• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Turkey Thread

I had the crossbow last few years we tried. Never had one come in. After I shot a turkey with my bow last fall I was not pleased with the result. Lot of room for error. Did she do a head shot or a body shot? Which Broadhead?

@Mschmeiske don't we all need a other gun??
But I have an old 20 sitting at my parents house. Figure if I can use it. Why not.

Body shot. Slick Trick 4 blade.

Never had an issue with a bow and a turkey. Hit'em at the top of the drumstick and down they go.
I wouldn't mind trying a gullitone type of bh once.

Anyone got a recommendation for youth turkey guns? I got a single shot 20. Does someone make a lighter load a 9yr old can handel? I may have to see if I can add a choke to the gun...
I'd look for a 2 3/4 Apex #9 TSS load for hunting. You shoot it at 30 and see how it does pattern wise with the TSS. Let your 9 year old shoot it a few times with the lightest birdshot you can find just for fun and familiarization. In a real hunt, recoil will not be felt or remembered. Just don't put a scope on it with short eye relief. Open sighted or a red dot farther out will be fine.

I'd look for a 2 3/4 Apex #9 TSS load for hunting. You shoot it at 30 and see how it does pattern wise with the TSS. Let your 9 year old shoot it a few times with the lightest birdshot you can find just for fun and familiarization. In a real hunt, recoil will not be felt or remembered. Just don't put a scope on it with short eye relief. Open sighted or a red dot farther out will be fine.
The only ones I’ve ever felt were 2 misses……

Higdon Decoys are pretty good and less expensive. They are a bit bulky to carry but what isn’t for bowhunting turkeys.
Went with these, Bass Pro has the upright and feeder hen combo on clearance and frugile me won out for once since I had a gift card that would pay for them. My son has been driving my wife crazy practicing his calling so I am just going to use that excitement to my advantage; you can go but you have to carry x y and z. Less bulky if I have a pack mule.

Don’t worry about getting a turkey choke either, try it with a factory full and see how it does. TSS is hard so it patterns tighter than lead. Chances are a 9 yr old can’t hit a turkey at 45-50 yards anyway. Also tell him to aim at the base of the neck. Chances are he’s going to jerk it and shoot high. Hell I aim at the base of the neck past 45. Its worked for me quite a few times. I just have to pick a little more shot out of the breast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On another note, I got invited me to go hunt Marian’s on 20k acres of private land in Wyoming in late April. I’m super stoked! It will be just two of us hunting for 3 days, and we are the only ones who will hunt it all yr.

On another note, I got invited me to go hunt Marian’s on 20k acres of private land in Wyoming in late April. I’m super stoked! It will be just two of us hunting for 3 days, and we are the only ones who will hunt it all yr.

Hey bud, thanks for inviting me….its going to be a blast! :p

In all seriousness, that sounds like almost heaven to me! You’re blessed! Pictures please whether you score or not. Enjoy!

Went with these, Bass Pro has the upright and feeder hen combo on clearance and frugile me won out for once since I had a gift card that would pay for them. My son has been driving my wife crazy practicing his calling so I am just going to use that excitement to my advantage; you can go but you have to carry x y and z. Less bulky if I have a pack mule.
They just came out with a folding silhouette gobbler ~ hen combo for $65.
https://higdonoutdoors.com/products/flex-turkey-tom-and-hen-silhouette

Anyone got a recommendation for youth turkey guns? I got a single shot 20. Does someone make a lighter load a 9yr old can handel? I may have to see if I can add a choke to the gun...
I load 1-3/8oz of TSS 9s for my kids in a 2-3/4in 20 gauge hull. It doesn't bother them a bit. They are 9 and 10

It’s crazy how far decoys have come. I have tried all different types and have done the best hunting without a decoy so that’s how I roll.

I always carry the old foam flextones on standby in the truck for some reason though.
Shot a few gobblers with those myself! TIP: Color them up a bit to rejuvenate them with colored sharpies or a good fabric paint. Hard decoys use a model paint or some similar kind of acrylic.

Last edited:
Hey bud, thanks for inviting me….its going to be a blast! :p

In all seriousness, that sounds like almost heaven to me! You’re blessed! Pictures please whether you score or not. Enjoy!

I plan on taking tons of pics. I’ve never been to Wyoming, and I’m really not to concerned about killing a turkey. I’m just excited that I have 20k acres to roam for a few days.

Anyone wanna give out a gear list? I’m trying to get my stuff packed up and man I feel like I’m missing something. Although I don’t take much with me!

Anyone wanna give out a gear list? I’m trying to get my stuff packed up and man I feel like I’m missing something. Although I don’t take much with me!
In my vest is a hydration bladder, glass over slate pot call, two strikers, 2 mouth calls( ghost cut, combo cut) wing bone, box call, TP in a zip lock, a couple granola bars. Sometimes I have a crow call but don't really use it often.

My vest contains:

Box Call
Glass Pot
Copper Pot
Ceramic Pot
4-5 strikers
Mask
Gloves
5 shells
Chalk
Scuffing pad
Thermocell and refills
4-5 mouth calls
Crow call

RUN & GUN:
Chest rig with small binocs, two or three of my home made diaphragms, a “Metal Mouth” from Dave Halloran with two strikers, Hooty Hoot, an old PS Olt crow call, HS Strut hawk screamer, trumpet or wing bone sometimes a Harn box. Marsupial Gear bird bag with a Nalgene pocket, couple of side pouches for gloves, extra gloves, facemask, tp, sand paper, brown or green scrubby for the strikers, I’ll carry blue carpenter chalk and super fine sand paper if I take my box call. Shells, Thermacell with extra pads and butane. Blaze turkey tote bag if on public. I also carry the fleece pad from Treehopper to sit on.

BOWHUNTING FROM A BLIND: Basically everything listed above but add decoys in the MG Large Bird Bag with stakes, after putting in the Ameristep doghouse blind (also fits in large bird bag, I like it because it folds into a round shape that’s easier to carry in a bird bag), and everything is strapped to my Waldrop pac seat. I carry my bow in my left hand and any extra decoys in my right hand. If the weather isn’t going to be bad I’ll have my blind set up the day before I plan to hunt.

Started scouting today and moving some cameras around. I’ve been watching turkey hunting for about a month now. Get back familiar with the wingbone and breaking in a new Cutting 1.5 phram. Ordered some new Kluk calls. Turkey ninja shells on way also. Have plenty but that is not enough. Got a month to go so it’s about to get serious. Listening in the mornings and evenings to keep tabs. I love this time of year.

Back