• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Gear thread

Looks compact and innovative for sure. My concern would be climbing and hanging the rails without them banging something or weighing down my saddle

Looks compact and innovative for sure. My concern would be climbing and hanging the rails without them banging something or weighing down my saddle

They clip together. They are 28oz about the average stick weight. Same weight as custom gear compact sticks if that 28oz does not include strap.

I'm glad these work for some but in my experience 400gr anything without an insulated rubber lower has never been warm enough for stationary hunting.

The website doesn't give the weight of the Buffalo boot. These aren't light and I would guesstimate likely ~1/2lb./ boot more, but these are probably the warmest you'll find for a late season boot.

Extreme 10" - Schnee

Bean made a similar boot with foam insulated rubber lower, now since discontinued. When I couldn’t resole them with same insulated lower I went to these. The Advantage sole works everywhere, mud, snow rocks. Removable liners easy overnight dry without a boot dryer.

They offer 10% off if you subscribe to email.

Hoffman Mountaineers have an insulated rubber lower and the leather upper is still US made and allegedly a bit tougher than Schnee. The felt liner probably puts the Mountaineer close to the Schnee Extreme for warmth, but slightly lighter/less bulky I think. Some swap a felt liner into the Schnee boots, and that’s probably max warmth in this category of boot.

Does the pack system accommodate more than three “rails?”

The Core pack weighs over 7lbs. Even the ARK Maniml is lighter than that, lol.

But this is how all treestand companies should be designing. I mean, they’ve put this whole setup out at sub $400. That’s a feat. But imagine what could be built for $1-2K, lol.

The Core pack weighs over 7lbs. Even the ARK Maniml is lighter than that, lol.

But this is how all treestand companies should be designing. I mean, they’ve put this whole setup out at sub $400. That’s a feat. But imagine what could be built for $1-2K, lol.
The tree stand suspension system is 3.2 Lbs + 3.9 Lbs for the pack.
The TX5 tree stand suspension system is 1Lb.
What's the difference?

PS; those sticks don't look like they have much stand off distance.

Kinda glad I waited they are 25% off now.

Quite the sale. Must be doing some inventory reduction. Not sure if it be the case or not but you might get an additional 10% subscribing to email. Order then unsubscribe. Although it might attach you to some of their partner emails. Great price at 25% off either way.

I like that they thought enough about detail with the platform design to incorporate an angle for the cable mounting point. Alleviating some cable strain at the swage. Too bad they didn't do something similar at the seat post. At least an angled swage eye. They'll sell a ton at that price point.

Hoffman Mountaineers have an insulated rubber lower and the leather upper is still US made and allegedly a bit tougher than Schnee. The felt liner probably puts the Mountaineer close to the Schnee Extreme for warmth, but slightly lighter/less bulky I think. Some swap a felt liner into the Schnee boots, and that’s probably max warmth in this category of boot.

Looks like a quality boot but only 200gr thinsulate lower vs 600gr Schnee's Extreme. (1000gr total w/400gr liner). The lower is where you need the insulation IMO. And Extreme doesn't need a felt liner. Mountaineer are more on par with Schnee's Hunter II. I don't know Hoffman's rubber sole composition/density, etc. but I know Schnee's and it's about perfect everywhere, as well as tread pattern.

Looks like a quality boot but only 200gr thinsulate lower vs 600gr Schnee's Extreme. (1000gr total w/400gr liner). The lower is where you need the insulation IMO. And Extreme doesn't need a felt liner. Mountaineer are more on par with Schnee's Hunter II. I don't know Hoffman's rubber sole composition/density, etc. but I know Schnee's and it's about perfect everywhere, as well as tread pattern.

I can’t say from personal experience, but I think the Hoffman Mountaineers w/ felt are a fair step above the Hunter II for warmth and have some mobility advantages over the Extremes. My brother has the Hoffmans, but never had Schnees. I keep vacillating between the two.

There is however a lot of experience captured by guys and gals who have them both at Rokslide.

Quite the sale. Must be doing some inventory reduction. Not sure if it be the case or not but you might get an additional 10% subscribing to email. Order then unsubscribe. Although it might attach you to some of their partner emails. Great price at 25% off either way.

They ran a sale this time last year too. I sat on the Extremes, and I’m vacillating again this year. If they were Buffalo like the special run Hunter II, I’d bite.

They ran a sale this time last year too. I sat on the Extremes, and I’m vacillating again this year. If they were Buffalo like the special run Hunter II, I’d bite.
I have owned the Schnee Sportsman, Guides, and still own the Extremes and Hunter II, all in 13”. The Sportsman was Schnee‘s attempt at making a cheaper version of their Hunter II model overseas, it worked and they were awesome, I won’t lie.. and I hate stuff like that, soon after they discontinued them and they only kept the USA made Hunter II. The Guides were an unlined version of their pac boot and god awe full on the feet, I gave them away. The Extremes are like having mini snow shoes on your feet, they’re huge, wide, heavy, and built like a tank. The Hunter II are also built like tanks but more nimble for general purpose use than the Extremes. I would highly recommend anyone 6’ or taller stick with at least the 13” height, 13” is the sweet spot in my opinion. Like everything Schnee’s pac boots have their place, the quality is unreal on them, even the laces they come with are better, in my honest opinion I have never thought they were that warm for all the bulk, but I still love them and will always own a pair, they keep your feet bone dry and are tough as nails, I haven’t bought a new pair in close to 8 years so maybe some stuff has changed, I’ve never owned a pair of Hoffmans but I know guys around here are trying them as an alternative.…. I just checked Schnee‘s site, after at least 15 years of wearing their pac boots….some years almost every day all winter for logging/coyote hunting, I would add at least 20* to their rating claims in the description, at a minimum, only adding 20* mite be generous on my part. Those current sale prices are a crazy deal, I paid at least that much back in the day..

Last edited:
Stand 8.6lbs
Gear bag 3.9lbs
Core frame 3.2lbs
Lite Rail 28oz each (5.25lbs for 3)

So the Nested kit is 21lbs

So I can’t judge the weight cuz I don’t know how accurate the weights are on the nested stuff. But if we compare it to actual weights on custom gears setup which I know from experience the weights are a little off.

1.0 8.16 lbs bare add the seat cushion backpack straps etc… it comes up to about 9.5lbs
3 doubles ~5.25lbs add cam straps 6.5lbs
Wolf pack claim 2.4lbs I never weighed mine so I will take their number.

So… ~18.5 lbs for that setup and that does not include a waist belt.

Also… cost $1,260 compared to the $400

Not bad considering….

But… the nested stuff could potentially be a turd. Can’t tell till I get my hands on it’s. I do have high hopes for it though.

Back