• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Turkey Thread

If you want the very best possible patterns and pellet counts, the Federals are better than LBXR or any other lead offerings, but they pale in comparison to more custom/small batch loads available now. Federals can work with the right choke, but is like using a Hawk saddle vs a TX5. They both work, but the TX5 is better in any way you want to compare them except it is not cheap. In the case of Federals, they have increased their prices so much that you actually pay more for poorer performance these days.

Hmm…I’ll have to check into that once my 3 remaining federal shells are gone. I did try the herter’s 20 gauge offering yesterday. Pic is at 20 steps. I was impressed at the price and the pattern. Steven’s 301 with factory choke.
18ce66f76f37f41cecc0920f61c1602b.jpg

Alright I’ve debated posting here but… never turkey hunted before but wanna try my hand at this season. There are only a few tracts of public that are in areas that may even hold turkeys. I have a Primos box call, a ground blind and my bow. No shotgun.

My main question is the best way to get started even finding them. I have seen turkey tracks on public before in open clear cuts. I have not gone out early or in evening to try listen, nor really scouted for them before. Is that the best way to verify if they are even around? We don’t have a huge population in SE LA and while I wanna try my hand, I also don’t wanna go balls to the wall for something that’s not there, so to speak.
Listen for gobbles & look for scratching, it will look like 20 scrapes all within eyesight. If you can find that there should be droppings or feathers…….

I have been off grid for a bit. Is there some issue with the federals that I’m not tracking?
I’ve heard of “consistency” issues with them but that’s any load that is loaded in large quantities. I shot them and they didn’t hold a candle to apex loads for me. Could have just been the wrong setup though!

Apex is a great shell, they patterned wonderfully with my 12ga. However, my 20, and my son’s 410 patterns better with Boss Tom. I haven’t tried Apex in the 28 yet. I’ll probably wait until next yr to try Apex in my 28. I’ve got it dialed in, and turkey season opened yesterday. That means it’s time to start killing, and stop testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tested out the 20 gauge double with the TSS#9 Federals today. It was terribly windy so the test was hard to set up. The paper kept blowing over. Anyway, this is what I got. The right barrel (improved) at .605 choke gave 146 pellets in 10 inches at 40 yards. The left barrel (Modified) at .595 gave 74 pellets in 10 inches at 40 yards. This was opposite of what I expected. I expected the tighter choke to deliver a tighter group. Weird.

I'm not sure what to make of that. I'd like to try Apex #9 out of it sometime. I looked today on the way back and my local place had sold out of 20 gauge. They had 10, 12, and 410.

Also, I have a pretty good bruise from the TSS and the 3" magnum 6's and 4"s I also tested in the little double. I hate patterning shotguns.

Attachments

• tss 20 left barrel 40 yds.jpg
    tss 20 left barrel 40 yds.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 16
  • tss 20 right barrel 40 yds.jpg
    tss 20 right barrel 40 yds.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 16
I tested out the 20 gauge double with the TSS#9 Federals today. It was terribly windy so the test was hard to set up. The paper kept blowing over. Anyway, this is what I got. The right barrel (improved) at .605 choke gave 146 pellets in 10 inches at 40 yards. The left barrel (Modified) at .595 gave 74 pellets in 10 inches at 40 yards. This was opposite of what I expected. I expected the tighter choke to deliver a tighter group. Weird.

I'm not sure what to make of that. I'd like to try Apex #9 out of it sometime. I looked today on the way back and my local place had sold out of 20 gauge. They had 10, 12, and 410.

Also, I have a pretty good bruise from the TSS and the 3" magnum 6's and 4"s I also tested in the little double. I hate patterning shotguns.
I think heavy tss loads are worse than my 460 Wby. I use a lead sled always when patterning turkey loads

I think heavy tss loads are worse than my 460 Wby. I use a lead sled always when patterning turkey loads
They are on par with the recoil of several elephant guns I have shot including the 458 Lott and Magnum and 470 Nitro Express. My main turkey gun is brutal because it is very lightweight, chambered for 3 1/2 shells, and the stock has a fair amount of drop. It's a Mossberg 535 12 gauge. It's great to carry, and no big deal when I am shooting a turkey, but I am very happy to never pattern it again. I also have switched to 3 inch 2 ounce loads of my home rolled TSS. I can't tell the difference in lethality between the 3 and 3 1/2 in the woods and it saves me a 1/2 ounce of TSS.

I've been out three days and have yet to hear a single gobble. The first day I walked maybe 4 miles, the second day I put in between 7 and 8 miles and yesterday I trekked about 4 miles. I just don't think the turkeys are gobbling much yet. A couple of my friends who hunt good private have reported the same.

Saw 3 strutters coming out from the boat ramp at the river Saturday. They will prolly be dead before season opens though.

I always shoot them out of the low turkey chair just as I would in the woods. I want the same sort of hold for patterning as I will have when it is for real. It might not make a difference, but it makes me feel better, lol. Well, except for my shoulder.

Saw 3 strutters coming out from the boat ramp at the river Saturday. They will prolly be dead before season opens though.
Why do you think they will be dead before season? Poaching, drowning, predators?

They are on par with the recoil of several elephant guns I have shot including the 458 Lott and Magnum and 470 Nitro Express. My main turkey gun is brutal because it is very lightweight, chambered for 3 1/2 shells, and the stock has a fair amount of drop. It's a Mossberg 535 12 gauge. It's great to carry, and no big deal when I am shooting a turkey, but I am very happy to never pattern it again. I also have switched to 3 inch 2 ounce loads of my home rolled TSS. I can't tell the difference in lethality between the 3 and 3 1/2 in the woods and it saves me a 1/2 ounce of TSS.

I've been out three days and have yet to hear a single gobble. The first day I walked maybe 4 miles, the second day I put in between 7 and 8 miles and yesterday I trekked about 4 miles. I just don't think the turkeys are gobbling much yet. A couple of my friends who hunt good private have reported the same.

I believe most people will find that 3” loads pattern better than 3-1/2”. 3-1/2” seem to blow out the pattern. My shoulder sure loved me the day I figured that out. I used to launch 2-3 cases of 3-1/2” a yr at waterfowl.

I believe most people will find that 3” loads pattern better than 3-1/2”. 3-1/2” seem to blow out the pattern. My shoulder sure loved me the day I figured that out. I used to launch 2-3 cases of 3-1/2” a yr at waterfowl.

Yes, the 3 1/2 is really cramming a 10 gauge load in a 12 gauge bore. In a 3 inch shell with #9 TSS there are already so many pellets I don't think it makes any real difference. the 3 inch shells kick marginally less, kill just as well, and are less costly.

Par for the course in my neck of PA. Birds are extirpated from the region. Most depressing thing I've ever seen

Back