• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Turkey Thread

Maybe I said this in the thread already, when I took my bear to the PA check station, The guy who checked my bear in is the head turkey biologist in my region.
I picked his brain for probably a half hour. He said the number one reason turkeys are down in the region is predation. Lots of foxes, fishers, weasels etc. Second thing is hens are absolutely horrible at picking nesting sites. They pick spots too easily identifiable to predators.
Third, he said they followed 50 radio collared hens last year. He suggested hens will generally make a second nest if the first fails. Of those 50 hens they produced 84 nests. Of those 84 nests, only 4 made poults that made it.

Behind the scenes, him and many other biologists are suggestings the complete ban of hen turkey hunting in the fall. Even if you killed 99% of the males in a given area, just 1 Jake can go to work on those hens and you'd be alright.

The commissions pushback is if they stopped hen hunting, they'd get huge pushback from longtime traditional hunters and potential lose license sales.
There are lots of variables that impact turkey recruitment. Predation is a big one for sure. Around here it is coons, possums and skunks that are the primary nest raiders. Coyotes and bobcats work on the poults once hatched and nesting hens. Habitat is a huge issue and that varies by region. In some places it is a lack of understory cover from poor timber management or the complete lack of. In other areas it is changes in farming practices. Landscape level habitat changes also influence the populations and efficiency of their hunting of the predator base. Weather is another big variable. Flooding can wipe out an entire season of recruitment. Cold rains after poults hatch and before they are fully feathered can be hard or wipe out recruitment in areas. Reaping and TSS are hunt method changes that make humans more efficient at killing gobblers. They make it so folks that otherwise might not kill a turkey but every once in a while if ever, can fairly consistently kill birds. Deer feeding in places can also contribute to bird loss if you have an aflatoxin issue or a break out of blackhead. There is an awful lot that impacts turkey that we have no control over but there are a lot of things we do. Like sick humans though, we tend to first treat the symptom rather than the cause. Not sure what all the right answers are but I dont see regulations and/or incentive programs generally moving in the direction of treating the cause. We seem to be stuck on the symptoms.

We havent had a fall season here in a LONG time. No jakes for adults here either.

In our area of NE FL some hens have already started nesting. Was digging soil classification pits on a future project of mine today and flushed a hen of her nest with the excavator. She came up about 10’ from the track in a briar thicket and flew about 2 trees and lit. We turned the machine away from her and picked a different route though the trees to where we were going. Came back to the transport from a different area so as to not disturb her. Fortunately for her the job went tack place for couple months so she should be hatched out and gone by then.

There are lots of variables that impact turkey recruitment. Predation is a big one for sure. Around here it is coons, possums and skunks that are the primary nest raiders. Coyotes and bobcats work on the poults once hatched and nesting hens. Habitat is a huge issue and that varies by region. In some places it is a lack of understory cover from poor timber management or the complete lack of. In other areas it is changes in farming practices. Landscape level habitat changes also influence the populations and efficiency of their hunting of the predator base. Weather is another big variable. Flooding can wipe out an entire season of recruitment. Cold rains after poults hatch and before they are fully feathered can be hard or wipe out recruitment in areas. Reaping and TSS are hunt method changes that make humans more efficient at killing gobblers. They make it so folks that otherwise might not kill a turkey but every once in a while if ever, can fairly consistently kill birds. Deer feeding in places can also contribute to bird loss if you have an aflatoxin issue or a break out of blackhead. There is an awful lot that impacts turkey that we have no control over but there are a lot of things we do. Like sick humans though, we tend to first treat the symptom rather than the cause. Not sure what all the right answers are but I dont see regulations and/or incentive programs generally moving in the direction of treating the cause. We seem to be stuck on the symptoms.

We havent had a fall season here in a LONG time. No jakes for adults here either.
I’m also reading/hearing a lot that the earlier starting youth seasons have potentially impacted mating causing delays from the early take of a dominant Tom. Pecking order has to be re established in that location and that assumes there are subordinate TOMS ready to take over. Some areas have been devoid of that spartan bench which further causes mating delay and perhaps none at all.

I’m also reading/hearing a lot that the earlier starting youth seasons have potentially impacted mating causing delays from the early take of a dominant Tom. Pecking order has to be re established in that location and that assumes there are subordinate TOMS ready to take over. Some areas have been devoid of that spartan bench which further causes mating delay and perhaps none at all.
Here's the question though, other than species that mate for life maybe, name a species that a subordinate male wont breed at the first opportunity when the dominant male is removed or just not looking. Are the subordinate males going to fight for a while to establish dominance, most likely. Not sure I buy that they wont breed at any given chance before then though.

Here's the question though, other than species that mate for life maybe, name a species that a subordinate male wont breed at the first opportunity when the dominant male is removed or just not looking. Are the subordinate males going to fight for a while to establish dominance, most likely. Not sure I buy that they wont breed at any given chance before then though.

Yeah, I’m with you on that. Just from seeing Jake’s and subordinate Toms rubbing one out when another Tom is breeding a hen makes me think that turkeys are no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went out with a friend of mine this morning and we rode all over one of the clubs he is a member of and called at probably 15 different spots. We didn't hear any gobbles. It seemed like a good morning for them to fire off. It was sunny and calm. Crazy birds, lol.

Meanwhile, about 20 miles to the South another friend of mine on another club got into some good action resulting in both he and his daughter getting a nice gobble each. You never can tell.

Dialing in for turkey. This is 25 yards sitting in my pac seat. I know these are not great groups but I’m happy because unfortunately my dominant eye has been giving me fits the last six months or so or least since I began to notice it. Everything is blurry when I just look through my right (dominant) eye. Red dots, sight pins etc, I’m seeing fuzzy doubles or weird shapes. My left eye is perfect. Going to my ophthalmologist in mid April to see what’s going on. I just had an eye exam in September and I can see almost 20/15 with both eyes still but with glasses. Before my mid teens I had 20/15 vision uncorrected. My script hardly changed from the year before last fall and they said I didn’t need new glasses. Not sure what’s going on. Anyway, I’m happy with this group. Probably going to shoot the shotgun off the left side with the red dot this spring. Ugh!!! Blows to get old!!!

Any eye docs in the group with some sage advice??

Attachments

• IMG_5930.jpeg
    IMG_5930.jpeg
    723.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Ugh!!! Blows to get old!!!

You're not alone . . . my right eye (dominant eye) has been noticeably degrading faster than my left the last few years as far as I'm concerned. This has not been correlated with my annual eye exams, prescription unchanged, but I can definitely tell there's a difference.

You're not alone . . . my right eye (dominant eye) has been noticeably degrading faster than my left the last few years as far as I'm concerned. This has not been correlated with my annual eye exams, prescription unchanged, but I can definitely tell there's a difference.
Have you gone in for further testing or anything?

Boyne like I said before you are still a young punk kid yet... LOL

Even a blind guy like me should be able to get a tom! Bakers Dozen.Bakers Dozen.JPG

Back