• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Off-Season Getting/Staying In Shape Motivation Thread

I’m 53 and 260 lbs and noticeably not in good shape. My family recently joined a local gym and I’m going at least 2x per week. Focusing mostly on losing around 40 lbs and getting my endurance up. I’m not trying to become a body builder, I just want to be able to walk through the woods here in East TN without getting so winded. Good luck to everyone on their journey.
If you want to transform yourself it is as simple as making a sustained decision. Its a marathon not a sprint so just make the decision that 3-4 days a week, you are going to do the work, period.

Wife loves to run, has for years. We had to go to the gym though cause she's nursing achilles tendonitis. :rolleyes:
yeah I get it. I have a treadmill at home too that I use if it is really nasty out. There is a world of difference in results between treadmill and actual running. At one point I thought I was better than I was because the treadmill was tricking me.

yeah I get it. I have a treadmill at home too that I use if it is really nasty out. There is a world of difference in results between treadmill and actual running. At one point I thought I was better than I was because the treadmill was tricking me.
Oh I am under no illusions that I am a good runner or that I ever will be, lol. Running on concrete has always killed my knees when I have tried it in the past but it has been a minute.

If you want to transform yourself it is as simple as making a sustained decision. Its a marathon not a sprint so just make the decision that 3-4 days a week, you are going to do the work, period.
Thanks for the encouragement and that’s where I’m at. I can get around ok, am on no meds, and and in general am pretty healthy, just not in the shape I want to be in for hunting more efficiently and more effectively. So, time to change that. It helps that my daughters are going to the gym as well.

Thanks for the encouragement and that’s where I’m at. I can get around ok, am on no meds, and and in general am pretty healthy, just not in the shape I want to be in for hunting more efficiently and more effectively. So, time to change that. It helps that my daughters are going to the gym as well.
Understand exactly where you are coming from. I think 7 years ago I went on my first elk hunt in SW CO. Thought it might be a little rough so got back in the gym a bit a few months before the trip after not having been in a gym in over 20 years. Was hunting with a couple of guys a good bit younger and in way better shape. I got completely freakin humbled and made my decision on the side of a mountain somewhere around 11k feet that I would never show up for another hunt unprepared physically or at least not in the shape I was then. I have no fitness goals at all other than continual improvement. That means I keep pushing myself in all the different things we do to improve. I pretty much live in a perpetual state of soreness except during hunting season when I will dial things back just a bit. I figure if I am pushing myself enough to stay sore, I'm getting better. One step at a time and embrace the suck, just like climbing a mountain.

@Nutterbuster @tylerray378 @NMSbowhunter @Marmuzz @BTaylor @Jtaylor @Will Harris @Seekbigger @Horn @GreginPA @casts_by_fly @raisins @Kayl @Exhumis @HuskerInIowa @Dcomer55 @bigmike23 @woodsdog2 @Archerichards @Islandshooter @katiesmom @Jammintree @kbetts @Camelcluch @BuffaloBill @Cotehex @elk yinzer @Wlog @The_Fit_Ness_Monster @GeoFish @shmelton @Sbrammer @Dmathews87 @sweats @Bigterp @BuckTown @GCTerpfan @khnc @Gator @John RB @Swampwalker @Albisu @NimbleTimbo @2Sloe @Jagger0502 @ImThere @mschultz373 @CharlieTN

whew that was a workout, I think I got everyone. (as an aside, is there an easier way to see everyone that's posted in a thread than scrolling through the whole thing?)

If you're mentioned here, you've replied to the thread at least once and I want to hear from you again. Some of you check in regularly, some may be tired of regularly hearing about my slow runs lol. I dont care if you're running, walking, hitting the gym, chopping wood, scouting, crossfitting, digging a hole, or doing something else, get out there and get after it! how's everyone doing roughly 1/4 of the way into 2024? no time like the present to keep the consistency going, or to get back on the wagon!

@Nutterbuster @tylerray378 @NMSbowhunter @Marmuzz @BTaylor @Jtaylor @Will Harris @Seekbigger @Horn @GreginPA @casts_by_fly @raisins @Kayl @Exhumis @HuskerInIowa @Dcomer55 @bigmike23 @woodsdog2 @Archerichards @Islandshooter @katiesmom @Jammintree @kbetts @Camelcluch @BuffaloBill @Cotehex @elk yinzer @Wlog @The_Fit_Ness_Monster @GeoFish @shmelton @Sbrammer @Dmathews87 @sweats @Bigterp @BuckTown @GCTerpfan @khnc @Gator @John RB @Swampwalker @Albisu @NimbleTimbo @2Sloe @Jagger0502 @ImThere @mschultz373 @CharlieTN

whew that was a workout, I think I got everyone. (as an aside, is there an easier way to see everyone that's posted in a thread than scrolling through the whole thing?)

If you're mentioned here, you've replied to the thread at least once and I want to hear from you again. Some of you check in regularly, some may be tired of regularly hearing about my slow runs lol. I dont care if you're running, walking, hitting the gym, chopping wood, scouting, crossfitting, digging a hole, or doing something else, get out there and get after it! how's everyone doing roughly 1/4 of the way into 2024? no time like the present to keep the consistency going, or to get back on the wagon!
I find people like you better when you show up with donuts rather than accountability. :p But it is up to us to set a mostly good example.

Quads are getting a little better. Doing more like active recovery, or trying anyway. I'd say I ought to back it off a tad but if I feel good Tues, count on me pushing hard again lol. Probably backing off running for now. I'll get back at it after I get adjusted though

See above lol my usual daily pull-ups, rings and sled drags along with day to day chores, coming into summer now it’s my most active time aka grass cutting season, I push mow 1.2 acres of grass at the hottest part of the day once sometimes twice a week, between it and weedeating it takes ~ 2hr10min it’s my extra HIIT during the hot months

I had joked that you all needed to check on me after my snowboarding trip, well I did injure my elbow (torn UCL) but I continue to shed hunt hard and participate in my son's baseball practices and do normal chores. You youg'ns just wait!

I had joked that you all needed to check on me after my snowboarding trip, well I did injure my elbow (torn UCL) but I continue to shed hunt hard and participate in my son's baseball practices and do normal chores. You youg'ns just wait!
Where is that young/old line anyway? Diver license says 55 but I identify as 29. ;) Apparently you do as well with your snowboarding.

Not going well or consistent but trying. This semester has been extremely busy and stressful. At this point I’ve let go of any specific weight loss goals and am just exercising as a destressing mechanism. Yesterday I started Couch to 5k again. Years ago I used to run and enjoyed it. I have hopes of working up to 3-5 miles regularly but need to start slow and steady since somehow in the past 3 years I got multiple hip, knee, and foot issues flaring up.

I haven' really been posting, just been following along a little but, I have been pretty consistent with my weight training since the first of the year. Not really doing any cardio at the moment just eating in a calorie surplus and lifting, trying to put on some lean muscle mass. Planning on adding some cardio soon to get ready for a trip to CO in July that will be mostly hiking.

I just got an email about the OV 100 mile challenge for this summer and am thinking about joining it though. The free hoody and 3 month subscription to Mtn Tough more than pay for the entry fee. You can do the 100 miles in multiple trips so it will give me a little more motivation to get out and do some overnight backpack trips with my 14 yr old son this summer.

I haven' really been posting, just been following along a little but, I have been pretty consistent with my weight training since the first of the year. Not really doing any cardio at the moment just eating in a calorie surplus and lifting, trying to put on some lean muscle mass. Planning on adding some cardio soon to get ready for a trip to CO in July that will be mostly hiking.

I just got an email about the OV 100 mile challenge for this summer and am thinking about joining it though. The free hoody and 3 month subscription to Mtn Tough more than pay for the entry fee. You can do the 100 miles in multiple trips so it will give me a little more motivation to get out and do some overnight backpack trips with my 14 yr old son this summer.

Considering this! Too bad I can’t get credit for some turkey miles. Gotta sign up by Sunday though….

Oh me, same story as every year. Get motivated after season in January, go hard, hurt myself, spend a few months healing, then get back at it lol. Went hard on the dips, leading to inflammation of my shoulder, leading to frozen shoulder, leading to MRI with 50% tear in one of the tendons. Finally worked through it and have most of the mobility back. Happens every year. The mind is willing, the body not so much. I just shifted to working on the chicken legs, so I didn’t lose much. I’m learning to pace my self and stay away from anything too heavy. More reps and sets vice more pounds on the bar. Still have a lot of work to do…..

Planning on adding some cardio soon to get ready for a trip to CO in July that will be mostly hiking.
You should look at bagging a “14er” while you are there. Over 50 14,000 ft Peaks that are just begging to be climbed with most having well defined and maintained trails to the top. I bagged about 26 while I was stationed at NORAD and all offer amazing views for sure! One stop shopping right here for everything you need to pick a peak based on difficulty/exposure level and all the tools such as maps, trail photos, directions, etc. to have a safe hike.

In July you want to get started at the crack of dawn and be below the tree line by 2PM to avoid thunder bumpers/lightning. Check them out!

IMG_7250.jpegIMG_7248.jpeg
IMG_7249.jpeg

Back