• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Turkey Thread

been thinking turkeys a lot. Wearing m2 vest while predator hunting keeps me stoked for turkeys. My season in Michigan starts April 20. After that I’m heading to visit my wife’s family in PA. I’m going to spend may 4th through 13th chasing public turkeys. Having never been to pa before I have no clue what to expect but just being able to hunt will be satisfying enough. Hell if I see a turkey in pa I’ll call it a win lol.
It's definitely a win. Around me the population is catastrophically down. They just shortened our fall turkey season down to a week from what used to be almost 3 weeks of hunting to try to help.

It was nothing on our 1k acre piece of private to have 10+ gobblers on it every year. Id get both my spring tags and fall tag filled out every single year from 2009-2016. Nowadays we have 1 MAYBE 2 the entire season on the property.

It's not about not scouting enough, not hunting hard enough, and not trying enough. The birds simply aren't around anymore.

Man, I got it on my mind something fierce! Going to get a new gun today. Already got a Burris FF3, choke and some TSS ordered. Gonna put it all on a Tristar viper g2 20. Went through my gear and got it all situated.
I started trapping raccoons last year and caught around 55 off our place along with a dozen or so possums. I think that has greatly helped our turkey population. I have noticed an increase of poults as well as 1-2 year old birds. Love to see the local population doing well and my boy love to go check traps

Dang this thread started early! I got my preferred draw here in Wisconsin, but we’re over a month out from my opening day.

I was somehow able to drop 3 birds last year, so that’ll be a tough one to beat. But I’m always up for the challenge!

Dang this thread started early! I got my preferred draw here in Wisconsin, but we’re over a month out from my opening day.

I was somehow able to drop 3 birds last year, so that’ll be a tough one to beat. But I’m always up for the challenge!
Couldn’t take it any longer! Haha good luck bud. I was at 2 last year. Hoping to break that this year!

For what it’s worth on the red dot discussion, I’ve tinkered with my 870 12ga quite a bit, and ended up with the truglo magnum gobble dot. I also can’t bring myself to pay for tss, so I go with the Winchester Long Beard XR 3 inch #6 shot.

I’ve never felt more confident in that gun. Here is a spread of different patterns of brands at different yardages.
E4FB6A5A-C481-4F57-8DC5-AA3E8201FC37_Original.jpeg

I shoot a Remington as well, but a 20 gauge. I run a Carlson tss .555 and it does alright with LongBeard, federal 3rd degree and Apex TSS. I hate paying for the tss, but I also figure it’s more deadly and with more pellets, gives me wiggle room. If I’m not shooting #9tss, I prefer 6 over 5 or 4 shot.

This was from my father’s SP 10 gauge with 2 5/8oz of 9 tss. The number is too high to be 40 yards away. I stepped it off for 40 yards that day as I forgot my rangefinder. Probably closer to 35. 873/ 10 in circle View attachment 99849
Does anyone shooting TSS with those tight chokes worry about close shots? I hunt hardwoods for part of my season which requires close shots, so I’ve always tried to find a balance.

I shoot a Remington as well, but a 20 gauge. I run a Carlson tss .555 and it does alright with LongBeard, federal 3rd degree and Apex TSS. I hate paying for the tss, but I also figure it’s more deadly and with more pellets, gives me wiggle room. If I’m not shooting #9tss, I prefer 6 over 5 or 4 shot.
Does anyone shooting TSS with those tight chokes worry about close shots? I hunt hardwoods for part of my season which requires close shots, so I’ve always tried to find a balance.
Absolutely, I shoot my guns at around 10 yards. I also usually always shoot a more open choke. In my .410 I shoot a .390. In a 20 gauge I’m gonna try to setup I’ll shoot a .585

Here’s my .410 at 13 yards

Attachments

• IMG_0103.png
    IMG_0103.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Anyone got a recommendation for youth turkey guns? I got a single shot 20. Does someone make a lighter load a 9yr old can handel? I may have to see if I can add a choke to the gun...

Anyone got a recommendation for youth turkey guns? I got a single shot 20. Does someone make a lighter load a 9yr old can handel? I may have to see if I can add a choke to the gun...

A regular #6 will work. Don't need anything special, just a good pattern at a workable distance.

My daughter shot her first at 8yo with her xbow.

95a9aff7efae9e41dfe0701fbd06bdab.jpg

Aim small, miss small!

I usually aim a little bit lower on the neck if they are close real close, but I sighted my gun in right before this hunt and was feeling confident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Apex has a 2-3/4” 20 gauge tss load! And are you saying you need another gun too?

A regular #6 will work. Don't need anything special, just a good pattern at a workable distance.

My daughter shot her first at 8yo with her xbow.
I had the crossbow last few years we tried. Never had one come in. After I shot a turkey with my bow last fall I was not pleased with the result. Lot of room for error. Did she do a head shot or a body shot? Which Broadhead?

@Mschmeiske don't we all need a other gun??
But I have an old 20 sitting at my parents house. Figure if I can use it. Why not.

.410 with tss. Give them a more open choke like a.390

Stevens 301 is super light. Top it with a red dot

If you do 20 consider 2 3/4” shells for lighter recoil! You don’t usually lose much payload

Might touch base with Brice Hensley of Fox Trot ammunition. He has a 1 3/8 2 3/4" and if I remember right has made up some lighter loads. Worth an ask.

I need to check my notes, can't remember Hal Abbot had some light loads he sent me or not

Back