• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Turkey Thread

Appears I misconstrued what you meant in the first post when you said crossing property lines, thanks for clarifying. Since I opened my mouth when I didn’t need to before I will again to apologize, it was uncalled for on my part.

What I meant to say in the first place was that’s another way to look at it, good luck this season. Darn autocorrect.

No apology necessary. No offense was taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started turkey hunting when property lines weren’t even taken into consideration. You just went to the bird. I’ve met several hunters over the yrs while setting up on a bird on their property or vice versa. A few of them I still hunt with occasionally. It was an unwritten rule between turkey hunters in the south. If you can get to him and kill him, do it. Then the B-Mobile got introduced, pop up blinds became a thing, and now we have lazy hunters who sit on a food plot waiting on the Tom to show up, instead of using woodsmanship to kill him. To each his own, but IMHO a turkey should never be hunted from a pop up blind with a shotgun unless you have a kid in tow.

I‘m cool with no property lines at all. Never used a blind either, but absolutely don’t look down on those who do. It would be a handicap to me.

Only thing I dont mind hunting from a blind is ducks but even then it lessens the experience. Will and have used them for deer when the situation calls for it but I dont like it. Only time I would consider it for turkeys is in the rain. Just not a fan of blinds, nothing wrong with using them imo, I just dont care for them.

Only thing I dont mind hunting from a blind is ducks but even then it lessens the experience. Will and have used them for deer when the situation calls for it but I dont like it. Only time I would consider it for turkeys is in the rain. Just not a fan of blinds, nothing wrong with using them imo, I just dont care for them.
Same boat. I prefer leaning up against a tree where I can see everything around me when it comes to ducks.

In my short stint of bowhunting turkey I still didn't use a blind. Found good cover or the largest tree trunk I can find.

While shed hunting yesterday I walked up on a flock of hens with a full strut Tom prancing through them. I think I managed to get out of there without spooking them. Season is way too far away for this behavior.

So my texas trip is looking like it may fall through. Landowner had a heart attack a few weeks back. He's doing well so far.

That leaves my 2024 out of state plans in the air. I'm scrambling honestly. Unless I can get lucky, kansas is out due to the new non res draw in.

Nebraska? Anyone have insight to a decent area for a public land gobbler out there or maybe Colorado?

So my texas trip is looking like it may fall through. Landowner had a heart attack a few weeks back. He's doing well so far.

That leaves my 2024 out of state plans in the air. I'm scrambling honestly. Unless I can get lucky, kansas is out due to the new non res draw in.

Nebraska? Anyone have insight to a decent area for a public land gobbler out there or maybe Colorado?
I wanna say I heard Nebraska sold all their non res tags but I could be wrong. I’d look it up to confirm.

Man there’s so many opportunities for otc tags! I’d set my sights on Colorado and not look back. Where ya from bud? Seems like you’re willing to travel and there opportunity everywhere

I wanna say I heard Nebraska sold all their non res tags but I could be wrong. I’d look it up to confirm.

Man there’s so many opportunities for otc tags! I’d set my sights on Colorado and not look back. Where ya from bud? Seems like you’re willing to travel and there opportunity everywhere
Near Tulsa. My dream is to eventually kill a bird from all 49 states. I have oklahoma (obviously) , kansas, and Missouri checked off.

Not sure I want to try arkansas yet though and a mountain Merriam is what I've been dying to go tangle with.

Last edited:
Near Tulsa. My dream is to eventually kill a bird from all 48 states. I have oklahoma (obviously) , kansas, and Missouri checked off.

Not sure I want to try arkansas yet though and a mountain Merriam is what I've been dying to go tangle with.
Arkansas is a good place to come try when you are wanting to get your teeth kicked in. Our turkey hunting sucks so bad compared to what it used to be. In 80 something miles of deer scouting on public last spring ahead of turkey season, I saw 1 strutter with a couple hens and heard a grand total of zero gobbles.

Arkansas is a good place to come try when you are wanting to get your teeth kicked in. Our turkey hunting sucks so bad compared to what it used to be. In 80 something miles of deer scouting on public last spring ahead of turkey season, I saw 1 strutter with a couple hens and heard a grand total of zero gobbles.
Arkansas will probably be the last of the 49 states for me to complete lol.

I've got an in to Hawaii whenever I want to plan it. Keep trying to talk the wife into it.

Back