• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Turkey Thread

So my texas trip is looking like it may fall through. Landowner had a heart attack a few weeks back. He's doing well so far.

That leaves my 2024 out of state plans in the air. I'm scrambling honestly. Unless I can get lucky, kansas is out due to the new non res draw in.

Nebraska? Anyone have insight to a decent area for a public land gobbler out there or maybe Colorado?

Look into getting a left over WY tag, and a SD tag. Hunt the Black Hills on both sides of the border, and knock out 2 states at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been invited to go as a spectator sun and mon on a quota hunt. I'm a total newb so I need as much experience as I can get. He's been out scouting and located some birds....maybe something about kayaks...I don't know but sounds fun. Looking forward to learning something..calling for rain 1 of the days

And then my dad finagled me in a spot to hunt private land in April a little less than 2 hours west. 200 acres and 4 or 5 hunters....I have no idea what to expect there. It's a friend of the family's land and from all I can gather is his son's aren't too keen on other people hunting out there. I could be wrong but that's the impression I get. Maybe if I'm real lucky this could lead to some deer hunting invites. They got big deers out that way compared to my local coastal whitetail. Weird how they can be so different just a relatively short distance away.

Patience is the key with turkeys. Depending on what gobbling cycle they are in, Tom’s can be super easy to attract or they have hens with them. When they are “all henned up,” try to tick off the hen with aggressive cuts and cutting. If they start and keep calling out, mimic what the hen does. The gobbler(s) will be in tow.

Also from a property use standpoint on 200acres, take the approach that you would rather not pressure the birds and that you’re not going to run and gun but scout to find out where they are most likely strutting. Once you find those strut zones, set up to intercept them going to those zones after fly down. This may be a strategy that is more acceptable to all users giving everyone a chance to call to relatively unpressured birds. Run and gun is fun but no t always the best tactic in private parcels where several people are trying to have success.

NAP Spitfires, Grim Reaper Whitetail Special 2”, The bigger the cutting diameter the better. Gonna try the Slick Trick Assailant this season. I got them on sale a couple of years ago. I also like the NAP Shock Wave for turkeys but they don’t make it anymore I don’t believe.

fb2e8c8b0c54757d605f8ecdee263a0e.jpg

a18f855946c71b2f631630d403920e75.jpg

Got ahold of one yesterday morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back