• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Boots

USSHornet

SH Member
I need some new boots, I don’t hunt in water or swamps so I am thinking more of a hiking boot style because I do tend to go back at least a mile in the woods and rubber boots seem like they would be uncomfortable. I hunt Ky and mostly Hill Country so climbing briars mud rocks trees are what I deal with.

Just wondering what you guys use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For sitting on stand, switched from rubber boots to a hiker a few years ago, my feet have thanked me countless times since doing so. If I am scouting where I'm sure I'll get into water, or if I'm walking with no intention of stopping where I know theres alot of water, I may wear rubber boots, but it is then a guarantee my feet will sweat in those and they will need dried out.

At home here in the delta it’s rubber boots. When I venture to Oklahoma, Missouri and Texas it’s generally a lot drier. In those dry and sometimes hilly areas I have been wearing leather Irish Setter lace up boots both insulated and non insulated. They are comfortable and have held up well for a few years now with their limited use.

If I was to buy a pair of boots and didn't plan on swamp-slogging, I'd ignore the "hunting boot" options and go straight for a hiking boot and some nice socks. I don't know if the build quality has remained the same, but I had a pair of Merrel hikers once that were very good. I hunted in them quite a bit if I knew I wouldn't be getting in the muck.

@USSHornet I hunt KY too but the swampy part haha. I wear Muck field-blazers for the swampy stuff but for LBL or some public I hunt in central KY I wear Merrells. They are hands down the most comfortable “hunting” boots I’ve had.

I have a pair of Danner pronghorn in 400 gram and love them. Comfortable and waterproof

Cabelas by me carries those. I need some new boots this year I’m gonna try em. Thanks!

I need some new boots, I don’t hunt in water or swamps so I am thinking more of a hiking boot style because I do tend to go back at least a mile in the woods and rubber boots seem like they would be uncomfortable. I hunt Ky and mostly Hill Country so climbing briars mud rocks trees are what I deal with.

Just wondering what you guys use.

Schnee’s Beartooth 200g and a pair of either darn tough or those fancy alpaca socks.

Even the water proof merrels are light and cumfy. Still everybody i know loves the pronghorn.but when its hot i wear trail runing shoes with short gators3932.jpg2579.jpgall 4 seasons and swamps.left to right.trailrunners with short gators,waterproof merrels with tall gators ,18 inch insulated water proof rockeys,and arctic pro insulated rubber boots.the middle two start out waterproof but are realy only water resistant for the bulk of the day in western oregon.the trail runners are breathable and dry out fairly well when its hot if they get soaked in the morning dew.

Last edited:
I got first pair of Merrels 30 years and have tried other brands over the years and always come back to Merrels for light hikers. In the last few years my feet have been bothering me more so If I am hunting from my saddle and it is warm I wear my Crispi Nevadas as they provide better support for my feet on my platform. My most comfortable boots for saddle hunting are my muck artic pros, the footbed is so comfortable for my foot.

Use to wear Danner Powderhorn boots switched to Kenetrek Mountain Extreme Non-insulated Hiking Boot.Great boot and if it's really cold while on stand I put on Artic Shield boot covers that I put stealth strips on to quite them down.

Crispi Valdres at the moment, like then so far! Can’t say I like them more than the Kenetrek’s I had. Time will tell!

Even the water proof merrels are light and cumfy. Still everybody i know loves the pronghorn.but when its hot i wear trail runing shoes with short gatorsView attachment 100357View attachment 100358all 4 seasons and swamps.left to right.trailrunners with short gators,waterproof merrels with tall gators ,18 inch insulated water proof rockeys,and arctic pro insulated rubber boots.the middle two start out waterproof but are realy only water resistant for the bulk of the day in western oregon.the trail runners are breathable and dry out fairly well when its hot if they get soaked in the morning dew.

Those look like a really light effective option for scouting and I’m doing a lot of boots on the ground now because when it greens up and the bugs n ticks I just can’t lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m usually in the normal green lacrosse knee boots until it gets cold then I have insulated knee boots but when I know I’m going to an area where I won’t have to go through water, if it’s early season I just wear my garmont bafidas and when it’s colder these Irish setters are thinsulated and waterproof and quite comfortable, can never go wrong with Irish setter.

Attachments

• 385F29C5-A95C-48CD-992A-67809DA04F1D.jpeg
    385F29C5-A95C-48CD-992A-67809DA04F1D.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 19
I’m usually in the normal green lacrosse knee boots until it gets cold then I have insulated knee boots but when I know I’m going to an area where I won’t have to go through water, if it’s early season I just wear my garmont bafidas and when it’s colder these Irish setters are thinsulated and waterproof and quite comfortable, can never go wrong with Irish setter.

I have a wore out pair of Irish Setters now. I still use them when it’s wet out. I like your short version lighter right now is better plus I could use them for fishing.

Definitely do the hiking boot route. Also, the right insert makes a ton of difference and life of the boot.

Been a Zamberlan fan for the past decade. Virtually indestructible and super comfortable when paired with Superfeet inserts (I like green). Also can’t go wrong with Schnee’s boots either.

I like my lowa renegade gtx boots, plenty of boot for the places I hike (not a ton of super steep side hilling etc like out west), but still relatively light/a bit of flex, and waterproof for the occasional shallow creek/puddle. Even better with superfeet inserts

I bought a pair of Rocky Legacy’s about 3 yrs ago. They have been on two trips to the Glass Mtns in West Tx which contains the sharpest nastiest rocks I’ve ever encountered. I have also put about 160 miles a yr on them turkey hunting, probably 50 miles deer hunting, and 100hrs standing on a platform. They are by far the most comfortable waterproof boots I have ever owned. With that said, I have never owned a pair of high dollar boots like Crispi, or Solomon, but I don’t think I will ever buy anything else as long as I can find the Legacy’s.

Back