• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hog hunting Help

What’s the incidental take law people keep mentioning, I’ve been hunting all my life and have never heard this before. I’ve tried to read about it but I don’t see what people are seeing about killing hogs. I’ve always just deer hunted but if a hog comes in I kill it. Is the incidental in reference to out of season? I’m confused lol

Edit: after further investigation I’m assuming I’ve never heard of this bc I’ve never tried to hunt hogs out of season on public lol

What’s the incidental take law people keep mentioning, I’ve been hunting all my life and have never heard this before. I’ve tried to read about it but I don’t see what people are seeing about killing hogs. I’ve always just deer hunted but if a hog comes in I kill it. Is the incidental in reference to out of season? I’m confused lol

Edit: after further investigation I’m assuming I’ve never heard of this bc I’ve never tried to hunt hogs out of season on public lol

On public, a lot of people now are using shotguns or rimfires to take hogs outside of firearms season for deer. "Incidental take" is referring to the hunting of hogs with small game equipment essentially because that's the only thing legal to use other than a bow.

On public, a lot of people now are using shotguns or rimfires to take hogs outside of firearms season for deer. "Incidental take" is referring to the hunting of hogs with small game equipment essentially because that's the only thing legal to use other than a bow.
Ahhhh ok that probably the 2nd reason I’ve never heard of it I only use bow lol thanks!

Same here (I gun hunt too for deer but because of public seasons a majority of time is spent with a bow) but I've jumped probably 50 pigs in the last week on the ground scouting. I found some huge bedding areas yesterday and finally giving in and looking into getting a shotgun or 22 wmr to keep after them till the end of the month after deer season closes.

Ahhhh ok that probably the 2nd reason I’ve never heard of it I only use bow lol thanks!
Look at your open season. Say its squirrel season now. Look at the regs and see what is legal to hunt squirrels. That is what is legal to have in the woods and kill a hog with.

Same here (I gun hunt too for deer but because of public seasons a majority of time is spent with a bow) but I've jumped probably 50 pigs in the last week on the ground scouting. I found some huge bedding areas yesterday and finally giving in and looking into getting a shotgun or 22 wmr to keep after them till the end of the month after deer season closes.
Look closely at your regs. I know here 22 wmr is not legal. only long rifle. There is usually a shot size legal requirement also for shotguns. Ours is #2 or smaller shot. As mentioned above, TSS #2 will do a number on them but the down side is its $13 or more a shell.

Hope you get to go.
I did my first backpack hog / javelina hunt this January with a recurve. saw a few javelina . Stalked numerous hogs that slipped away from me . Naturally , I had 9 nice racked desert mule deer within 20 yards .
I wish I tried it sooner , learned a lot and a much more active hunt than northeast whitetail.
I had an invite so no advice to offer other than; just go.

Incidental take has to do with taking an animal that you did not intend to take. This can be with a vehicle, solar farm melting birds, windmills chopping up birds, trapping, mis-identified animals when hunting, etc. Depending on the state and species and methods involved, you're likely off the hook on incidental takes if whatever you were doing was legal. Solar and wind farms have to get incidental take permits from the feds.

Incidental take has to do with taking an animal that you did not intend to take. This can be with a vehicle, solar farm melting birds, windmills chopping up birds, trapping, mis-identified animals when hunting, etc. Depending on the state and species and methods involved, you're likely off the hook on incidental takes if whatever you were doing was legal. Solar and wind farms have to get incidental take permits from the feds.
Thanks! Yeahh the way and when I hunt incidental take doesn’t apply to me so I’ve never had to look into it.

Look closely at your regs. I know here 22 wmr is not legal. only long rifle. There is usually a shot size legal requirement also for shotguns. Ours is #2 or smaller shot. As mentioned above, TSS #2 will do a number on them but the down side is its $13 or more a shell.

The regs just say 22 rimfire, no distinction beyond that. Shotguns are admittedly out of my wheelhouse, I'm pretty sure #6 is the largest in LA but for me I'd probably put in a call before buying anything.

I’m a huge 22wmr fan, and have killed many species of animals with one. I would not hesitate to shoot a hog with a VMax. However, if I was new to hog hunting, and needed a rimfire weapon I’d look hard at a 17wsm in a Savage Bmag. The 17wsm has the same energy @ 200 that a 22mag has @ 100.

Shot placement using either of these calibers is important. I personally would never eat a hog, but I do kill them for eradication purposes. I know some of you don’t agree with this, and have the eat what you kill mentality. But, I bet you would change your mind when you have a hog wallow in your pasture deep enough to hide a tandem axle dump truck. Not to mention they are detrimental to turkey, quail, fawn, and livestock populations. I see them no different than a coyote, possum, coon, or Bobcat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a huge 22wmr fan, and have killed many species of animals with one. I would not hesitate to shoot a hog with a VMax. However, if I was new to hog hunting, and needed a rimfire weapon I’d look hard at a 17wsm in a Savage Bmag. The 17wsm has the same energy @ 200 that a 22mag has @ 100.

Shot placement using either of these calibers is important. I personally would never eat a hog, but I do kill them for eradication purposes. I know some of you don’t agree with this, and have the eat what you kill mentality. But, I bet you would change your mind when you have a hog wallow in your pasture deep enough to hide a tandem axle dump truck. Not to mention they are detrimental to turkey, quail, fawn, and livestock populations. I see them no different than a coyote, possum, coon, or Bobcat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you not eat pork at all, or just not wild hogs? I've heard the taste is (understandably) a bit different, particularly with large boars, but wondering why not eat the smaller ones?

I was actually going to go buy an 870 today. If I was walking the woods with a shotgun instead of a bow the last week I could've taken at least a dozen pigs.

I'm not a shotgun guy at all but as best I could tell, in LA on public land we're limited to no larger than #6 NT shot outside of firearms season. I don't mind spending the extra money on better ammo to extend the range.
That would be incorrect, the only NT size limit listed would be for dove, limiting those to #6 or smaller. Squirrels and rabbits do not have those restrictions

That would be incorrect, the only NT size limit listed would be for dove, limiting those to #6 or smaller. Squirrels and rabbits do not have those restrictions
10-4, that changes my mind on the whole thing. Much more comfortable using larger shot.

Last edited:
I tromp down thousands of acres each year scouting and have yet to see a hog trap on public. They had one on that club I was in. It was minimally effective. Once the hogs left the area they had it in they were too lazy to move the thing. It ended up getting grown over in brush.

I would transplant privet and kudzu around every one I found, lol

Back