing, and ends up being way less stuff to actually have in my possession? Is that OK?

Like buying a few yards of webbing to create a foot loop to 2TC, and ditching all the sticks I've been using? I already have the saddle and tethers. And I'll be able to get higher, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

Any way is “OK”.

I personally find this challenge appealing simply because it incentivizes me to focus my attention on skill development instead of gear acquisition. I joined this forum in part because it’s such a great resource for learning about saddle hunting and the gear one needs to do so. But by its nature I sometimes find that everytime I visit I walk away with GAS for something that I don’t really need. But that’s just me and where I am right now. We are all on unique paths.

Any way is “OK”.

I personally find this challenge appealing simply because it incentivizes me to focus my attention on skill development instead of gear acquisition. I joined this forum in part because it’s such a great resource for learning about saddle hunting and the gear one needs to do so. But by its nature I sometimes find that everytime I visit I walk away with GAS for something that I don’t really need. But that’s just me and where I am right now. We are all on unique paths.

Ding ding ding!

Back